R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phono input ?  (Read 11139 times)

C.Cash

Phono input ?
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:58:27 AM »

I recently acquired a nice Sony turntable.

I want to start listening to some of my old favorites on venial, haven't done this in years.

The preamp on my home stereo is a Krell KAV-250p, no phono input.

Is there anything I can do or do I have to get another pre?

Thanks.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

KB_S1

Re: Phono input ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:04:44 PM »

You can get a separate phono-stage amp that will output to your Krell happily.

As ever budget and needs are vastly variable
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

C.Cash

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »

Thanks Keith.

Edvaard

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 11:08:10 PM »

The old standby ...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/View-All-Phono-Prea mps?range=49%2C81%2C81

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:29:41 PM »

Yes the OP needs a preamp with specialized playback EQ.

I don't know what is more remarkable, $600 phono preamps or $445 interconnect cables? But if you are hooking this up to a mighty Krell (Anne Francis was hot in Forbidden planet), why cut corners?   Laughing

I used to design phono preamps, back when that took a little extra effort. These days modern off the shelf opamps with a proper RIAA eq network can do a more than respectable job, at least for moving magnet cartridges, and all for only a few $.

google RIAA preamps and you will get a lot of choices.

I would be tempted to suggest buying one of the cheaper offerings, and if so motivated perhaps swap out the opamps and EQ caps for better performance... You should have some money left over vs. buying top shelf with those silly cables.

You need to determine the type of cartridge on your turntable. Most are moving magnet, but some were moving coil which had lower output voltage so required either a step up transformer or lower noise/higher gain front end.  

happy listening...

JR

David Kulka

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:48:43 AM »

Just don't get a UREI 1122 preamp. I have a vinyl collection from way back and a nice turntable. Much of my life revolves around UREI gear so when a 1122 preamp came up I thought cool, I'll refurb it and set it up in the living room.

Long story short, it sounded terrible, and I could not figure why. The bass seemed very thin, the audio in general felt thin and band limited. After I first noticed this I took it back to my shop and did every test I could think of, which it passed with flying colors. UREI built lots of fabulous gear, and I have no idea why that preamp and I didn't get along.

So I sold it and bought a nice older NAD preamp which I recapped, am very satisfied with, and listen to all the time.

Prono preamps are odd little animals. I'd say, if possible, listen before you buy.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

Eric H.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »

I too got the little NAD preamp. With my not so good sony turntable, it is satisfying.
the only problem to me is the psu and its thin thin cable that will fail.
eric harizanos

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:39:26 PM »

David Kulka wrote on Tue, 23 November 2010 23:48

Just don't get a UREI 1122 preamp. I have a vinyl collection from way back and a nice turntable. Much of my life revolves around UREI gear so when a 1122 preamp came up I thought cool, I'll refurb it and set it up in the living room.

Long story short, it sounded terrible, and I could not figure why. The bass seemed very thin, the audio in general felt thin and band limited. After I first noticed this I took it back to my shop and did every test I could think of, which it passed with flying colors. UREI built lots of fabulous gear, and I have no idea why that preamp and I didn't get along.

So I sold it and bought a nice older NAD preamp which I recapped, am very satisfied with, and listen to all the time.

Prono preamps are odd little animals. I'd say, if possible, listen before you buy.

I am not as enamored of Urie but that's a different story for a different time, if ever.

One might suggest you didn't test "everything".

Looking at a schematic, http://www.pa-anlagen.ch/Manuals/Urei_div/UREI-1122.pdf
that is definitely old school, basic  2 transistor NI gain stage  with RIAA eq in feedback. The output stage is a little less conventional with 301 opamps using output driver transistors connected common emitter driven from the PS leads.

The scariest thing IMO is the trimpots for HF and LF EQ...  Once upon a time there were several different variants on vinyl record/playback EQ , but by the '70s when this was designed record pressing was pretty well settled. Perhaps they were appealing to a more obscure collectors application.  They used the -3dB @ 20Hz NAB standard that was never endorsed by RIAA, but a dB or two down at 20 Hz is not a huge difference on consumer playback systems.

I suspect your unit was mis-adjusted or had faulty EQ trimpots, adding some undesirable colorations from rogue equalization. From inspection I wouldn't have high expectations for that design, but the simple discrete transistor preamp design has delivered adequate service in good executions like the Bozak 102DL, so your unit probably just needed some bench love. .

