R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How weak a Mac Laptop can run PT 7.3?  (Read 6915 times)

Paul Cavins

How weak a Mac Laptop can run PT 7.3?
« on: September 14, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »

Hello-

In indie rock fashion, I am recording my own band, having recorded the drums in a proper studio with an experienced engineer.

I use a G5 iMac at home, run PT 7.3 on it. I have hauled it to the practice space to record guitars, and no longer want to do so. I had kind of a scare that it was malfunctioning when I got back home, and its a bit of a pain in the arse to move.

Anyhoo, I don't really need a laptop in my life, but I would love to have one to tote to remote locations for recording.

I am talking about recording 1 or 2 tracks while playing back 15, with a couple or not any plugs (maybe the Native Instruments B4).

How cheap can I go when looking for a used Mac laptop? Anyone running their rigs on a humble old machine?

Thanks-

PC

grantis

Re: How weak a Mac Laptop can run PT 7.3?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »

They never put a G5 in a laptop, so you're stuck with a G4 if you want to go the 'super-cheap' route.  

A G4 will be able to handle what you describe....barely.

Drop the $400 and buy a used white macbook from the 2006-2007 time period. Intel Core Duo will be more than enough, and allow you some headroom instead of PRAYING that playback won't stop while recording.

1 GB RAM minimum.

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

KB_S1

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:10:50 AM »

I run a 2004 PowerBook G4.

1.5Ghz and 1.25gb Ram.

I have done a lot of recording on this laptop with a 002R.
Not sure on max track count but definitely ran 10 tracks in record a few times.

usually just use it for edits and 4 tracks of classical location stuff now.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Paul Cavins

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:33:55 AM »

You know, I've maybe had a revelation on this. I'm looking at Mac minis. I need to investigate this further.

A cheap flatscreen monitor and a mini might fit my guerilla recording needs. Not as nifty as a laptop, but could be much cheaper...

Thanks for the replies.

PC

NelsonL

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:51:45 AM »

I was going to say used G5 and just leave it parked at your space, but the mini is an interesting thought. Maybe try an find examples on the DUC of people pulling that off.

cgc

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:19:44 AM »

My home studio runs off a few year old Intel MacMini and 002R.  I use a USB external drive with it as well.  It rarely crashes or throws errors.

I used to have my studio on a 1Ghz G4 laptop and it would run the full 32 tracks no problem with several plugins including Altiverb going.  An external Firewire drive was essential.

jzombie

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »

KB_S1 wrote on Wed, 15 September 2010 06:10

I run a 2004 PowerBook G4.

1.5Ghz and 1.25gb Ram.

I have done a lot of recording on this laptop with a 002R.
Not sure on max track count but definitely ran 10 tracks in record a few times.

usually just use it for edits and 4 tracks of classical location stuff now.

similar rig for me, I think mine is a 1.68 with 1.5gb, it's so old I can't remember.  I am still on PT 6.4 (and OS 10.3) with an MBox though. Recently did overdubs for and mixed my band's latest, track counts up to the max (32), not too many plugs but at least 3-4 Blockfish comps, 1 reverb, probably 8-10 PT EQIII.  On dense mixes I could max out the rig, but never in a way that made it impossible to work around.

Never recorded more than 1 track at a time, but I think you'd be able to do what you're trying to with a similar computer.

Paul Cavins

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:48:33 PM »

I did get a G4 Mac Mini and a cheap flat screen monitor.

I've got to put in a plug for Carbon Copy Cloner.  The Mini I got had Leopard on it, I wanted Tiger 10.4.11, like on my G5 iMac. The machine wouldn't let me downgrade from an OS on disc, so after some web research I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner.

I got the Mini going in Target Mode, it becoming a drive on my iMac desktop. I nuked the Mini drive and used CCC to clone my iMac drive to the Mini.

Started up the Mini and damn damn damn it worked like a charm. Only one tiny hitch, my having to locate the library of samples for the Native Instruments B4 plug.

Cloning is such a great way to go. No installs, no getting registration codes, no plug install, just a working clone of my other computer. Hooked up the 002r and got down to business.

PC

KB_S1

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:54:27 AM »

Glad that worked.

Surprised it did. I would have thought with it being a completely different hardware set that it wouldn't have booted.

Have you tried pushing the mini on recording yet?
I have one here and never thought to try it.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Paul Cavins

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »

I've not really pushed the Mini. Once I ran a session on it and recorded two tracks at once while playing everything back, I tore it down and boxed it up for when I take it to the practice space.

All I really plan to do with it is record one or two tracks at a time.

Wouldn't it be funny if it choked on me while recording for real?  I shouldn't jinx myself--

PC
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.