R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Tough Election Night  (Read 17534 times)

DarinK

Re: Very Tough Election Night
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »

Kris wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 09:34

My point is that thinking the principles you and your family live by when it comes to money should also apply to your Government doesn't make you full of crap and and idiot.  If that's your argument then you've already lost.

I'm all for government stimulus spending.  It's supply and demand.  The only way for the economy to recover is for people to purchase goods/services, which will stimulate the growth of businesses.  Until people start spending, there will be no growth/hiring - how could there be?  And the people currently do not have the money to increase spending - without an increase in jobs/income, how could they?  The point of stimulus spending is that it gets people back to work, hopefully doing useful things like improving our infrastructure.  This puts money back into people's hands, where it will be spent, spurring more business. Hopefully by the time the stimulus spending runs out, the economy will be doing well enough without it.
I am totally against giving the money directly to big business, in tax cuts or any other form.  This will not increase the need for workers, so will not result in hiring or expansion of business.
Of course, it's not as simple as all this.  But family money principles are not exactly the same as business money principles, which are not exactly the same as government money principles.  But there is one principle that applies to all:  when money is tight, just cutting spending is sometimes not enough; often there needs to be a way to increase income, as well.  And "it takes money to make money" - sometimes in tight times, you have to spend money (even borrowed money) to make more money in the long term.  Whether it's buying used tools to pick up some handyman work, or buying better recording gear to remain competitive, or government putting people back to work to jump start the economy, the principle is the same.

Kris

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 12:45

There are significant differences between individual financial responsibility and how the national government operates.  The Federal government can do things the individual cannot - print more money, raise taxes, change interest rates, etc.  Simply equating the two is an over-simplification.

And there lies the debate.  One I'm not qualified for! Cool  I'm all for simplifying things though, when and if possible...  Use that mute button!

Jay Kadis

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 01:34:26 PM »

Kris wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 10:03

Jay Kadis wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 12:45

There are significant differences between individual financial responsibility and how the national government operates.  The Federal government can do things the individual cannot - print more money, raise taxes, change interest rates, etc.  Simply equating the two is an over-simplification.

And there lies the debate.  One I'm not qualified for! Cool  I'm all for simplifying things though, when and if possible...  Use that mute button!
Nor am I.  That's just the point: most voters don't understand the entirety of the financial system so maybe we are not best served by making these decisions based on our own understandings.  The idea of having a government was to have people who DO understand it deal with it.  Unfortunately it looks like NOBODY understands the system fully.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »

Well, it's official.  Obama reached out to the Republicans in his message and they plainly stated theirs -- their sole mission in the next two years is to make sure Obama is a one-term president.

A snake can shed its skin but Republicans can't.  In fact they only get more diseased.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101104/ap_on_re_us/us_bipartisa n_challenge

Barry

Berolzheimer

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »

Republicorp spent 7 times as much as the Dems & their supporters in this election.  In a way it's encouraging that, despite that, they didn't take over the Senate.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

PRobb

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 05:54:56 PM »

Kris wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 12:46

Saying you answered my question when you didn't?  

You lost my vote! Smile

Anything to avoid the real issue. Which is that since Reagan the right has been feeding us the same line of bullshit.
-Balance the budget!
-How?
-Tax cuts!
-But that makes no sense.
-The cuts stimulate the economy and increase revenue.
-Been trying that for 30 years. The data is in. No it doesn't.
-And we'll balance it with spending cuts.
-Hearing that for 30 years too. Guess who the only president in that time to cut spending was? Did you say Clinton? Cause that's the answer. Cut spending, raise taxes, Oh My God! the deficit went away! That's why the right hates Clinton so much.

Cut taxes, raise spending.That is where these huge deficits come from. And the people who created them keep getting reelected by opposing deficits while hawking the same pile of bullshit that caused them.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Steve Hudson

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 07:34:15 PM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 16:21

Republicorp spent 7 times as much as the Dems & their supporters in this election.  In a way it's encouraging that, despite that, they didn't take over the Senate.

I read somewhere that $4 billion was spent on political advertising this election, a record for a mid-term election. I have to agree that the Republican'ts didn't get a very solid payback for the $3.5 billion they spent. But I suppose that's why the GOP wants to extend the Bush tax cuts to the wealthiest 2% - so the rich can afford to donate at those levels.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Skullsessions

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:20 PM »

You liberal progressives instinctively know that you've been caught red-handed...and that's why you're shitting yourselves right now.