JR

David Kulka

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »

John, trust me, I checked the EQ circuits carefully, adjusted the trimmers, verified that the RIAA curve was doing it's thing, and even did frequency response checks with an NAB test record. I was a disc mastering engineer / technician for many years, and know about this stuff. Anyway, everything measured flat, but it still sounded sucky when listening to music.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 01:09:20 PM »

David Kulka wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 19:55

John, trust me, I checked the EQ circuits carefully, adjusted the trimmers, verified that the RIAA curve was doing it's thing, and even did frequency response checks with an NAB test record. I was a disc mastering engineer / technician for many years, and know about this stuff. Anyway, everything measured flat, but it still sounded sucky when listening to music.

Sorry I mean no disrespect. I recognize your name.

I designed a number of phono preamps, and always found good correlation between what I could measure on the bench and hear in playback (within reason).  I actually used a precision inverse RIAA network to confirm playback EQ accuracy on the test bench, since records wear, and cartridges interact with output loading, orders of magnitude more than playback EQ precision. To design for the center, I tried to hold variables to a minimum.  

However for dialing in a system it is most useful to include the cartridge. If your preamp measured flat on the bench with a test record and still sounded thin, I can only ponder what could cause that difference?

I have heard of some obscure issues with a turntable tone arm/cartridge mis-wired.  If L and R were connected with reversed polarity, that could explain your symptoms. Low bass suck out, weak center image, but only when listening to recordings. It could measure good on the bench measuring the two channels independently, but suck in the room where the stereo sound field interferes.

However you report all well with a different preamp (I ASSume same turntable). I guess it's possible for the preamp to have a polarity issue between channels. That seems unlikely with typical unbalanced wiring, but I don't know whet the inside of the Urie looked like. I've heard this most often associated with tone arm, turntable wiring. Since the Urie has a transformer output the polarity flip in one channel could occur there (?).

This obviously won't be settled hypothetically, so I apologize for dragging this out, My judgement about phono preamps from  my understanding of the task involved suggests that  they shouldn't be all that variable between different units over most of the audible range, with expected variance at the very bottom of frequency range (below 20 Hz where EQ is not defined)  and very top of range (due to topology choices).

The differences between better and not will generally be far more subtle than your experience.  

Happy Thanksgiving...

JR

johnR

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »

John, I have a hunch that as a former mastering engineer David's hearing is trained highly enough to hear things that elude some of the common measuring techniques. Not saying they can't be measured, just that it can be difficult. A reversed channel is not subtle.

C.Cash

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »

Thanks guys but I am still a little lost.
Big difference between the AT (Audio Technika) for about $50.00 and others for $500.00 and up.
What am I missing?

I just want to listen to some old records.

Confused

KB_S1

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 06:08:13 AM »

Clifford,

I would suggest you buy the $50 one.
Listen to your records.

If you enjoy them you have a winner.
If you don't enjoy them, you can explore other options.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

compasspnt

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »

Get the AT.

JGreenslade

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 22:39

but the simple discrete transistor preamp design has delivered adequate service in good executions like the Bozak 102DL, so your unit probably just needed some bench love. .

JR

It's funny you should mention the Bozak, John. Rebuilding them is a hobby of mine (I've probably rebuilt 30+ of them now and have FFTs for each one, so the FFTs are an accurate representation). See attached FFTs. Note the 2nd harmonic around -64dB... The bizarre thing being, that people often prefer them to modern preamps, which have all harmonics well below -100dB (see comparison)...

I've also attached an FFT comparing the RIAA accuracy of the Bozak against a modern preamp. To the untrained eye, it looks pretty wild... However, are you going to hear 0.6dB boost at 20k? There's a boost around 50Hz as well, which *could* explain why DJs like the Bozak (i.e. it may give kick drums a slight boost).

The other FFT shows the noise floor difference between a re-capped standard Bozak and one fitted with an external linear PSU. The Bozak's PSRR isn't great - nor is its regulation: you can see a couple of mV of ripple on a Bozak's DC rail. EMI from the EI transformer doesn't help, either.

