R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need professionnal ear  (Read 31396 times)

grantis

Re: Need professionnal ear
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Mon, 18 October 2010 18:01

grantis wrote on Mon, 18 October 2010 17:17

15 versions of a 3.5 minute song=52.5 minutes.

This is just dumb.

You can't multiply 3.5 times 15 and get the real amount of time anything takes.
Creating new tracks (or heaven forbid, threading new tape), making the mix changes, then transferring or exporting the mixes. Backing up, Documentation, Etc.
You must have been an EPA Estimator in a previous life.

Dumb?  I do it all the freakin time.

EDIT:
You're right though.  It does take an additional 10 seconds to mute the vocal VCA, go back to 0, and hit record.  

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

rankus

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2010, 12:01:55 AM »

I'm starting an album next month, (think Queens Of The Stone Age)

The band was quoted 40hrs per song by the Nickoback guy. I quoted approx 20 hrs/song.

My common "bash it out quick demos" are around 12hrs/song (track and mix. No production, no editing) .. Normally doing 2-3 EP's a month...  With good players these can sound like album cuts, but without extra production or ear candy. (Similar production value as the OP)

I'm also doing a full production pop punk album right now that has to be coming in at at LEAST 50hrs/song.

So I can say "it depends" or "it varies"

"Whats your budget?"..  Wink

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Josh McArdle

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2010, 07:48:49 AM »

It's got to be about the type of music you're recording. Acoustic singer/songwriter stuff is quick and easy with a little bit of work and a decent player. Metal/hard rock/pop etc...there's no way I could chuck out something I'm happy with in a day.

Pre-pro is so important in hard rock where there's so little space in the arrangements. Likewise with tracking - pitch and timing have to be bang on or it all falls apart.

I can totally relate to hours spent editing drums. Once you've checked phase, sorted timing, carefully selected samples, added samples, mixed in samples and de-cluttered...

Then it's comping and editing everything else before you're even ready to think about mixing. By this time my ears and head are too messed up to get good results from mixing.

I wish I could experience one of those sessions where a great band walks in, I stick up a few mics, hit record and get a general balance and it's off to mastering...but where's the fun in that?  Very Happy

rankus

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:13 PM »

Josh McArdle wrote on Tue, 19 October 2010 04:48

I can totally relate to hours spent editing drums. Once you've checked phase, sorted timing, carefully selected samples, added samples, mixed in samples and de-cluttered...

Not to mention comping from 3 takes (the best outta 6-7) and then gridding....

Then the same with bass, guitars, vocals ... Tuning yadda yadda

We can spend all day trying half a dozen guitars into 4-5 amps .. Trying different combos of amps...

Admittedly this is outside of the norm for me but that's what it takes to go up against the masters.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 14 queries.