R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better stereo digital format converter than Midiman CO3?  (Read 2701 times)

breathe

Better stereo digital format converter than Midiman CO3?
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »

I'm thinking about switching from my Benchmark DAC1 to the D/A in my Cranesong HEDD as my main stereo D/A.  I need to be able to play out stuff from iTunes into said D/A.  My Mac Pro has a Toslink optical output which I had been feeding into the Benchmark with a Toslink Monster Cable to great sonic success.  The HEDD does not have an optical input so I dug out of storage my old M Audio converter box I bought 11 years ago.  The box powers up and does convert the Toslink signal from the Mac Pro into coax which I have connected to the HEDD with a Canare coax cable, but something is not happening with the sound.  Either it's the M Audio box or I just don't like the sound of the HEDD's D/A.  Assuming the problem is the former, can anyone recommend a really simple and small high quality single input format converter?  I don't need a Z Sys box.

Thanks and best,
Nicholas

Randyman...

Re: Better stereo digital format converter than Midiman CO3?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:04 PM »

Any chance you have a media player on your main DAW?  Can you compare the DAC-1 to the Cranesong on your DAW using your media player and eliminate the CO3 variable before you drop cash on a new Toslink/Coax converter?
I've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there.

Randy Visentine
Semi-Pro Audio-Engineer/Musician/Crazy Guy

Fletcher

Re: Better stereo digital format converter than Midiman CO3?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »

I don't know if Lucid is still in business [they were, then they stopped, then they came back - I don't know if they're still back or not] -- but they made a pretty damn good one when they were in business...

Hope that helps.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 16 queries.