I'm not knocking the Bozak btw - things we take for granted today such as toroidal t/formers and RIAA filter design software weren't around then (although I have a Sony preamp from the same era - TA-E88B - which has RIAA accuracy better than any modern unit I've seen; mind you, it was fiercely expensive. Again, the Sony's twin EI transformers don't aid noise levels...with an external PSU it would really kick ass. Interestingly enough, when you measure the Sony, it spits Sony's quoted 0.002% THD figure straight back out - they didn't lie!).

Justin

BTW - all measurements taken via Lipshitz reverse RIAA filter - it's very accurate.index.php/fa/15916/0/
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

JGreenslade

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 08:57:45 AM »

THD - Note Modern preamp in green and Bozak in white.index.php/fa/15917/0/

JGreenslade

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »

IMDindex.php/fa/15918/0/

JGreenslade

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 09:01:46 AM »

Bozak original PSU vs External Linear PSU:index.php/fa/15919/0/

JGreenslade

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »

Going back to the original question (I hope you can excuse my little detour...), one area where you get what you pay for will be hum pick up. The RIAA filter in a phono preamp, at MM levels, has around 50dB of boost at 50Hz. This means that, without decent shielding (and clean DC supply + PSRR) you'll pick up a fair amount of mains-related hum - hence cheap phono preamps being noisy. Shielding costs to implement. Decent rejection takes design chops.

Sure, vinyl's LF noise floor is nothing to shout about, but wouldn't you rather hear the imperfections in the vinyl format, as opposed to the National Grid's 50Hz (60Hz in the US)? It's not in key with any musical style I'm aware of...

I've conducted numerous blind listening tests of phono preamps and can say there are marked differences between them. However, like anything, it depends on what you're doing, and how far you want to go.

Hagerman make a battery-powered preamp called a 'Bugle' - it might be just what you're looking for. It's supposed to give expensive preamps a run for their money.

Justin

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 11:38:44 AM »

JGreenslade wrote on Fri, 26 November 2010 07:44

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 22:39

but the simple discrete transistor preamp design has delivered adequate service in good executions like the Bozak 102DL, so your unit probably just needed some bench love. .

JR

It's funny you should mention the Bozak, John. Rebuilding them is a hobby of mine (I've probably rebuilt 30+ of them now and have FFTs for each one, so the FFTs are an accurate representation). See attached FFTs. Note the 2nd harmonic around -64dB... The bizarre thing being, that people often prefer them to modern preamps, which have all harmonics well below -100dB (see comparison)...

I've also attached an FFT comparing the RIAA accuracy of the Bozak against a modern preamp. To the untrained eye, it looks pretty wild... However, are you going to hear 0.6dB boost at 20k? There's a boost around 50Hz as well, which *could* explain why DJs like the Bozak (i.e. it may give kick drums a slight boost).

The other FFT shows the noise floor difference between a re-capped standard Bozak and one fitted with an external linear PSU. The Bozak's PSRR isn't great - nor is its regulation: you can see a couple of mV of ripple on a Bozak's DC rail. EMI from the EI transformer doesn't help, either.

I'm not knocking the Bozak btw - things we take for granted today such as toroidal t/formers and RIAA filter design software weren't around then (although I have a Sony preamp from the same era - TA-E88B - which has RIAA accuracy better than any modern unit I've seen; mind you, it was fiercely expensive. Again, the Sony's twin EI transformers don't aid noise levels...with an external PSU it would really kick ass. Interestingly enough, when you measure the Sony, it spits Sony's quoted 0.002% THD figure straight back out - they didn't lie!).

Justin

BTW - all measurements taken via Lipshitz reverse RIAA filter - it's very accurate.

I guess I was trying to be gracious about the Urie design, which from a superficial inspection looks similar to the Bozak (front end). I have never listened to a Bozak myself, but recall that it was highly regarded in DJ circles (perhaps for other reasons than absolute fidelity).

I am also trying to move beyond my phono preamp purist days where as a designer I carried the designs way past the limits of the medium.  That said I can imagine a number of audible differences between preamps.

In order...

#1 input capacitance- Typical loading is 100-150pF but this must be added to phono cables and tone arm capacitance to figure total loading on the cartridge. This can result in multiple dB variation at top of audio band.

