R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastering by automation: a reality or a scam?  (Read 2250 times)

brunoj

Mastering by automation: a reality or a scam?
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »

I've been following closely this controversial subject and so far, what i'm reading from the mastering guys is that it's not possible so it's nothing but a scam to get naive music peoples.

It makes sense to me, how can a program predict a desirable high peak from one that is not? or how can an automatic program determine the best loudness/peak limiting from the different variety of music styles? how can a program know that some more impact on the bass could be good while some areas of the spectrum should be left alone?

The fact that someone can create a cookie cutter to master everything is like the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard about audio.

If wecould have a plane take off and land by itself, could we trust that it will never fail? Or how about medicine? Would you subject yourself to a quadruple bypass operation by a machine?

I think we will have the ability to do this things first before any template or an online "instant" mastering service can replace the attention to detail a professional mastering engineer brings to the table.

This may sound like a joke to you the guys who are doing this kind of work for a living, but for many new to audio people it could be a real option just because some service offers it.

So if it's scam say it, if not then explain why.

What's your opinion MEs?

J. Bruno

masterhse

Re: Mastering by automation: a reality or a scam?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »

deleted {double post]
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

masterhse

Re: Mastering by automation: a reality or a scam?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:05:41 AM »

An interesting parallel in the advertising industry:

http://www.eurorscg4d.com/2010-05-11_BETC_KAY.html

While mastering isn't a completely creative skill, it does require an understanding of creativity and preserving the original intent. Presets and batch processing (while good for some mundane tasks) can't produce original solutions or results.

Of course Henry Ford might have taken an exception to this.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.