R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GRid codes.... How to encode ?  (Read 2051 times)

Ed Littman

GRid codes.... How to encode ?
« on: November 27, 2010, 06:58:36 PM »

If a client supplies me with this code how do I encode this using Wavelab? or is there another application that is needed?...Thanks

From the IFPI site:

How is a GRid structured?

The identifier is alphanumeric, 18 characters in length and has a fixed format. The first two parts are allocated by the GRid Registration Agency and the last two by the user themselves.
The parts are:

Schema Identifier - always set at A1 to denote this is a recording industry release
Issuer Code - five characters - identifies the entity allocating GRids to releases
IP Bundle Number - 10 characters - identifies the particular release
Check Digit - a calculated value that ensures it has not been corrupted
EXAMPLE: A1-2425G-ABC1234002-M

TotalSonic

Re: GRid codes.... How to encode ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »

That's a new one on me!  Seems to have been established in 2007 - was wondering when the IFPI would come up with something to replace the ISRC (which is running out of unused prefixes and is just not designed to be as sweeping of an identification system as what seems to be implemented in this "GRID" spec).  

I read down a bunch of the info there but found absolutely nothing regarding what software actually supports embedding this.  

One thing I am sure of though: there is absolutely nowhere in the Red Book spec where you can embed this into a CD's TOC metadata.  This metadata format is solely designed for digital distribution formats.  

It's very possible that the IFPI provides proprietary software to embed this to content providers or digital aggregators who have jumped through their hoops to get this (although I'm just guessing at this).

Unless I'm misinterpreting this info - according to the Wiki on the id3 tag the ID3v2 Frame Specification (Version 2.3) does in fact support the GRID tag.  So you might be able to embed it into mp3 or other id3 taggable formats such as flac by placing the code (I believe preceded by the "GRID" markup tag followed by a space) into an unused comment space.  However - I do not know if this is true so I would make sure you test this first (which of course would mean having some kind of reader for embedded GRID - of which I don't know of any!).

Sounds to me like this is something you should tell the client that you can't embed for them at this time - and maybe see if you can get any more info regarding it directly from the IFPI.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ed Littman

Re: GRid codes.... How to encode ?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »

Thanks Steve,

Here is the faq page & handbook. This code is not designed to replace the IRSC codes but to work with them.
Found this in the hand book.

4.6.2 Record Keeping
All GRids shall have a minimum set of data associated with them to uniquely identify the IP Bundle; this data shall be stored in a Repository Service, which is compliant with rules established by the Registration Authority (IFPI).

4.6.3. Repository Services
All Applicants who successfully become Issuers are obliged to associate minimum descriptive data for each Release they issue and to deposit this in a Compliant Repository Service (CRS) as these come available. The Registration Authority will regularly notify Issuers when new compliant CRS’ become available.

http://87.84.226.196/grid/grid-faq.html

http://87.84.226.196/grid/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.