#2 LF skirt tuning- As already mentioned there was an unresolved difference between RIAA and NAB about how to handle 20Hz and below. IIRC NAB added a real pole at 7950 uSec, RIAA just left it up to the designer how to handle below 20 Hz. (originally they stopped at 30Hz but later extended it to 20 Hz).  Different designers dealt with this different ways, but the result was much variation between designs at 20 Hz and the octaves below, where unfortunately there was information from out-of-round records and other mechanical input.  

#3 EQ Topology-  RIAA defines the top octave EQ as a real pole at 75 uSec. The popular non-inverting topology will have a zero in the response approximately a decade above 20KHz, This causes a modest error at 20kHz and more significant error above, where again RIAA is unconcerned.

#4 Distortion- The common practice of characterizing phono preamp linearity using simple THD, IMO understates the nonlinearity. Since the RIAA is delivering an almost 40 dB gain change between 20 Hz and 20kHz, IMD at HF that generates LF IM products can be far greater than THD measurements would suggest.  I rolled my own two-tone IMD test using 19 and 20kHz 1:1, and found it most revealing of preamp purity. Since the 1 kHz IM product from 19 and 20 kHx was getting 20 dB MORE gain from RIAA EQ instead of simple THD that is getting rolled off by RIAA and falling GBW.

Note: with the exception of #4 the above items are expected to result in simple frequency response variations at both extremes of the bandpass expected to be audible even without blind listening tests.

I spent a couple decades exploring this as a designer. That said I stand by my original advice. IMO the OP will be well served to buy some inexpensive modern (opamp based) preamp, and replace the cheap opamps with some newer, better, off the shelf opamps. Perhaps upgrade the RIAA caps with film if they aren't already.

I will add one more suggestion. As I already mentioned MM carts are sensitive to load capacitance. Back in the day I used to sell a small add-on PCB with gold plated dip switches and 4 small caps that could be switched to dial in a range of load capacitance with 25 pF resolution. These days I would just suggest experimenting with some low and normal capacitance phono cables to tweak the high frequency loading.  Note: you can add more capacitance by making the cables longer, shorter for less.

Sorry if all this esoterica is confusing to the OP but this is a design forum not audiophile advice.

JR

PS: I don't know if he was "the" design engineer, but I met one Bozak design engineer while working with Bozak on a consumer time delay product I did for them back in the '70s. He was a Swiss engineer, and seemed pretty knowledgeable from my brief conversation.  As I recall he was dealing with a production problem on the 102DL that day related to device beta variance. I don't recall which particular circuit in the unit he was working on as it was unrelated to my discussion with him.    

JGreenslade

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »

The beta variance issue would due to the output stage, which is based around a Szliklai / Totem-pole topology. They used 3 different pairs of transistors for the VAS over the years - finally settling on the BC550B / 560B. As you probably remember, John, the company changed hands several times and went through a turbulent time in the latter period. As the CMA 10-2-DL-series became difficult to source during this time, UREi (having recently been amalgamated into Harman) were engaged to produce a mixer / preamp that would fill the niche vacated by the Bozak. Their product became the 1620 - this had a very similar layout to the Bozak, but had extra line i/p options and was based around TL084 / 074 instead of the Bozak's discrete circuits.

I've attached an FFT comparing the RIAA response of the Bozak vs UREi 1620.

Note that the TL074 / 084 arrangement was never as quiet as the Bozak's discrete arrangement - even if you fitted an external PSU. Funnily enough, when Harman decided to release a Chinese-made reissue in 2005, it was even noisier than the original from 25yrs earlier! (the EI transformer saw to this). The UREi's overall THD is lower, though - even if you factor in the UREi's O/P transformer (it's a lot lower from the unbal o/p which bypasses t.former).

Justin

index.php/fa/15931/0/

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »

JGreenslade wrote on Mon, 29 November 2010 09:20

As you probably remember, John, the company changed hands several times and went through a turbulent time in the latter period.

Justin

I was pleased to develop a good personal relationship with Rudy, and it was painful to watch what happened to his company after he sold it (for health reasons). I ended up having to hire a lawyer to get paid money owed me for product royalties incurred after the sale  by the new owner. Rudy was a gentleman and is missed. The new owner was not, and is not.

JR

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 16 queries.