You who argue that Tea Partiers aren't upset about federal spending prior to Obama aren't listening.

It took both GWB and BHO to bring the pot to a boil.

Bickering over D's and R's is to miss the fact that Tea Partiers don't care about D's and R's.  You're all fair game.  And I think the fact that Tea Partiers were knowingly willing to lose a couple of battles this time around shows that they stand for concrete principals, rather than group-think "we gotta have more R's than D's".

If the R's survive the next decade, it's because they will move to the Tea Partiers...not the other way around.

ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.
Indeed.  The election of BHO is bringing about consequences that no one intended.  On the heels of a two-term "conservative" President that turned his back on conservatism and ran up a giant deficit, we get the most liberal, progressive, leftist, unqualified President of all time?  THAT almost makes me want to believe in God.  Is that YOU, baby Jesus, that woke everyone up from their slumber?

James Hook
Houston, TX

ssltech

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »

Skullsessions wrote

...the most ... unqualified President of all time?

nope.

That would be his predecessor.

To whos 'unqualified', you might add 'inept' and -just to add insult to those who can clearly speak and think- 'ineloquent'.
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

PRobb

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »

ssltech wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 20:56

Skullsessions wrote

nope.

To whos 'unqualified', you might add 'inept' and -just to add insult to those who can clearly speak and think- 'ineloquent'.

Really. People who supported Bush don't get to talk about qualified.
People who support Palin don't get to even think about it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

el duderino

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 10:28:13 PM »

Skullsessions wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 20:49

You liberal progressives instinctively know that you've been caught red-handed...and that's why you're shitting yourselves right now.

HA! the R's took the house of representatives dude. those people are in place for only 2 years which means they work for about 10 months and go into campaign mode. what makes you think that the first 10 months of the next congress will be more productive on any front than the last?

Quote:

You who argue that Tea Partiers aren't upset about federal spending prior to Obama aren't listening.

It took both GWB and BHO to bring the pot to a boil.

Bickering over D's and R's is to miss the fact that Tea Partiers don't care about D's and R's.  You're all fair game.

So how many tea party backed D's were there this year?

Quote:

And I think the fact that Tea Partiers were knowingly willing to lose a couple of battles this time around shows that they stand for concrete principals, rather than group-think "we gotta have more R's than D's".

is that why they were third party candidates?

Quote:

If the R's survive the next decade, it's because they will move to the Tea Partiers...not the other way around.

if that happens they're toast. but maybe i think of the tea party differently than you.

Quote:

ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.
Indeed.  The election of BHO is bringing about consequences that no one intended.  On the heels of a two-term "conservative" President that turned his back on conservatism and ran up a giant deficit, we get the most liberal, progressive, leftist, unqualified President of all time?  THAT almost makes me want to believe in God.  Is that YOU, baby Jesus, that woke everyone up from their slumber?

you seem to buy into waaay more bullshit than the average person.

what makes him the most liberal, progressive, leftist president?

let me guess, its because someone sick and poor will be able to see a doctor and be treated right?

Barry Hufker

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 12:09:59 AM »

I'm willing to give Tea Partiers a chance.  The proof is in their actions.  Do something wonderful for the country and you won't hear me bitch.  But the odds are against them as I haven't heard any TP say one sensible thing.  However, if they prove me wrong I'll give them the credit.

Now, will TP people do the same for the Dems?

Barry

Skullsessions

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 08:49:59 AM »

ssltech wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 19:56

Skullsessions wrote

nope.

THIS is exactly the point.

You still want to play tit-for-tat.
James Hook
Houston, TX

Skullsessions

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »

PRobb wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 20:50

ssltech wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 20:56

Skullsessions wrote

nope.

Really. People who supported Bush don't get to talk about qualified.
People who support Palin don't get to even think about it.

I see that you quoted me, but left out the part where I show no love for GWB....yet you spin it to make it look like I'm a supporter of GWB.

More of the "but he started it" bullshit that's got us all stuck in a position of accepting ANY answer over the correct ones.
James Hook
Houston, TX

ssltech

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 09:08:34 AM »

Not at all... YOU said that BHO was the most unqualified president ever, not me.

I pointed out that I consider that to be entirely inaccurate, and merely added some other qualifications of his predecessor.

Simple.
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.