R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NO LIE: All of the different web browsers play back MP3's differently.  (Read 3147 times)

breathe

I only noticed this when Apple updated its Safari web browser last week, and I immediately noticed that the sound of MP3's playing back on the updated browser sounded significantly different than MP3's playing back on any of the earlier versions of Safari I had been using since the browser first came out.  Basically, MP3's playing back on the new Safari sound crappy.  I also noticed that Safari was no longer using a Quicktime plug-in to play back MP3's, as apparently that functionality had been integrated into the code of the browser.  I then went to Google's Chrome browser and listened back to the same MP3 file I had on my web server, and Chrome sounded even worse with its built-in MP3 playback functionality.  I then went to the Firefox browser, and noticed that browser was still using the Quicktime plug-in, and playback from that browser returned me to the good sound quality I have enjoyed before.  I have since decided to switch from Safari as my main browser to Firefox, solely because of this issue, though there will probably be perks to this switch because I use Thunderbird for my e-mail.

End rant.

Nicholas

Fletcher

Re: NO LIE: All of the different web browsers play back MP3's differently.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »

I reckon that makes sense - though I frankly never thought about it - when someone sends me an MP-3 I usually end up playing it through iTunes.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

rankus

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »

I try not to think about what the person on the other end is listening to my work on these days... Too depressing, and I have no control over that anyway.

Sadly

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Gio

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:55:11 PM »

rankus wrote on Mon, 15 November 2010 20:50

I try not to think about what the person on the other end is listening to my work on these days... Too depressing, and I have no control over that anyway.

Sadly

No kidding.....

AFA browsers, I stopped using Safari ages ago. Firefox on all my computers.
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Jim Williams

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:52:07 AM »

Just a different version of poor quality audio. Some of us pine for the good old days of PCM 44.1k 16 bit audio.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Spindrift

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »

Jim Williams wrote on Tue, 16 November 2010 06:52

Just a different version of poor quality audio. Some of us pine for the good old days of PCM 44.1k 16 bit audio.

Ha!  Anyone remember the Sony PCM-1600 that you mixed/mastered to that sent the bitstream to a VHS tape???  

jimlongo

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:59:15 PM »

YEah it was especially groovy watching the recorded signal.  But talk about grungy DACs.

breathe

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:21:18 AM »

I think it's kind of silly to completely write off compressed formats such as MP3, especially when a sizable portion of the world experiences music exclusively through this format.  Though this forum has hipped me to supposedly better software, Barbabatch has been a real breakthrough for me because with it I can now make (with a single click no less) MP3's of split stereo 24/96 WAV files recorded in Pro Tools that actually can be used as a reference of mixes to send to clients without having to bend over backwards explaining to them how the MP3 sounds horrible and the actual mix sounds (hopefully) good.

I guess I'm just promoting finding nuances/differences within every technological situation, especially when they impact the experience of a large number of people who for whatever reason are unable to experience sound reproduction in an ideal way.

Nicholas

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.