R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What should I expect from a repair tech?  (Read 7663 times)

breathe

What should I expect from a repair tech?
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »

My repair tech here in Austin (whom I have mentioned in an earlier thread) is probably the most dysfunctional person I have ever known in my entire life.  I don't know how someone who started off his life the way he claims and has good technical knowledge of an important field of audio electronics could have become basically homeless.  I will spare you all the details of the extent I have helped him out but having to work with a guy who is physically like a walking corpse and all but incapable of taking care of himself is really trying on my soul.  I'm working with him because he seems to understand my MCI mixer and apparently no other repair tech in Austin does, but I would like to know what is reasonable to expect from this relationship, the closest relationship I have ever had with a repair tech?  I guess the only advantage of my relationship with him is that shortly after first working with him it became obvious to both of us that paying him an hourly rate was unrealistic so now I just buy him food and pay for his cell phone minutes and occasionally throw him some cash.  It's a really bizarre relationship.

Nicholas

Larry Sheehan

Re: What should I expect from a repair tech?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »

Is this the tech who decided that all the ICs in your MCI needed replacing?
Larry Sheehan - Sangabrielsound.com

craig boychuk

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »

Sounds overly complicated.

Is it worth it to you?

-craig-
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

breathe

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:57:04 PM »

Does anyone know of a good repair tech in the Austin area who actually has his own car and Internet access?  

Nicholas

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 07:13:32 AM »

Not knowing the full situation, it would seem that if there was more work - and the man was charging a proper hourly rate for his services that he would have a car, and internet access, and money to pay his mobile phone bill, etc.

The "project studio" has put more than one great tech out of business - the man either needs to charge for his services or find a new line of work -- but like I said, I don't know the full story - so my comments are based on the surface information provided.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Silvertone

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 07:34:50 AM »

Good techs get good money for a reason.  They are worth every penny.   Can't get a budget tech, beat him up on the price and time and expect a good job... it's just never gonna happen. It will cost you more in the long run.
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

ryan streber

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 07:42:04 AM »

See Nicholas - as a devout postmodernist, you should appreciate how the purchase of the MCI has advanced the cause of musical (or music-related) storytelling in ways that you would never have planned!  It's very rhizomatic, no?

Tim Halligan

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 07:55:57 AM »

breathe wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 01:33

My repair tech here in Austin (whom I have mentioned in an earlier thread) is probably the most dysfunctional person I have ever known in my entire life.  I don't know how someone who started off his life the way he claims and has good technical knowledge of an important field of audio electronics could have become basically homeless.  I will spare you all the details of the extent I have helped him out but having to work with a guy who is physically like a walking corpse and all but incapable of taking care of himself...

That doesn't sound like a tech...

That sounds like a junkie.

Either get him help, or lose him fast.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Wireline

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »

If you are willing to trust a basically homeless guy in a tech happy town like Austin to keep the tools of your trade up and running, then I'd be looking in the mirror before looking at the internet for an answer.  Great techs are all over Texas, but they are paid their worth.  

I don't trust a carpenter who has no shop or tools to fix my house, either, regardless of how good his work may eventually be.  Bite the bullet, spend the money on a professional, and get your gear taken care of properly, and in the meantime, quiz him on technical specs of said gear.  You can learn more an hour of interaction with a competent and experienced tech than you can from a hundred internet posts.
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com

breathe

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 10:04:49 AM »

How do I need to rephrase this question?  How do I find a good tech who is familiar with the kind of equipment I need help with?  The MCI 416A shouldn't be too complicated to anyone with basic EE skills.

Nicholas

Wireline

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 10:11:26 AM »

Nic, do you have the schematics book for it?  If so, then any competent tech should be able to help you out.  Also, check the analog console forums for a lead to a good MCI tech in Austin, or someone who might know one.  You could go as far as to check with Randy Blevins in Nashville - he might have a name and number of a guy in your area he would recommend...if anyone knows MCI, its Randy, so I hear.

Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com

breathe

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 10:24:26 AM »

On a side note, though Noel Webster of Muscle Shoals lied through his teeth to me about the working condition of the board when he sold it to me, and even with all the money I'm putting into it, I don't know if I'll ever get the board to full functionality, I have to say that working on the restoration of the board with my tech has been a remarkably educational experience!  The different op-amp and cap choices and ("Stock, Nashville, or LA style") configurations has seen the channels of the board produce remarkably different sounds, all of which I think have musical applications.  With the BB OPA-134 chips the board sounded like a more exciting version of a Neotek Elite, with the 5534's the board sounds very "warm" and "musical" for rock music but I'd like to get a little more clarity.  Next week we're trying out the BB OPA-604 chips, and then hopefully the week after that the Sage Red and Blue discrete ICs will arrive, which are very expensive but supposedly sound amazing.  I can't afford to do the board entirely with Sage so I was thinking put the Sage chips on the mic and line inputs, then find an op-amp choice that will complete the channel modules without imposing too much of their own sonic character.

Nicholas

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »

this thread should be a ad for waves!!Wink      Just curious, how much do jh416 cost used these days?

I hope it all works out for ya!!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

johnR

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 02:55:07 PM »

What was wrong with the original op amps?

Matt Allen

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »

Nicholas,

As I do know who you are talking about, it does sound like an interesting situation.
He's come across a great deal of hard luck probably due to his own problems and his lifestyle.
He has always been very nice and helpful with me on the phone.
I've paid him for information before, because his knowledge is worth something.
I think it is worth helping him out and see if he can get his life back on track.

My question on the MCI and its issues.
Did it get hooked up correctly upon initial install and was the board tested prior to doing all these upgrades?
Did the voltages get tested before all the modules were plugged in?
Did the power supplies get tested before they were hooked to the console?

The MCI is a fun and decently easy console to work on.
Matt "Buster" Allen
www.allen-sound.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.