R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The ideal Master DAC.  (Read 12721 times)

breathe

The ideal Master DAC.
« on: November 18, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »

So, my Benchmark DAC1 is WAY more transparent than the DAC in my Crane Song HEDD.  Indisputable.  The HEDD is definitely a "color box", and I love the front end, but I think the job of a Master DAC is to be a transparent/accurate to the source as possible.  Do you agree?  If this is the case for you, what would you recommend as an improvement on the DAC1 as a Master DAC?

Nicholas

danickstr

Re: The ideal Master DAC.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »

A Lynx Aurora 8 is known specifically for its transparency, and the price is not too terrible.  Try that.  you don't need an accompanying card for the comp if you go in AES
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

breathe

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »

I used to own the Lynx Aurora 16.  The clock on that thing is excellent, but I'd hardly call its "tone" accurate to the source.

Nicholas

danickstr wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 16:49

A Lynx Aurora 8 is known specifically for its transparency, and the price is not too terrible.  Try that.  you don't need an accompanying card for the comp if you go in AES

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 01:17:30 AM »

The best bang for the buck (besides a Tijuana call girl) is a Mytek off ebay.  Super transparent and uncolored!!!!!!!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

breathe

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:59:20 AM »

Fact: The DAC in my Tascam CD-RW2000 CD recorder is more transparent than the DAC in the Crane Song HEDD192.  I really don't know what Dave Hill was thinking with that aspect of the HEDD (I think the front end of the HEDD is unbelievably beautiful sounding).  I don't even see how I could use the HEDD DAC other than as an "effect" sending Pro Tools tracks into it to go into my MCI mixer, or maybe going into a digital delay to soften the sounds from it.

Nicholas

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:07:41 AM »

How the hell can you be in love with it yesterday and now you hate it??   Are you two fighting again???  Did u leave the toilet seat up or something?? Wink

breathe wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 22:59

Fact: The DAC in my Tascam CD-RW2000 CD recorder is more transparent than the DAC in the Crane Song HEDD192.  I really don't know what Dave Hill was thinking with that aspect of the HEDD (I think the front end of the HEDD is unbelievably beautiful sounding).  I don't even see how I could use the HEDD DAC other than as an "effect" sending Pro Tools tracks into it to go into my MCI mixer, or maybe going into a digital delay to soften the sounds from it.

Nicholas

p.s. Mytek converters can toss my salad btw.  A mastering engineer friend of mine was using Myteks for i/o before I met him, then off of my advice he got the Lavry Blue A/D/A converters, and was THRILLED at the difference.  I'd like to hear one good sounding record that used Myteks in the recording, mixing, or mastering process.

"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

breathe

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 02:08:54 AM »

I mean, don't get me wrong, Myteks are better than RME converters.

Nicholas

breathe

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 02:18:00 AM »

I was gushing about the HEDD's ADC + processing features, which are beautifully realized.  The DAC in the HEDD seems to be designed with the same philosophy as the ADC, which unlike what is desirable to many in an ADC is not appropriate for an accurate reproduction of audio fed into a master DAC.  I am guessing for a two channel master A/D/A converter most users would like to see a hifi DAC.  My Apogee DA16-X DACs are not what I would call "accurate" either, but I'm not using those as 2-mix reference converters.  If anything, for DACs used for multichannel audio for the purpose of feeding an analog mixer or summing box, creating a euphonically "colored" sound could be highly desirable, at least with certain styles of music (esp. rock music).

Nicholas

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 02:22:55 AM »

Apogees are colored.  So you think Mytek is not High end enough for ya??    So you can afford prism or weiss, or are you just guessing??  What are you talking about anyways?

breathe

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 02:24:11 AM »

See above.

Bubba Kron wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 23:22

Apogees are colored.  So you think Mytek is not High end enough for ya??    So you can afford prism or weiss, or are you just guessing??  What are you talking about anyways?

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 02:26:18 AM »

Mytek is by far the best converters without having to sell your house to buy them, more transparent and higher quality then lynx and apogee could dream of.  I only use apogees because thats all I can afford for a 16 track da.   Take your pick- weiss -prism-radar- thats it!!!

http://www.vintageking.com/Computer-Audio/Digital-to-Analog- Converters?range=&sort1desc=T&sort1=Item_ONLINECUSTO MERPRICE

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 02:32:54 AM »

breathe wrote on Thu, 18 November 2010 22:59

p.s. Mytek converters can toss my salad btw.  A mastering engineer friend of mine was using Myteks for i/o before I met him, then off of my advice he got the Lavry Blue A/D/A converters, and was THRILLED at the difference.  I'd like to hear one good sounding record that used Myteks in the recording, mixing, or mastering process.

So if the top billboard charted albums were ran through a Mytek, they would not be there??   I guess I'll never make it unless I buy a prism and a u47.  Once you get above a certain level its up to YOU, not the converters. Maybe the mastering department here can hire you for consulting. To each his own I guess!!!  

Cheers

P.S. The answer is above $2000, they are all good and are all professional tools. They vary slightly in character, but slightly.     I would not worry so much about it , if a person cant make good records with all the those fantastic converters you already own, then its not the converters.

breathe

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 06:42:08 AM »

I apologize to Mytek for shit talking their products earlier.  I don't like the sound of any Mytek I've heard, but my opinion on them is irrelevant.

Nicholas

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »

I know I can't be of any assistance -- I love the DAC on the HEDD-192 -- more so than most of the others I've experienced over the years.  Clearest and most honest high and low frequency clarity and response than anything else I've heard in the price range / weight class.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

ryan streber

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 09:38:08 AM »

I have to ask, Nicholas - how are you making these judgments?  Are you monitoring on phones, monitors?  Maybe more importantly, what's your room like?  Unless you have some extremely accurate monitoring in place, I'm just a little suspicious of these claims.  I've never used the HEDD, and I could care less whether you like it or not.  I guess I'm just wondering "out loud" (so to speak) how you come to the conclusion that one system's clocking sucks or another's DAC is useless or another's ADC is brilliant,  but only clocked to x.  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.