R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha Power Amps?  (Read 2637 times)

ajcamlet

Yamaha Power Amps?
« on: August 19, 2004, 12:36:06 PM »

I know Fletcher is a fan of the old yamaha console PM1000...I have heard decent things about their older power amps like the P2200 (the one with the VU meters)...can anyone weigh in on build and sound quality of these?

thanks
ajc

hasbeen

Re: Yamaha Power Amps?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 11:52:16 PM »

I would like to be reminded of the ones that go well with the NS10's.....anyone?

I am using an old Crown 300 for mine but have been a'hankerin to use a Yammy?????
Who is John Galt

Everglass

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 03:11:37 AM »

It's the Yamaha P-3200.  Yamaha have recently replaced that model however you may still be able to get the 3200.  

I bought one about 6 months ago because it had been sitting on the floor of my local music shop for a little while and they wanted to move it for the "new" model.

Bob Clearmountain also uses the P-3200 for his NS10's.  They do sound very nice together and the P3200 is dirt cheap - added bonus.
James Everglass

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 09:49:53 AM »

I've always found Yammy amps to be quite "slow". At the tv station I used to work at, we had Tannoy passives (system 800? Can't remember...hated them) being driven by an old P2100...and the combo kinda worked...tamed the fatigue factor somewhat. Out of interest, I hooked up my Chevin Research amp to see if the Tannoys would work better with a blindingly fast amp. Result: Completely unlistenable. Hard. Sharp. Earbleedingly brutal. Made JBLs seem DULL.

But...

The old Yammy's were reliable, built like tanks, and pretty good bang for the buck...and in 10 years at that joint they never ever broke down.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.