R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Little Labs IBP like The Pill before herpes/AIDS?  (Read 9305 times)

Ryan Massey

Re: Is the Little Labs IBP like The Pill before herpes/AIDS?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 03:23:59 AM »

QUEEF BAG wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 18:18

if you need stereo, get a tape measure and
make sure they are both the same distance from the center of
the snare.

Aww, but now my kick drum sounds off center.  Can't win!
Razz
   =www.sharkbitestudios.com=

Fletcher

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 07:41:47 AM »

breathe wrote on Tue, 02 November 2010 12:46

But doesn't it just do what the Waves Renaissance Bass plug-in does?

No - they sound [and work] really [REALLY] well!!

Quote:

Even if I had the cash just laying around to buy 4 VOG's my control room is so small, I literally don't think I have the room to put them anywhere.

They fit in a 500 series frame - if you don't have room for a 500 series frame then you're out of room for hardware in general.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

maarvold

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 11:07

maarvold wrote on Tue, 02 November 2010 21:04

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 02 November 2010 09:58

Tim Halligan wrote on Mon, 01 November 2010 23:37

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 02 November 2010 13:52

Sliding tracks around will not do the same thing.  I think sliding tracks around on a multiple mic source is usually a bad idea.  

...and I agree, but there was that fashion of sliding the Overheads back in time to line up with the snare drum for that "rad in your face" sound

I always thought that was a stupid idea.  Now you have your crash cymbals early.  

Mistake above:

If you justify to the snare mic's timing position, the overheads would have to move forward to align the snare's attack in time.  This would also more correctly represent when the guy played it since there would be no 4 msec (or so) of delay as the snare's compression wave travels to the overhead mics.  

I'm sorry, but I don't see the mistake you are talking about.

Sorry J.J.--not your mistake. And it might just be semantics.  Either way, I should have done a better job of explaining.

"...that fashion of sliding the Overheads back in time..."

If you buy the concept that "back" means later--like "laid back"--then moving the overhead tracks back (later) would take the snare further out of time and phase alignment.  Maybe this is one of the those things like "the session is moved back" to some people means later, to some people means earlier.  

QUEEF BAG wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 18:18

if you need the snare to reach all the mics at the same time,
use just one mic. if you need stereo, get a tape measure and
make sure they are both the same distance from the center of
the snare.

There is a quote I love from a book on recording that goes something like this:

The first rule of getting a good recording--which has been ignored nearly since its inception--is never use more than one microphone unless absolutely necessary.  

Ryan Massey wrote on Fri, 05 November 2010 00:23

...but now my kick drum sounds off center...

You can certainly get the mics' distance from the snare equal and the kick equal at the same time... you could even match all 4 measurements.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

breathe

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 02:02:20 AM »

Good point.  Space has been, to an absurd degree, at a premium in the room of my house I've been using as a control room.  Like with all my stuff in there, there's only enough room for one body in the room.  Yesterday, with my tech here working on my MCI, things just got fucking ridiculous and I was like "That's it!" and made the decision to put the gear in the much larger master bedroom and put my bed in the tiny 2nd bedroom.  It will definitely make for a less enjoyable sleeping experience and make it that much harder to seduce women, but at least I'll finally have some real room to work in, more than enough room to but some more equipment racks in.  And be able to have the band actually in the control room with me.

Nicholas

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 05 November 2010 04:41

breathe wrote on Tue, 02 November 2010 12:46

But doesn't it just do what the Waves Renaissance Bass plug-in does?

No - they sound [and work] really [REALLY] well!!

Quote:

Even if I had the cash just laying around to buy 4 VOG's my control room is so small, I literally don't think I have the room to put them anywhere.

They fit in a 500 series frame - if you don't have room for a 500 series frame then you're out of room for hardware in general.

meverylame

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 02:21:48 AM »

breathe wrote on Sat, 06 November 2010 02:02

It will definitely  make it that much harder to seduce women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMLjv3pxc3M&feature=relat ed

Something tells me that the smaller bedroom one of many preexisting conditions in that department.

I keed! I keed!
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

Tidewater

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 03:24:02 AM »

Someone else tracked heavy guitars. 3 mics per cabinet. I normally use 1 mic.

4x3.... 57 a 121 and something that should be labled "toilet". Toilet was useable with IBP, and used for fattening the overall image with "toilet" hard panned. I like it on 2 57s up close for an almost M/Sing kind of mojo.

I used it once to flip overheads away from the snare to make the hat bleed lay down. Worked like magic in that mix. Luck! (not my luck, I have none.)

I move my room up if I feel like it, so YES, people still do that, just like locking offset and dumping between reels back when it was a secret and took like half an hour. (billable!)

Razz

IBP is very cool. Can it fix awfully recorded drums? Nope.

Edit: I time alter my DI vs Mic tracks by eye, then ear. The slipping feature does nothing for me.
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

zakco

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 05:18:01 PM »

My favorite use of the IBP has been with singing acoustic guitarists. I often find the phase relationship between the vocal mic and the guitar mic a tonal compromise for one or both sources. The IBP has pulled off outright miracles for me in that application...

Z

breathe

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 08:26:55 PM »

That's it!  You made me delete that fucking video off of YouTube I made drunk FIVE years ago.  I hope you're happy.

Nicholas

p.s. A video which, BTW, after first being posted on YT I was contacted by the producer of the nationally syndicated Whacked Out Video TV show and got paid $300 to let them use that short clip.

meverylame wrote on Fri, 05 November 2010 23:21

breathe wrote on Sat, 06 November 2010 02:02

It will definitely  make it that much harder to seduce women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMLjv3pxc3M&feature=relat ed

Something tells me that the smaller bedroom one of many preexisting conditions in that department.

I keed! I keed!

pete andrews

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 11:04:40 AM »

zakco wrote on Sat, 06 November 2010 17:18

My favorite use of the IBP has been with singing acoustic guitarists. I often find the phase relationship between the vocal mic and the guitar mic a tonal compromise for one or both sources. The IBP has pulled off outright miracles for me in that application...

Z

that is huge right there. i could've used one for last nights work!
with 2.5 hrs to get a song out the door from nothing to a *ahem* "mastered" final... you don't have a lot of time to run back and forth inching the mics around.

that may have finally sold me on one of these.

pete
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.