R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Tough Election Night  (Read 17544 times)

Skullsessions

Re: Very Tough Election Night
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »

Fine...sure...I take it back.

They both are equally qualified, as are all natural born citizens of age 35yrs +.
James Hook
Houston, TX

Jay Kadis

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »

Skullsessions wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 17:49

we get the most liberal, progressive, leftist, unqualified President of all time?
What an obtuse thing to say.  Better have a look at history.

jonathan jetter

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 11:07:33 AM »

most liberal president?

i think that has to be FDR, and it's not even close.

least qualified to hold office?

in terms of prior experience....perhaps Abraham Lincoln.  one term in the House and several terms in the state legislature

least able to fulfill his obligations?

maybe Hoover.  or Grant.  Harding could probably have been indicted.  GWB makes my short list too.

the Tea Party has some admirable goals.  but their candidates are often just flat-out stupid.  Christine O'Donnell, for example, is an idiot.  a completely indefensible idiot.

and overall i take issue with the idea that this new batch of politicians assembling under this new Tea Party banner will somehow be inherently more honest.  these people say whatever needs to be said in order to get elected and then, once in office, they plunder whatever can be plundered to make the rich richer.

ssltech

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »

Elections are just a popularity contest when you boil it all down.

-And if the people who vote are 'mushrooms' (Kept in the dark and fed crap occasionally) then you can see what happens.

I suppose Winston Churchill summed it up best when he said that democracy was the WORST form of government... apart from all the others.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Barry Hufker

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »

I wish they were just a popularity contest.  I probably would have agreed with that up until the last decade.  I think they are much more sinister than that.  Most pop contests don't have such serious consequences.

Barry

ssltech

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »

The ELECTION itself is a popularity contest.

What the electees do is the problem.

Trouble with democracy is that the largely uninformed (in which number I count myself!) get to choose who gets to do whatever they can. -When people with selfish aims or malice in mind figure out ways to win those 'popularity contests', they can -under the right conditions- win with such large margins, that they claim a 'mandate'.

For so long as there's people like Sarah Palin (with no apparent comprehension whatsoever of important stuff like what goes on in the globe with which she would have to interact) who play to the whims of the popularity contest, we'd better ALL watch out.

The era of the 'celebritician' is not a particularly new one... but the prospects as of today are truly horrifying.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Jay Kadis

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »

As long as popular culture rewards the outliers, the political system won't work as intended.

Tidewater

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2010, 02:01:43 AM »

Fiasco wrote on Wed, 03 November 2010 17:57

Perhaps that's the problem, people looking to the government to do something to "please" them.

I don't ask for anything I can't afford. I'd never have you afford something for me. Ever. Nothing. Even if it would keep me alive for 6 months.

If you ever come down to Georgia, look me up. We aren't as retarded as we are made out to be.

Firing the whole government has occurred to me frequently. I still don't understand what the DOE or DOEd do. I can't help but throw up in my mouth just a little when I see someone who truly dislikes America reading another teleprompted edict.

Not me. Not now. Not ever. I'll starve before I feed that machine.

Rough election? Yeah. No way to reverse the damage caused in the last 100 years, and the 100 years before that, and the 100 before that.. and the.... humanity sucks. It's made of people.
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Barry Hufker

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2010, 02:29:57 AM »

People, money, people and money... all are bad elements of elections and government.  Things would be fine if everyone thought exactly as I do.  You know... and then voted me king.

Barry

Tidewater

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2010, 02:41:49 AM »

I'd rather take that bet than the one presented, anytime.

I think you have too much respect for people to do the things that are done to the people, on the people, by other people.

We may never agree, but we will always agree.. ya know.

Wink

Barry Hufker

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »

Smile

Very kind of you.

But frankly, I wouldn't want me either.  Power corrupts and all that.  And I'm too much of a PITA.

But I'm grateful for the confidence and kind thought.  It shows what a good guy you are.

Barry

Tidewater

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2010, 06:07:37 PM »

I don't have to agree with someone to make them a good leader.

There is a great deal of underused pragmatism involved in herding cats.

Wink

M

Paul Cavins

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 09:34:59 PM »

Maybe a case can be made that as crappy as politicians and the gubmint are, then the ideal setup would be a society where the central gubmint has much less influence on society, and is as small as possible.

Then whatever they did wouldn't impact the greater society as much.

If power corrupts, then wouldn't less power corrupt to a lesser degree?

PC

Barry Hufker

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »

Take a look at Somalia.  Ain't much of a government there.  The power has shifted to the pirates who do whatever they want.  There is no such thing as a power vacuum.  Someone or something always fills it.

Barry

Paul Cavins

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2010, 11:05:50 PM »

Well, there is not much of a tradition of democracy and the rule of law in Somalia. I don't want some kooky law-of-the-jungle situation, just what we have today but with a significantly smaller government that isn't seen as the natural place to go for solving problems.

BIg can with lots of worms, I know.

PC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.