R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: When did they figure out how to sync multiple multitracks?  (Read 12650 times)

bob ebeling

Re: When did they figure out how to sync multiple multitracks?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »

NOBODY SHOOT FLETCHER!  

The proper answer for anyone with less than 2 years flight time, to any question whatsoever, is 'Wait a second, where is your 4-track Tascam?  Who the hell do you think you are?'

Less than 5 years flight time, 'Wait a second, why are you asking about mix buss eq?  Who in THE HELL do you think you are?'

It's so fascist, but I've dreamed up these recording police many times before.  You get fined.  They disable your tracks remotely.  Any compression over 2 db gain reduction results in an instant suspension of compression privledges.  First offense is one week, second is one month, third is one year.

If you even try mix buss anything before your 10 year certification, you will be knocked back to 16 faders with two band eq (per channel) for 2 years.  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

mcsnare

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »

bob ebeling wrote on Thu, 14 October 2010 18:07

NOBODY SHOOT FLETCHER!  

The proper answer for anyone with less than 2 years flight time, to any question whatsoever, is 'Wait a second, where is your 4-track Tascam?  Who the hell do you think you are?'

Less than 5 years flight time, 'Wait a second, why are you asking about mix buss eq?  Who in THE HELL do you think you are?'

It's so fascist, but I've dreamed up these recording police many times before.  You get fined.  They disable your tracks remotely.  Any compression over 2 db gain reduction results in an instant suspension of compression privledges.  First offense is one week, second is one month, third is one year.

If you even try mix buss anything before your 10 year certification, you will be knocked back to 16 faders with two band eq (per channel) for 2 years.  

I think the appropriate authority to administer said privileges and suspensions thereof should be the Rock N Roll League Of Justice. A fictional organization once dreamed up by my pal R.S. Field.

Dave

Larrchild

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 12:27:27 AM »

Mag-Link And Minimag preceded SMPTE synchronizers and were used in the late 70's on the Bee Gee's "Spirits Having Flown" to sync 2 24 tks. I think Mike Flicker used that rig on the 2 16tks used for Heart's "Dreamboat Annie" too. Wire the play buttons together, line them up on the grease-mark and hope.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

grantis

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 12:54:21 AM »

YZ wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 08:01

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 01:42

The problem with people who are coming up now, is that they have never had to bounce. (snip)

Oh yes! The idea of starting with a limited track count is very good.

And yet the whole world whines about PT LE's track count limit.

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

jetbase

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 01:01:17 AM »

grantis wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 15:54

YZ wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 08:01

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 04 September 2010 01:42

The problem with people who are coming up now, is that they have never had to bounce. (snip)

Oh yes! The idea of starting with a limited track count is very good.

And yet the whole world whines about PT LE's track count limit.

I don't!
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

bob ebeling

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 08:34:38 AM »

The Rock-n-Roll Supertwins power ACTIVATE!

"We have a recent recording school graduate in a garage!  He's putting every new verse and chorus on seperate tracks!  He's also reading an 'EQ MAgazine' and eqing the drums before the mics are even set up!"  

Form of...Water!  I will pour myself into his microphones!

Form of...an Elephant!  I will just stomp on his computer!"
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

drknob

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 09:52:44 AM »

I had the good fortune to spend 9 years at O'Henry watching some of the old masters of scoring at work. Their ability to create amazing recordings with minimal mic and track count, often live to two track, was jaw-dropping. One of them, in a 'watch this, kid' moment, without a rehearsal, crossed his arms for the first take of the day, not touching a single fader. I was dumbfounded.
Harold Kilianski
CIRMMT, McGill University

ssltech

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2010, 11:28:57 AM »

Larrchild wrote

Wire the play buttons together, line them up on the grease-mark and hope.

In the UK, I've heard that called 'Irish SMPTE'. -Over here, I joke with a Polish colleague and call it 'Polish SMPTE'.
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Dominick

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »

Simplified drawing below shows a setup CBS used for dual 1" 8 track in 1968.
I came upon this when archiving multitrack masters of The Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo".
A start mark was placed on each tape and lined up on that tape's playback head.
Both tapes were pulled by the master machine capstan.
index.php/fa/15623/0/
Dominick Costanzo

mell

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »

drknob wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 15:52

I had the good fortune to spend 9 years at O'Henry watching some of the old masters of scoring at work. Their ability to create amazing recordings with minimal mic and track count, often live to two track, was jaw-dropping. One of them, in a 'watch this, kid' moment, without a rehearsal, crossed his arms for the first take of the day, not touching a single fader. I was dumbfounded.

maybe the old school grandpas of recording know better how to record then modern engineers, maybe its better if we be thrown back to the stone age (it would seem like that to modern engineers) to make better sounding recordings

Gio

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 07:18:29 PM »

mell wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 18:03

drknob wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 15:52

maybe the old school grandpas of recording know better how to record then modern engineers, maybe its better if we be thrown back to the stone age (it would seem like that to modern engineers) to make better sounding recordings

Maybe.

Maybe not.

But throwing out grandpa's techniques and know-how like yesterday's garbage is probably not the best idea..... It wouldn't kill people to learn a bit about how things were done before they learned to press "3" on the keypad.

Now where's my damned bifocals?  Twisted Evil
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

johnR

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 01:50:07 PM »

mell wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 23:03

Would that be the stone age when recording engineers typically had a good understanding of acoustics and electronics, and could fix or even design and build their own gear? God forbid!

Edvaard

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 05:09:39 PM »

Or when producers could read music.

kats

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 10:05:31 AM »

Nice ideas if you have a quality song and arrangement played by seasoned proffesionals. Other than that, your screwed no matter how many tracks you use or don't use. It's kind of like the elephant in the room here.

The engineer is at the mercy of the musicians. Last week I had the opportunity to work with such people and I'm pretty sure it was my best work to date. The artists were very kind handing out compliments about my work which I politely and humbly accepted. The thing is, I didn't really do much. I basically could have put microphones anywhere and it was going to sound good. Not to say any idiot could do it, but it was just basic bread and butter engineering. I have worked a lot harder for a lot less.  
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.