R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermionic Phoenix VS Tube-tech SMC 2BM  (Read 5092 times)

Sonicblister

Thermionic Phoenix VS Tube-tech SMC 2BM
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »

I am will buy a new compressor next week.
I was thinking of buying the thermionic phoenix anniversary edition, but then, i realized that the compressors i use mostly (at least in plugging) are multi-band compressors.

I think both are top notch.

What do you have to say?
Any experience with them?
I am going to mix guitars primarily.

thnx
constantine
Sound is absolute. You just dont get it.

Fletcher

Re: Thermionic Phoenix VS Tube-tech SMC 2BM
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:14:01 AM »

"Which is better?" is a nebulous concept -- the greater question is "where are you using the device?" and "what are you trying to achieve?"
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Sonicblister

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:29:55 AM »

Well as i mentioned, I will use it mainly for guitars, cause in my studio i mainly record guitars. At some cases there will be other use for it, such as drums, vocals and even entire mixes, but my goal here is to be able to add the compression in need in my guitar tracks and some flavor.
I honestly consider thermionic to be the best outboard gear there is. Better than most expensive consoles as well. ABout TT i believe that there are a bit overpriced, brands like Tegeler audio have better equipment with half the price.
I guess that if there was a parametric compressor from thermionic i would buy it right away even for 10000.
The other question here is if the limited edition phoenix worth the extra $ form the normal edition.

I wait for more answers form you guys, since I cant see of listen to these units where i live, i have to make my decision thought the help i can find and my intuition.
thnx

constantine

ssltech

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:31:17 AM »

Fletcher noted

"Which is better?" is a nebulous concept -- the greater question is "where are you using the device?" and "what are you trying to achieve?"

...not to mention "what do you like?"

-You mentioned that you tend to like multi-band compression, for example. -For myself, I don't tend to use that sort of stuff on instruments; rather I only tend to use the SBC-2M on program material, when I need to try and 'control' something without stomping over the whole thing.

So our tastes and techniques are plainly very different. I doubt that you like the same things as I do, which is why "what do you like" becomes important.

Though, if you could build guitar amp control systems cheaper than anyone else, you should just build your own.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Sonicblister

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »

ssltech wrote on Fri, 22 October 2010 07:31

Fletcher noted

...not to mention "what do you like?"

-You mentioned that you tend to like multi-band compression, for example. -For myself, I don't tend to use that sort of stuff on instruments; rather I only tend to use the SBC-2M on program material, when I need to try and 'control' something without stomping over the whole thing.

So our tastes and techniques are plainly very different. I doubt that you like the same things as I do, which is why "what do you like" becomes important.

Though, if you could build guitar amp control systems cheaper than anyone else, you should just build your own.

Keith

Can you tell me more anout your compressor? How is it for you? Where do you use it and what do you think it can and cant do?
Thnx
constantine

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:35:01 AM »

Then there is always the concept of getting an analog crossover [digital crossovers have latency, you need an analog crossover] and making your own multiband compression -- you can do all kinds of cool things with that arrangement like parallel compression in a specific frequency range - ducking in a specific frequency range, etc.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Sonicblister

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 22 October 2010 08:35

Then there is always the concept of getting an analog crossover [digital crossovers have latency, you need an analog crossover] and making your own multiband compression -- you can do all kinds of cool things with that arrangement like parallel compression in a specific frequency range - ducking in a specific frequency range, etc.

Mr Fletcher sir, dont avoid it please. You know why we are here  (lol)
tell me your opinion about the Anniversary Phoenix. Please.
Also tell me the best analog crossover there is so i take a good look.

ssltech

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:07:19 AM »

We've got three of the Tube Tech multi-band units here. They get used for mastering, and not much else.

As for Fletcher's suggestion; ADR used to make a box in the 1980's which you used with their 'Gemini' stereo compressors (or anything else which took your fancy) to do multi-band.

It was used when we mixed 'Brotherhood' by New Order... -that's the thing I remember it definitely being used on... 'Bizarre Love Triangle' is one tune that I remember it being used on, for certain.

Looking at a spectrum analyser, you can SEE how it 'tames' the sound (which was pretty harsh, 'attack-y' and aggressive... well, this was the 1980's, after all!) -I'm not sure that I'd rush to try one for instruments, but if I had a particular problem of something 'popping-out' in a particular part of the spectrum, then I might call for one, but these days I tend to think that if you've got that much of a problem with a sound during recording, you shouldn't be recording that sound...

This sort of tool gets used by me when it's 'too late' and something which has already been mixed needs to be 'massaged' a little.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Sonicblister

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »

well still even with all your help, there is no clue in order to decide.
I really dont know what to do.
Please help me some more, i need your advice...

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »

Sonicblister wrote on Sat, 23 October 2010 17:42

Hi,

If I may chip in,

I cannot decide for you, nor can I try to sway you in a particular direction of purchase, simply because, since I have no idea what you are doing, how you are recording, how you or the musician is playing the instrument, what you do and do not like about the sounds that are being recorded are...

Well, there simply are too many unknowns to have any opinion, is there?

So far from your posts, all I get is that you somehow want someone else to justify your purchase of an expensive piece of gear, with an opinion based on no facts about your particular situation.

Or am I off base here?
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Edvaard

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 12:54:04 AM »

It seems that he was hoping for at least two or three descriptions of how the units were used by others and their impressions thereby, from which he might be able to extrapolate some loose translation to his own purpose, it being stated that is not in a situation to be able to test drive the units in question.

Quote:

Can you tell me more about your compressor? How is it for you? Where do you use it and what do you think it can and cant do?
Thnx
constantine

Sonicblister

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »

Nick Sevilla wrote on Sat, 23 October 2010 21:51

Sonicblister wrote on Sat, 23 October 2010 17:42

Hi,

If I may chip in,

I cannot decide for you, nor can I try to sway you in a particular direction of purchase, simply because, since I have no idea what you are doing, how you are recording, how you or the musician is playing the instrument, what you do and do not like about the sounds that are being recorded are...

Well, there simply are too many unknowns to have any opinion, is there?

So far from your posts, all I get is that you somehow want someone else to justify your purchase of an expensive piece of gear, with an opinion based on no facts about your particular situation.

Or am I off base here?

You are perfectly correct.
I really am already towards thermionic, before i started this post. I know i dont like tube-tech since i consider other brands doing the same as them ( as tegeler) better.
I want tho listen thought to what others have to say. Dont mind me.
I would like to listen things like: I love TT i use it in bass and drums, or i love this i use it like that and it sound like that.....

I really am between the phoenix or -portico 2 + 1176 from steffen muller + chanel strip from tegeler.

It is eather the Phoenic or these other.

please share with me your thoughts.
thnx
constantine

johnR

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »

Sonicblister wrote on Sun, 24 October 2010 16:36

I know i dont like tube-tech since i consider other brands doing the same as them ( as tegeler) better.

This is based on your own tests of the units in question, I presume.

Sonicblister

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 02:38:09 AM »

johnR wrote on Sun, 24 October 2010 11:56

Sonicblister wrote on Sun, 24 October 2010 16:36

I know i dont like tube-tech since i consider other brands doing the same as them ( as tegeler) better.

This is based on your own tests of the units in question, I presume.

Yes. I did a blind comparison some monts ago, between a TT chanell strip and the tegeler strip.
Teggeler sounded so much better... At least to my ears and to the owner of the TT...

Fletcher

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 03:35:21 AM »

FWIW - I've never had a piece of Thermionic gear let me down - especially for guitars - but as always, YMMV [don't know about the "anniversary stuff" as I've never tried it - but the regular stuff I've found to be excellent].

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.