R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking For A Good DIY Subwoofer Design  (Read 6389 times)

Barry Hufker

Looking For A Good DIY Subwoofer Design
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:24:35 AM »

My students and I just built these wonderful speakers - http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/DD8-MkII.html  The class and I now want to build a high-quality subwoofer to go with them.  My guess is that we would power them with a Hypex plate amplifier.

Does anyone have a suitable design?  We could buy something I suppose but we had such a great time building "The Reds"...

Barry

index.php/fa/15863/0/

Bogic Petrovic

Re: Looking For A Good DIY Subwoofer Design
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:35:24 AM »

For your students, most comprehensive subwoofer design freely available is "Thor", a Siegfried Linkwitz design

For a driver choice look at T/S parameters and S.L. analysis "SPL Limits"

Originally, Peerless 830500 driver was used in Thor, if you can find it (at least it's in production again, AFAIK), it's best. All others are similar but some of it can't fit compression subwoofer, or can fit with some corrections in design, that probably won't be a problem for your students, especially because S.L. pages describe design process in detail.

FYI drivers with similar construction today make Tymphany (under Peerless brand) AND Scan-Speak (they are now different companies)

Also, there are smaller design, describing Pluto+subwoofer, and it's also can be very informative and useful.

From my experience, Hypex modules work well with both XLS and XXLS type of drivers, regardless of their region with pretty small impedance

regards,

Boggy

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/3/361/

While this is probably more sub than those speakers can keep up with. This sub design is free to copy for non-commercial use.

It was designed several years ago by Tom Danley a pretty serious speaker guy and powerful enough for live sound reinforcement use.

If you really want to shake your building these can be stacked and work well together seamlessly in groups of 4, even better than one alone, but one should be adequate for your application. One may be too large physically for your taste.

You'd probably have the first one(s) ever painted red...

JR

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 04:36:25 PM »

Thanks for the great leads guys.  I'll check them out!

Barry

Barry Hufker

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:33:38 AM »

Here's what we finally decided to build:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/diy.html

I selected the plans for the 15" down-firing subwoofer using Rythmik Audio's drive and plate amplifier.

I'm confident this will be a good choice.

I searched a bazillion sites based on the initial information here.

Many thanks to those who provided help.  

Barry

Barry Hufker

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:24 PM »

We installed an integrated our Rythmik sub.  Sounds fantastic.  Clean, tight, deep bass.  Certainly money and time very well spent.

Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 16 queries.