R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US seeks to expand military presence in Asia  (Read 1784 times)

Hallams

US seeks to expand military presence in Asia
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:27:29 AM »

I wonder how this will play out over the next 10 years. China has been moving in a subtle but strategic way for a while now in relation to its "provision of aid etc' in South East Asia and the Pacific Islands.In East Timor for example Australia's aid is larger than that of the Chinese but the Chinese contribution is of a much more visible "look at what we are doing" nature with several large profile building projects ....... now the US is moving in response. Makes me a tad uneasy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11705355
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Tidewater

Re: US seeks to expand military presence in Asia
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »

Is this the first moment you have recognized unease? I have some very bad news for you. Are you sitting down?

The whole World is coming apart at great expense to just ordinary people. Cruel men with tremendous resources are making there way to a dictatorship near you.

We could stop it, but I am betting on not. We have a shitty track rcord when it comes to stopping things from going wildly astray.

It's like a freight train. There are people with parcels on that train. They want it to arrive. It's coming.. I can hear the whistle blowing in the distance.

Peace
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Hallams

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:15:18 PM »

Tidewater wrote on Mon, 08 November 2010 08:01

Is this the first moment you have recognized unease? I have some very bad news for you. Are you sitting down?

The whole World is coming apart at great expense to just ordinary people. Cruel men with tremendous resources are making there way to a dictatorship near you.

We could stop it, but I am betting on not. We have a shitty track rcord when it comes to stopping things from going wildly astray.

It's like a freight train. There are people with parcels on that train. They want it to arrive. It's coming.. I can hear the whistle blowing in the distance.

Peace

....yes I'm sitting down, and i have recognized unease. But it's the announcement just made here in Oz for an expansion of the US
military presence here and the possible backlash from China that has me a bit concerned.
By saying "We could stop it", if you are referring to US foreign policy / military initiatives, then i am very concerned with that option. The issue at the cantre of this move seems to be, as quoted from the Age:
China has provoked regional alarm in recent months after a maritime dispute with Japan and a standoff over territorial claims in the South China Sea.[end quote]
  http://www.theage.com.au/national/backlash-fear-over-us-ties -20101107-17iy3.html

....and regarding "Cruel men with tremendous resources are making there way to a dictatorship near you."......... i think the problem is that the Corporate giants already at work globally have systematically re structured the redistribution of income so that the top minuscule percentage of the population has the lion's share, no dictatorship necessary for this to have taken place..... just the combination of a quasi democratically elected govt with dysfunctional checks and balances and the rule of laissez faire.
Cruel men with tremendous resources are at the center of the problem on both sides of the political, divide and they are the very epitome of the reason why effective checks and balances are indispensable and why both democratic laissez faire and dictatorship will result in poverty for the greater percentage of people.

This is all a side issue to the topic of the thread though as my main concern are with the implications of an increased military presence of the USA here in Australia, as i am concerned with China's move on the South China Sea.

Peace.....?

Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Tidewater

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:35:48 PM »

Yes, sorry. I understand what you mean.

China is just making the best of a (our collective) bad situation.

Life is scary.

Yeah, peace! Be well, stuff like that.
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.