R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Plug-Ins - not convinced yet  (Read 32969 times)

Herbeck

Re: Plug-Ins - not convinced yet
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 05:47:20 PM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 15:58

Herbeck wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 16:51

I've come up with a slightly different idea, and it sounds great.
Same thing with the eq that I mentioned, it is not the same old concept it's something new.

What format do you code for. rtas, vst, au?

I've only worked with vst, I'm not a pro programmer but sometimes I'm able to think outside the box.
I would need some help to make the plugins commercial acceptable, but at the moment that's not what I plan to do.

All the best

Herbeck

dcollins

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 06:26:46 PM »

Herbeck wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 13:51

Same thing with the eq that I mentioned, it is not the same old concept it's something new.

Is there more than one way to change digital level?  What is wrong with the way it's presently done?

DC

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »

The waves de-esser seems to be getting a work out a bit more lately, although sparingly ...sibilance kills me.

Hey Tom,

The Waves Ren DeEsser isn't bad at all, but I've found the Sonnox SuprEsser HD to be much more effective, esp in terms of flexible parameter controls.

Other than that I use the Phoenix for occasional analog color (when not printing to tape!), the Flux Epure II EQ, and the PSP Xenon limiter to be uselful.

That's about it for me.

Cheers, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 20:40

The waves de-esser seems to be getting a work out a bit more lately, although sparingly ...sibilance kills me.

Hey Tom,

The Waves Ren DeEsser isn't bad at all, but I've found the Sonnox SuprEsser HD to be much more effective, esp in terms of flexible parameter controls.

Thanks for the tip Jerry.  I will give the Sonnex a try.

I have the ren, but use the old school one that was released before that.

I'm surprised no one has put out a "de-Plosive" plug-in yet for mix engineers.  Seems like it would be easy enough to detect burst around 400Hz and attenuate that.  Maybe that's getting to lazy?

jetbase

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 13:23

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the tip Jerry.  I will give the Sonnex a try.

I have the ren, but use the old school one that was released before that.

I'm surprised no one has put out a "de-Plosive" plug-in yet for mix engineers.  Seems like it would be easy enough to detect burst around 400Hz and attenuate that.  Maybe that's getting to lazy?

Wavelabs de-plopper (in their De-Clicker) sometimes works for that. RX2's de-clicker in multiband mode is supposed to be good for thumps but I haven't tried it on plosives yet. Usually editing works best.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

masterhse

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »

Hey Tom,

Other than that I use the Phoenix for occasional analog color (when not printing to tape!), the Flux Epure II EQ, and the PSP Xenon limiter to be uselful.

That's about it for me.

Cheers, JT

Jerry,

Have you checked out the McDSP ML4000 limiter? Might be another to add to our otherwise oddly similar lists.

Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

Herbeck

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 01:02:29 AM »

dcollins wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 17:26

Herbeck wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 13:51

Is there more than one way to change digital level?  What is wrong with the way it's presently done?

There is nothing "wrong" with standard digital gain, but it is cool to have an option.

Allt he best

Herbeck

Patrik T

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 01:29:11 AM »

Herbeck wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 07:02

There is nothing "wrong" with standard digital gain, but it is cool to have an option.

What's with your mumbling approach to communication? Where are your answers to peoples questions?

Regards
Patrik

lowland

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 02:07:34 AM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 02:23

Not quite what you're talking about, but I find Retouch quite brilliant and very quick for that sort of thing - far too expensive if that's all one was doing with it, but as it does so much else besides (including on a good day polyphonic retuning) it takes some of the sting out of the price tag.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Adam Dempsey

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 02:16:15 AM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 13:23

Cedar De-thump on SADiE (2496 and series 5 systems) works a treat - nothing like it. The only times it failed me were the odd occasion in which an attack first needed dealing with using manual De-click.
Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Add presence, or subtract absence?

Herbeck

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 02:33:43 AM »

Patrik T wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 00:29

Herbeck wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 07:02

What's with your mumbling approach to communication? Where are your answers to peoples questions?

I made an offer to upload some test files, what can be more strait forward?
I'm willing to share how these plugins sounds, not how they work for obvious reasons.

All the best

Herbeck

lowland

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 03:31:10 AM »

Adam Dempsey wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 07:16

Cedar De-thump on SADiE (2496 and series 5 systems) works a treat - nothing like it. The only times it failed me were the odd occasion in which an attack first needed dealing with using manual De-click.

I have De-Thump here, and it works fine. It was originally bought for orchestral LF problems and dealt with those well, but when I eventually got up the courage to employ Retouch for that I found it quicker/more controllable and stayed with it - it's more than twice the price though. All the Cedar-for-SADiE denoisers integrate into the DAW well, another timesaver, but now that various Izotope tools are to be bundled with SADiE 6 I wonder if a custom version of RX might eventually become available: even if it's a cost option, that would be a powerful additional tool in the armoury.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

bblackwood

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:15 AM »

Yah, for things like tick / thump / buzz & noise removal and limiting, digital tools can't be beat.

I think the thread is really about standard analog processing like EQ and compression....
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

masterhse

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 11:15:08 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 09:20

Yah, for things like tick / thump / buzz & noise removal and limiting, digital tools can't be beat.

I think the thread is really about standard analog processing like EQ and compression....

Does anyone feel that linear phase EQs have an advantage in some situations?
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 08:20

Yep, I've got two versions Sonic NoNoise, (PT HD & Sonic sB) both are amazing.

Nick is quite adept with iZotope Rx 2.

And we just bought Wavelab 7, so we'll be looking into those Oxford NR tools as well.

Like DC said the best of the plug-ins are the EQs.

I would add to that the Crane Song Phoenix, used sparingly.

I haven't really found any compression plugs that float my boat, although the Fairchild (and their other classic emulations) with the UAD card got my attention on a recent project, and the Flux Alchemist is the first multiband gizmo to raise my eyebrows, but haven't bought either.

But for a straight mastering job there's nothing like a simple analog chain with a dig limiter on the end to do the job.

I could babble on...

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 19 queries.