R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: are parametric EQ's more "musical"?  (Read 7687 times)

bob ebeling

Re: are parametric EQ's more "musical"?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »

Maybe it is coupling with the god awful phase-shift of the eq circuits (Tascam and yeah, I had a Neotek 2 also), but it sounds a good bit trippyer than a wha wha.  

I get the difference though.  For real phasing the double has to get in front of the origional, flanging is just behind and back.

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

MagnetoSound

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 09:28:26 AM »

Like I said (about three posts up) phase shift is subtractive. You do all know what 'notch' means, right?

bob ebeling wrote on Tue, 30 November 2010 13:44

For real phasing the double has to get in front of the origional

Huh??

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

ssltech

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »

MagnetoSound wrote

Like I said (about three posts up) phase shift is subtractive. You do all know what 'notch' means, right?

Oh yessindeedie... I was confirming/summing up.

MagnetoSound wrote

bob ebeling wrote

For real phasing the double has to get in front of the origional

Huh??

That's 'Tape phasing' also known as 'flanging'.

Time for some definitions here, methinks...

"FLANGING" requires TWO signals, one of which is delayed. The re-combination produces COMB-filtering, which sweeps the mathematically-related notch frequencies up and down together, as the delay time is modulated.

"TAPE PHASING", -also known as "THROUGH-ZERO FLANGING" requires two signals, BOTH of which are delayed. This allows the two delayed signals to "swap" in terms of which 'arrives' first. (I believe that this is what Bob is referring to) This (after re-combining) sweeps the mathematically-related notch frequencies up and down together, as the delay time is modulated, passing through ZERO cancellation (when ALL combs meet at 'infinite' frequency, thus momentarily all 'shooting' outside the audio band, giving a most satisfying result)

"PHASING" as in a guitar "phaser" pedal requires two signals, one of which is PHASE-SHIFTED. -this causes a notch to sweep up and down, but does NOT produce comb-filtering, which is characteristic of flanging or "tape-phasing".

I'm sure that we all know this, but the casual use of the terminology often gets people talking at cross-purposes. This is merely an attempt on my part to clarify.

Through-zero flanging is also sometimes abbreviated to "TZF" by effects builders, incidentally.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

MagnetoSound

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 12:36:57 PM »

Thanks Keith, I feel better now.  Smile

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.