R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time Spent Per Track  (Read 8154 times)

turtletone

Re: Time Spent Per Track
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 02:40:25 PM »

Are we including naps in these times? if so, then about 1-2 hours per track.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

Greg Youngman

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Fri, 19 November 2010 08:11

Jay Summers wrote on Fri, 19 November 2010 09:59

How much time do you typically spend per song?

On average, 30 minutes per track, more/less if needed.

JT

Same here.  If it takes longer than that... it usually needs to be mixed again.  The first 2 or 3 tracks seem to take longer, because I'm finding the overall direction of the total.  The last 2 or 3 go by quicker, because the direction is flowing.
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

domc

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 05:40

Are we including naps in these times? if so, then about 1-2 hours per track.

Where is the like button?
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

Ruairi O'Flaherty

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 06:30:11 PM »

I might be alone but I feel that if a track takes too long to master I lose the ability to bring my most important asset - objectivity.  If I have to spend as long turning knobs as the mix guy did I can safely say we're in deep water...and sinking.

I aspire to having a room, gear and workflow where I can instantly hear where a song needs to go, intuitively take it there with minimum "thinking" and spend my energy concentrating on preserving or enhancing the feel of the music.

Sometimes you get a track with a weird problem, say a very particular type of ess problem that requires MS or whatever.  In these instances I try to do the necessary broad strokes before I get lost in the jungle of minutiae.

I do a lot of unattended work and I find that if I'm struggling with a track for whatever reason that I'd rather spend 30 mins in two separate goes that slave over a track for too long.

Cheers,
Ruairi

dcollins

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »

lowland wrote on Fri, 19 November 2010 10:31

Had to do a little search to remind myself of some of the shenanigans -

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/5726/0/0/1 436/

- brought it all flooding (ha!) back. Brad, your posts in that thread prove conclusively that Americans do in fact have a grasp of irony.

T. Ray has the freehold on irony for that one.

DC

turtletone

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 08:19:52 PM »

that is a truly classic thread.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

Bonati

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »

About 20 min per song here, with the first song taking the longest. If mixes are in really good shape I'll move faster.
Josh Bonati
Brooklyn, NY
www.bonatimastering.com

TotalSonic

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »

Bonati wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 17:55

About 20 min per song here, with the first song taking the longest. If mixes are in really good shape I'll move faster.

Funnily enough if the mixes are sounding truly great a lot of times I'll move slower as often even subtle moves to bring something in a desired direction can potentially degrade something that you like in the original source - so I go a bit more cautiously when the original is truly fantastic than when it is a mix that needs a little heavy lifting to get it to where the client wants it.

Where I find it goes a lot lot quicker is when the mixes are consistent in arrangement, production and balances - regardless of the sonic quality of these mixes.  i.e. Give me a whole bunch of bad sounding mixes that are very similar sounding tracks to each other and I'll end up working quicker than to a batch of great sounding mixes that are all markedly different from each other.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bonati

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Sat, 20 November 2010 18:24

Where I find it goes a lot lot quicker is when the mixes are consistent in arrangement, production and balances - regardless of the sonic quality of these mixes.  i.e. Give me a whole bunch of bad sounding mixes that are very similar sounding tracks to each other and I'll end up working quicker than to a batch of great sounding mixes that are all markedly different from each other.

This is almost exactly what I meant to say but lazily didn't flesh out the distinctions in my reply. I quite like it when one processing decision (with possibly a minor adjustment here or there) can be "global" for the entire project. The session usually wraps under budget and the clients are stoked. And they usually become repeat clients. (And I might get home before 2am.)

Quote:

Funnily enough if the mixes are sounding truly great a lot of times I'll move slower as often even subtle moves to bring something in a desired direction can potentially degrade something that you like in the original source...

Fair enough. The only instance of this "go slow with a great mix" situation I can't accept is when the approach has a hint of "There must be something I can tweak!" This meddling impulse - done mostly out of fear and insecurity - contains an assumption that great work must involve some tinkering around. It seems to plague audio like nothing else.
Josh Bonati
Brooklyn, NY
www.bonatimastering.com

Patrik T

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 01:47:59 AM »

Maximum 10 minutes for "better" and another 20 for varieties of "louder".

Best Regards
Patrik

Peter Simonsen

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 08:52:56 AM »

lowland wrote on Fri, 19 November 2010 17:40

Hi Jay,

I do remember a chap called Bill Roberts claiming time taken of that order some years ago, but I don't believe he was in what I would think of as the mainstream of mastering work.

if the "chap" youre talking about is the Bill Roberts from fl?

I´d say youre quite right he is by any chance NOT in the mainstream of mastering work..AND THANK god for that!..

He is unbeliveable good at his work...Some of the frigging best mastering I have heard in many-many years. Beats 99% of the so called "mastering" done worlwide today. People like Bill Roberts, George Massenburg, Chuck Ainlay etc who really cares and knows about high quality audio are very seldom to find today.

Kind regards

/Peter
http://www.psl-design.dk

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.>>Søren kirkegaard>
>>Its not a dream Peter is real<<

Silvertone

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 06:38:05 AM »

On average 15 to 30 minutes... or as long as it takes, depending.

Here's the rub, I  leave everything for the next day and come back with fresh ears to listen to what I've done... 9 times out of 10 I nailed everything on the first day... however, I do like having the chance to "out-do" myself the next day. The client likes it as well.  btw, 98% of my session are unattended.
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 19 queries.