R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 800 Plug-In  (Read 94126 times)

MI

Re: Studer 800 Plug-In
« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2010, 03:39:36 PM »

kats wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 13:50

Speaking of which it was a REAL Studer that has caused all this trouble. You can't make this stuff up.

So we bought a new console for the studio and we're trying to figure out how many guys we're going to need to lift this thing, about 1000lbs. So like a couple of idiots (my idea) I suggest we try and lift the A827 and gauge how many guys we'll need for the console based on that...

Anyhow, a torn rotator cuff and two weeks of too much time on my hands, rolling over on the bad shoulder and waking up at 3am etc etc -

And this is the trouble I start.

Tony,

Seriously factor in a crane rental cost in console price.

Planet in Montreal replaced the 6000 with a 4000 and have used a crane to get in/out.

Mario

kats

« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »

I refuse! Haha

Co-incidentally this board is a 6000. But it is not that big at 7ft and we have an elevator that it will fit in. It's funny because I was just talking to Francois at Studio Economik and he was talking about how Planet swapped consoles because they didn't like the sound of a 6k compared to a 4k. I thought it was odd. All things being equal isn't the only difference the program bus matrix? They are easily modded. Mine is set up so that stereo A bypasses the matrix and goes straight to the stereo bus. Stereo B&C come up on the patch bay and then you bring them in wherever you want.  
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

MI

« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »

Keith (ssltech) would be the one to confirm all that...

Daniel did tell me they had some other hicups with his.

Francois is cool guy, I bought my JH-110A off him many years ago...

Mario

zmix

« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2010, 01:01:36 AM »

zmix wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 12:30

Some interesting points have been made in this thread (buried between trollish fanboy blather and it's subsequent fallout).  

William Wittman made a great point about merit that I would like to discuss further.  I've often commented  that music is a democratic meritocracy (barring the payola, marketing pushes, etc), meaning that a record that cost $600 to produce will retail for the same price as one that cost $2M, and the fans don't care how much it cost or what gear was used as long as they like it.

Here is a question: "If plugins improve to the point where they approach analog gear, will records sound better?"  It's a bit like asking "If restaurant grade cooking equipment is available in every kitchen, will home cooking improve? Or,  given perceived ubiquity of ITB mixing, maybe it's more accurate to ask: "If microwave ovens had presets such as "brick oven",  "hearth", "Mequite BBQ", would home cooking improve?"  I suspect the novelty of "Mesquite BBQ" boiled water would wear off rather quickly.

The point was also about referentialism.  I am very interested in the differences between "intrinsic" and "referential" value when assigned to an object. In this case, does a plugin purporting to be something that it cannot possibly be, yet retaining some artifact of the original, need to be referenced to that thing to have value?  I have listened to the UAD A800, and once I tweaked it a bit I found I could get some subtle peak reduction and add some low order harmonics, and in that way it's different than other processors out there.  Maybe it will prove to be a solution to something.  

Possibly the theory of the "Uncanny Valley" could explain something?

Quote:

The uncanny valley is a hypothesis regarding the field of robotics. The theory holds that when robots and other facsimiles of humans look and act almost like actual humans, it causes a response of revulsion among human observers. The "valley" in question is a dip in a proposed graph of the positivity of human reaction as a function of a robot's lifelikeness.

wwittman

« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »

zmix wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 01:01

Here is a question: "If plugins improve to the point where they approach analog gear, will records sound better?"  It's a bit like asking "If restaurant grade cooking equipment is available in every kitchen, will home cooking improve? Or,  given perceived ubiquity of ITB mixing, maybe it's more accurate to ask: "If microwave ovens had presets such as "brick oven",  "hearth", "Mequite BBQ", would home cooking improve?"  I suspect the novelty of "Mesquite BBQ" boiled water would wear off rather quickly.

excellent point.
And I suppose my feeling is that presets such as "Brick Oven" on the microwave oven serve the needs of the marketing dept first, then consumers who have never cooked in a brick oven, and then only distantly followed by professional chefs who might find some use for the setting whilst still KNOWING it isn't really anything like COOKING in a brick oven .
(the substance almost but not completely unlike tea)

but the marketers deduce that someone (probably the pros and experienced) wants brick ovens, and, before their discussion poisons the well of the bigger pool potential buyers it's better to claim to 'include' that feature.

