R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Marketable skills" taught at recording schools???  (Read 8503 times)

Barry Hufker

Re: "Marketable skills" taught at recording schools???
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »

Maturity, which absolutely can't be taught, has a lot to do with it.  I read a couple of years ago that adolescence lasts (worldwide) to the age of about 34.  Obviously some people grow out of it sooner and some later (maybe that's where mid-life crisis comes from).  In any event, I can tell in my classes to a fairly accurate degree who's interested and who's not -- who will stay with audio and who won't.  I can't say with any accuracy who will be a success as that depends upon too many factors.

In general, in any subject, 10% of the class really "gets" the subject and will pursue it successfully; the next 10% understand the material and will probably have some association with it afterward; the rest are up for grabs.  Some of that remainder may "get it" later but most will drift away.  Given that most will find something else to do eventually, it is *imperative* that students attend a liberal arts college and not a tech school.  With a good, solid, general education these students can apply their skills to something else successfully.

Barry

Jay Kadis

Re: "Marketable skills" taught at recording schools???
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 10:56:31 AM »

These days, attending a trade school devoted solely to recording is as useful as taking carburetor repair classes.  A program that teaches the basics of acoustics, electronics, computer science, signal processing and music theory can prepare a student for whatever comes along in the future.  But that requires dedication on the part of the student and a lot of it isn't easy.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 18 queries.