R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cheap Dell for mastering?  (Read 3639 times)

Ronny

Re: cheap Dell for mastering?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 11:16:32 PM »

robdarling@mail.com wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 10:29

I'm at the flip side on Dell- I recently was setting up a client's system with a couple of Dells and had excellent customer service.

As for the toy appearance of windows- just change it.

As for the windows organizing audio files- just tell it not to and to not ask again when you pop in a cd.

I did change it.

As far as windows organizing audio files, when you can show me how to drag a .cda song from D drive cd player to C drive Windows hard disk, instead of just getting a shortcut and without having to go through a DAE program, let me know. I like the old Windows where it treated audio .cda as just any other file that Gates didn't think that I was too stupid to organize myself. You can forget about changing file names to full path, that does nothing, the shortcut still shows and that's all that will drag and drop. XP Pro is setup for a consumer, not a professional, but we all know how easy it is to stick the term Pro on piece of shit software. I'm going with a Carillion next time.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

bblackwood

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2004, 09:03:19 AM »

Ronny wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 22:16

I'm going with a Carillion next time.

I'm curious, what does Carillion do to access/address audio files that you can't?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ronny

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 05:23:52 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 09:03

Ronny wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 22:16

I'm going with a Carillion next time.

I'm curious, what does Carillion do to access/address audio files that you can't?

Can't really say about the file thing, Brad as I don't have that much information on the Carillion. My complaint is with the whole XP system. From what I've been hearing about the Carillion's, if true, they are a much more stable platform for audio apps. Maybe I just got a lemon, not sure, but I didn't have near the problems with Win 98. I'm still running my Dell Win 98 for some apps, but the processor is much slower. Also some of my newer audio apps won't run on the old Dell, so I'm a bit stuck with XP. Many people love XP, but my stand alone editors are much more stable than both my XP and 98 DAW's are and I'd like to see the same reliability/stability in a PC platform. I was expecting more from XP as I went 5 years from the last upgrade and don't see anything that is better.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------