R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amek BIG ques. for J.  (Read 1694 times)

JPRisus

Amek BIG ques. for J.
« on: August 20, 2004, 02:35:11 PM »

Hey J., got a few questions about your Big...

I've been debating the pros and cons of an analog desk for a while now(been with a Tascam DM24 for over 2 years), and the Big seems to be of the price range and feature set that's most appealing, but i've heard very contrasting opinions of it's sonics. I remember reading about some sort of center section mod that you did to yours, and i've also heard of mods to help with the summing and individual channel performance. So I guess my questions are, how would you rate the EQ/summing/general sonic features, and what are the details of these mods? Is the EQ comparable to anything i might be familiar with? I'll sit down on one of these guys and give it a whirl before i start getting too serious, but i'd love to know what you think of the desk overall. I'm familiar with Supertrue, no probs there... no need for VD

FWIW, i'd be mixing out of DP4, probably via MOTU HD192s (3 units, 36 outputs into desk), and mixing to Masterlink. Might also use the desk for some tracking, extra mic inputs for drums etc.

Thanks dude!
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com
Purevolume.com/risusproductions

j.hall

Re: Amek BIG ques. for J.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »

JPRisus wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 13:35

So I guess my questions are, how would you rate the EQ/summing/general sonic features, and what are the details of these mods?

the mods i have done thus far are:

master section mod.....pretty massive
chips changed, caps replaced, VCA changed, gain structure tweaked......

same mod was done to the monitor path so you can hear the mod in the control room with out monitoring the actual 2-mix.

i added a really nice silver plated taper pot to the control volume to further clean up the monitor path.

i had all the VCA's in the entire desk changed from THAT 2151's to THAT 2181LA's

it's sounds AWESOME now.  before the VCA's were down the 2mix mod was really great.  the low end was cleaner, and the headroom of thedesk went to something useable (and possibly too much)

with the new VCA's on every channel it sounds like some one took a stack of packing blankets off the audio.

it's stunning the difference it's made.  

side note: you can not pass audio through this desk with out it going through the VCA.....it's the single largest (noticeable) mod you can make, and i'd recommend you do the master section and VCA's first.

summing.....prior to the 2mix mod, it was awful
with the 2mix mod, you'll have a tough time clipping it.  in fact, i've spoken with the tech that did it extensively about "turning it down"....i've opted to re-cal the meters to display levels a little differently then "0" and clipping.

Quote:

Is the EQ comparable to anything i might be familiar with?

that's tough to say.  before the VCA mod the EQ was relatively unuseable.  the mids were fine, the highs were a bit crispy and the lows were straight up sloppy.

now i can use the EQ with little second guessing.....the lows could be a bit tighter (API is my comparison as it's my favorite) but the highs are totally there now. and the low end through out the desk is VERY nice....

Quote:

I'll sit down on one of these guys and give it a whirl before i start getting too serious, but i'd love to know what you think of the desk overall.

you won't like a stock big....you'll love the automation power and the total recall.....and that's why i bought mine

plus i got it so cheap i couldn't say no.

two options

a friend in NJ owns a large frame version with the VCA mod i have.  he doesn't have the master section mod, but you can PM me and then contact him to see if you could scoot down there and do a quick mix.

option two.....fly out here and work on mine

tough thing about both is this.....you don't know our rooms.

Quote:

I'm familiar with Supertrue, no probs there... no need for VD

VD is nice for one thing......autopanners

it's nice to be able to automate the panning for guitars, and vox.  i run into that more times then you'd think
and my big can't do it.

with the mozart you could set the pan pot and engage the pan switch......let up on it and it goes back center.

Quote:

and mixing to Masterlink. Might also use the desk for some tracking, extra mic inputs for drums etc.

Thanks dude!

i go to a masterlink as well.......not for much longer though, probably just start printing into PT

mic pres i have little opinion on.....i've only used them once.

i typically don't do any tracking on my big as it sits in my mix room

and i have 4x 1272's if i need to cut a random vocal or keyboard.

i can't comment on the big pre's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.