The point was also about referentialism.  I am very interested in the differences between "intrinsic" and "referential" value when assigned to an object. In this case, does a plugin purporting to be something that it cannot possibly be, yet retaining some artifact of the original, need to be referenced to that thing to have value?  I have listened to the UAD A800, and once I tweaked it a bit I found I could get some subtle peak reduction and add some low order harmonics, and in that way it's different than other processors out there.  Maybe it will prove to be a solution to something.  

exactly.
I guess it seems clear to me (and the marketing folks) that it DOES need to be referenced in order to max sales potential.
"great new compressor plug in"s are rare to see advertised. "Neve" "SSL" "1176" "Fairchild" compressor plug ins are ubiquitous.

Quote:

The uncanny valley is a hypothesis regarding the field of robotics. The theory holds that when robots and other facsimiles of humans look and act almost like actual humans, it causes a response of revulsion among human observers. The "valley" in question is a dip in a proposed graph of the positivity of human reaction as a function of a robot's lifelikeness.

interesting, and could be, I suppose.
But I suspect that there's something much more deeply threatening about humanoid machines than Studeroid software. <g>

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

kats

« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2010, 08:58:12 PM »

zmix wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 00:01

Quote:

Not quite. The above is not an intellectual response. It is instinctive. In the case of the A800 plug, the complaint is on an intellectual level. Now perhaps if we started barfing after listening to it, you might have a case of "Uncanny Valley" Smile
Tony K.

Haolemon

« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »

According to Resolution Magazine, UAD has also made an arrangement with Ampex to model their tape machines and tape formulations...........

kats

« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »

All they have to do now is somehow add a coin slot to the unit and it would be perfect.
Tony K.

Podgorny

« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »

I have this plugin now, and guess what? It's nice. REALLY nice.  I like it quite a bit.

So there.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

arconaut

« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »

But what is its impedance?
You Are Number Six

svs95

« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »

Here is a question: "If plugins improve to the point where they approach analog gear, will records sound better?"  It's a bit like asking "If restaurant grade cooking equipment is available in every kitchen, will home cooking improve?

Possibly, if the person at home is somebody like Rachel Ray, who came out of obscurity with no credentials. But the real question is not so much on the "home" (hobbyist) side of the analogy.

What will happen in studios already populated by engineers with good ears and chops, but without access to certain hardware? Being able to work with a great emulation can be a powerful help to good engineers in many circumstances, and it can contribute to better records from skilled users.

"Uncanny Valley" may be a factor, considering how closely some people identify with their gear. Wink
Stephen Smith
Soundsmiths Mastering, Inc.
www.soundsmiths.net

zmix

« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »

svs95 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 12:16

Here is a question: "If plugins improve to the point where they approach analog gear, will records sound better?"  It's a bit like asking "If restaurant grade cooking equipment is available in every kitchen, will home cooking improve?
Possibly, if the person at home is somebody like Rachel Ray, who came out of obscurity with no credentials. But the real question is not so much on the "home" (hobbyist) side of the analogy.

Rachel Ray isn't microwaving frozen dinners, she's cooking with real ingredients, besides which, according to UA, the vast majority of their customers are not full-time working professionals. So my analogy about the microwave oven may be more appropriate here.

svs95 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 12:16

"Uncanny Valley" may be a factor, considering how closely some people identify with their gear. Wink

Eww that's creepy...  and a bit like making fun of someone's shoes because they prefer to walk rather than ride a motorized chair:

index.php/fa/16155/0/

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »

Boy, Michael Moore has really let himself go.
Philip

Bill Mueller

« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »

This is a silly thread.

Best regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

compasspnt

« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2011, 02:24:11 AM »

I know who could tell us:

One of The Uncanny Valley People.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 19 queries.