R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1073LB 500 series  (Read 8931 times)

eljaron

1073LB 500 series
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:08:07 AM »

Anyone tried these yet? I'm super interested.

MI

Re: 1073LB 500 series
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »

It just came out....although some are dismayed by surface mount build.
Not what comes to mind when you think of a 1073.

But if you "NEED" the Neve name...this surely is a solution.

However there are better solutions...
Brent Averill, Daking, API...

MI

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 03:44:32 AM »

Are these running on 16V, or is there a voltage converter inside to bump them up to 24V?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:22:26 AM »

500 Series frames are
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:53:43 AM »

Right, but I was wondering if they're running these at 16V.  The way Dan Kennedy dealt with it took up some real estate, and it the GR pres are 2 units wide.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

amorris

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:33 AM »

if Rups were still involved they sure would have a voltage converter. (he seems to like those). very good question though. I would be very interested in a 1k 1073 pre only, if it were close to a real thing. +-16v wouldnt be very close.  

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:20:01 PM »

If your trying to make a perfect lunchbox for live/mobile apps I'd see it very useful.  But, you can basically get vintage 1272's of ebay for that price.  Unless you really need that 3rd gain stage. Plus the fact that ams is selling something that cheap makes me nervous- they dont price anything that low.  After I bought and sold the 8816, I'm not really that excited about their whole carnhill tranny.
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Geoff_T

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 09 November 2010 06:22

500 Series frames are
Geoff Tanner
http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0595093329/ref=sib_dp_pt/104 -6861899-0350336#reader-link

NB Please do not pm me if you want a fast response... please email me.

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »

Geoff, what is your opinion of the "Surface Mount Controversy"?

And if you prefer not to comment, understood.

Thanks.

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »

While I wouldn't dare to presume to speak for Geoff - my take on "surface mount" is that most of the stuff we use these days is made with the technology - from some of the best converters to SSL desks and lots of other gear.  

While it requires special tools for repair [and a magnifying glass] the fact of the matter is that not too many studios have techs - or the ability to do "on sight" repairs anyway so that shouldn't be a huge determining factor.

There are other factors that occur in things like "vintage" Neev stuff that I don't believe can be replicated in surface mount [like the use of Tantalum capacitors] but the AMS thing is a "new build" that draws from an old name -- should it be judged against the "old stuff"?  Probably because it bears the same name -- [like a Universal Audio 610 isn't a piece of garbage, until you compare it to an original of the same name]... so I dunno - whadda you think?
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

johnR

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:57:10 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 12 November 2010 16:15

There are other factors that occur in things like "vintage" Neev stuff that I don't believe can be replicated in surface mount [like the use of Tantalum capacitors]

SMD tantalums are readily available. I haven't had a chance to compare the sound with the through-hole bead tantalums as used in old Neve stuff though.

Looking at some of the pictures of the new 500 Neves it looks like they could have used them (they'll be the rectangular yellow things if that's the case).

kats

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 12 November 2010 10:15

the fact of the matter is that not too many studios have techs - or the ability to do "on sight" repairs anyway so that shouldn't be a huge determining factor.

If you were good at playing with a Lego set when you were 5, you can replace a cap or resistor. I think it's THE determining factor. The equipment to do so would be less than the cost of shipping out a channel card (the first time).
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

MI

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »

It's probably a great preamp in it's own right, and I would love to hear it.
I just find it amusing (and annoying) the use of the model number which is misleading
to someone looking for THAT particular model.

Are we to understand that THIS is the modern equivalent to 1073 preamp?
Or just a 1073 inspired preamp built with modern technology?

In the end, the only REAL determining factor should be the sound...

Just like when clients look at waveforms...and say they want it NORMALIZED...because it doesn't look right  Confused

MI

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »

On the model number - one look at Gearslutz and that is obvious - the majority of the kids who got out of 'kordin' skool have no idea that Neve
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

kats

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 12:10:37 PM »

Right, you can't blame a company for marketing something under the name it's known as (in spite that there actually was no 1073 pre-amp). As long as it sounds like the pre-amp in a 1073 etc, it's fair game.

On a side note, I have a vintage 1073 with the marinair xformers etc and we did a shootout against 3 other originals and an AMS version. Believe it or not the AMS version sounded closest to mine than the other vintage units (on acoustic guitar anyhow). So I think AMS is probably trying to do things right even though it is impossible to do things exactly.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up