R/E/P > Brad Blackwood

Monitor advice wanted

(1/5) > >>

Gregg Janman:
Hey all,

Thanks in advance for any helpful nuggets of wisdom!

As some of you know, I've only been mastering professionally for about a year, although I've been doping it to my own and my friends mixes for the last ten years or so. As you may also know, for that whole period I have been using Yamaha MSP5 monitors, in the same room, which I have come to know and love.

Next year, we'll probably be re-locating to Milan, from Yokohama, and at that time I am imagining I'll have about UK

lowland:
Hi Gregg,

Of the speakers you've been offered I'd be wanting to check out the ATCs - I haven't heard the 20s, but it's been said they possess the same 'family' thing as larger speakers in the range (and those I do know), albeit in a two-way enclosure and with a higher bass rolloff - it's possible you might want to think about a sub or subs if you took that route.

Focals? What I've heard of them sounded good, though I don't especially think of the smaller ones as mastering speakers for some reason. Your budget might cover a second-hand set of PMC AML1s, now superseded by AML2s which could help keep the price down a bit. I've used the 1s for a few years now and can definitely recommend them for mastering, although on a different tack I do know that Bob Macc (UK-based, sometimes seen both here and at GS) is selling a set of K+H 300s in your price bracket - contact Bob direct for more details or PM me for his email if required.

Gregg Janman:
Thanks for your input Nigel. I have also heard good things about those PMCs you mention, but I'm probably going to go with the ATC's.

lowland:
Go for it, Gregg - all the best with whatever you end up getting.

Gregg Janman:
Thanks. My friend (who will sell me his ATCs) assures me they will be incomparable with my current Yamahas!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version