R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 800 Plug-In  (Read 92621 times)

Bubba#$%Kron

Re: Studer 800 Plug-In
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »

How did you get a pic of my real doll??!!!

maxim wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 15:11

index.php/fa/16170/0/

"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

zmix

« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2011, 02:28:46 PM »

svs95 wrote on Wed, 26 January 2011 00:49

Yes I read your post from earlier today, Chuck. It's the only way I knew you had sent out the revised mixes. I'm just saying they're not "entirely objective" as you put it, because there's a prejudice against revisions of a completed project.

However it was the complete body of posts prior to that which I was referring to. I look forward to your posting back with further experiences.

I agree with you about the importance of calibrating this plug-in to get desired results (which may or may not mean factory calibration). There are so many variables that, even though it might be found by trial and error, it helps to have a background with analog tape, and Studers in particular, to know where to start tweaking for a given result.

If you'll please reply to the PM I sent you before your last post, I'll remind you how you know me, and how we both know "Yammer." Since we haven't discussed it before, if you want to know more about my (non-celebrity) work, I can do that while we're at it.

Thank you for changing tack on this topic. I hope it encourages others to work with this thing and give experience-based feedback.

No Problem.. thanks for the clarifying PM...

Like they say: "Never Judge a Man until you've walked a mile in his shoes"

... ( Because that way if you piss him off, he's a mile away and barefoot!!!)

Cheers,

svs95

« Reply #242 on: February 08, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »

zmix wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 16:57

I have used the UAD A800 quite a bit and I love certain aspects of what it can do, once it's calibrated properly it can be really nice on certain sounds... But,  I do feel that  it can be improved, and I've already contacted UA about these aspects..

You think calibration could be made to correlate better to the hardware?

zmix wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 16:57

I have a song up on the burner at the moment that I intend to use to put the UAD A800 through it's paces..   I'll let you know.

How did that turn out? I assume you tried the UAD A800 on multiple tracks of the project (rather than on the mix)?
Stephen Smith
Soundsmiths Mastering, Inc.
www.soundsmiths.net

mcsnare

« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »

I haven't had tons of time with it, but so far I'm lovin' the A-800. Those other UAD joints ain't bad, either.

Dave

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #244 on: February 08, 2011, 09:53:06 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Tue, 08 February 2011 17:58

I haven't had tons of time with it, but so far I'm lovin' the A-800. Those other UAD joints ain't bad, either.

Dave

i agree !!!

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Len

« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »

The latest issue of Sound on Sound A/Bs the UAD against a real studer in one of Sweden's top studios.  Basically the UAD came out equal.  The electronic edition should be available over the next couple of days.

kats

« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2011, 07:51:53 AM »

Len wrote on Thu, 17 February 2011 06:46

The latest issue of Sound on Sound A/Bs the UAD against a real studer in one of Sweden's top studios.  Basically the UAD came out equal.  The electronic edition should be available over the next couple of days.

Haha, integrity at it's finest.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Peller

« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »

Tony,

It took a lot of work to put the UAD / Studer comparison together, and it's disappointing to see our "integrity" being mocked by someone who doesn't even seem to have read it. Why so dismissive?

For anyone who does want to read it, the March issue is on our site now. The article text is only accessible by subscribers, but the audio examples are available for free download by anyone:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/articles/uadaudio.htm

To say that the two came out equal is perhaps not quite the point. It might be better to say that -- with a lot of close listening and parameter changes -- our author felt he was able to match most aspects of the real tape machine's sound with the plug-in. There were some remaining differences on the bass guitar, but these were likely down to the transformer input stage on the machine he tested, which is not modelled in the UA plug-in.

Universal Audio were not involved in any way in the tests, nor have they seen the text before publication.

I would be interested to know what PSW'ers make of the comparison...

Sam from SOS

Jay Kadis

« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »

A pertinent interview with Dave Berners of Universal Audio:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/02/modeling-analog-in-a-d igital-age-a-conversation-with-universal-audios-chief-scient ist

kats

« Reply #249 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:06 AM »

Well Peller, my apologies to offend your work. The post above mine says that your conclusions are that the plugin is basically equal to tape. This is an impossible statement.

I did however just read your article and it seems that your conclusions are that the Plugin  exhibits compression characterstics very similar to 456 @ 15ips, although not quite the same.

These two statements are vastly different. I wrongly assumed that the poster was being factual.

I didn't bother to listen to your samples since a big reason to use tape is for it's resolution, not it's compression characteristics.   If you consider that there are 80 million N-S binary transactions per second  at 15ips on your typical recorder, you posting sound samples at 44.1 or 96k of tape recordings and then comparing them to digital recordings is nonsensical because now your just comparing digital to digital. IE, you are now just comparing the tape artifacts to the plugin.

Which is absolutely fine if presented this way. The proper thing to say if your trying to be intellectually honest would be that the UA plugin faithfully captures all the negative artifacts of tape recording. Otherwise you are misleading your readers who might not know better.
Tony K.

Podgorny

« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »

So Tony, have you figured out that non-digital music distribution medium for the 21st century yet?
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

kats

« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »

Am I supposed to take that statement seriously?
Tony K.

Len

« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2011, 08:21:24 AM »

kats wrote on Sun, 20 February 2011 13:49

Well Peller, my apologies to offend your work. The post above mine says that your conclusions are that the plugin is basically equal to tape. This is an impossible statement.

I did however just read your article and it seems that your conclusions are that the Plugin  exhibits compression characterstics very similar to 456 @ 15ips, although not quite the same.

These two statements are vastly different. I wrongly assumed that the poster was being factual.

I didn't bother to listen to your samples since a big reason to use tape is for it's resolution, not it's compression characteristics.   If you consider that there are 80 million N-S binary transactions per second  at 15ips on your typical recorder, you posting sound samples at 44.1 or 96k of tape recordings and then comparing them to digital recordings is nonsensical because now your just comparing digital to digital. IE, you are now just comparing the tape artifacts to the plugin.

Which is absolutely fine if presented this way. The proper thing to say if your trying to be intellectually honest would be that the UA plugin faithfully captures all the negative artifacts of tape recording. Otherwise you are misleading your readers who might not know better.

Oh fer cryin out loud.  I merely wanted to let people know the article existed so people could read it.  I was not going to precis the whole thing!  "Basically equal" was simply meant to say that the UAD was close in many ways to the original so that some of the enthusiasm we have been reading in the previous pages of this thread might be justified, so one should go and read the SOS article.

kats

« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »

"Basically equal" is a pretty bold statement Len. That means you could replace a Studer 800 with a plugin. But I don't blame you as Sam from SOS isn't taking your claim to task and instead is coming down on me for disputing the claim.

This suggests to me that they intended the reader to be left with the impression that you presented here.
Tony K.

Len

« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2011, 12:33:04 PM »

Argh - these forums do my head in.  I think most reasonable people know that a plug in is a plug in and hardware is hardware.  No matter what plug in you use, there will be a trade off compared with using hardware, but at the same time some benefits re convenience and price.  If someone on this board of audio professionals is going to read "basically equal" to mean "Oh my God I'm never going to have to buy hardware again!" then I am really sorry to have somehow misled them.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.