R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you hook up FX pedals as outboard fx?  (Read 4988 times)

jetbase

• R/E/P Forums
How do you hook up FX pedals as outboard fx?
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:02:16 pm »

Using a console, what's the best way to connect guitar fx pedals to use as outboard fx in a mix, achieving the best s/n ratio & tone? I would think possibly you could simply connect an aux send directly to the pedal & keep the level low, fine tuning the level with the pedal's input level (if it has one). Or maybe, like reamping a guitar, use a passive DI in reverse (or a reamp box - but I don't have one). For returns I guess just DI into mic pre into fx returns or into mic input on a channel. Is there a better or simpler way?

Thanks,
Glenn
Glenn Santry
HeartBeat Studio
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

MagnetoSound

• R/E/P Forums
Re: How do you hook up FX pedals as outboard fx?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39:41 pm »

That is exactly the way I would do it, although I wouldn't bother with the reverse DI in front of the pedal.
Dan Sansom
Magneto Sound
UK

0dbfs

• Marketplace
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:31:31 pm »

I've used both methods and even if I "felt better" withe the re-amp/reverse-DI method, it's still an fx pedal and acomplished the desired result (it fucked up the $ignal).

Best,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

jetbase

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:35:07 pm »

Thanks guys!
Glenn Santry
HeartBeat Studio

jonoaustin

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:27:26 am »

these things are fantastic:  http://littlelabs.com/pcp.html

Actually, all his stuff is fantastic.  You can occasionally find PCP's used...

jetbase

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:15:33 pm »

Thanks Jono, it likes like a pretty handy little unit. Nice to know what's out there.
Glenn Santry
HeartBeat Studio

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:49:48 am »

Radial's Pro RMP is $99, licensed from John Cuniberti, and is great for exactly this. I use it running an out from my 003 into this into a pedalboard when I want to reamp, but you could easily use this and a Radial JDI at the other end. Given that you're starting with a line-level signal, it's really what FX units you have - good ones will do well with a range of signals; cheaper ones will yield "interesting" results.
My mother and the forum moderators always posted that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it.

drknob

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 09:58:04 am »

Lots of good advice here.
Remember - with guitars, it's not that the level is low. The problem is the source impedance is high, usually in the 100k+ area. When you plug your guitar into a device, the source impedance of the guitar and the input impedance of the device you've plugged into create a voltage divider. This makes it impossible to drive anything but a high impedance device without changing the sound and level of the guitar itself. Think of a direct box as an impedance converter. This is why a passive direct box, in order to lower source impedance must also lower the signal level. An active DI does not have this problem. Ohm's Law strikes again!
Nerd alert.  :o
Harold Kilianski
CIRMMT, McGill University

nancy87

• Real Full Name: Sapna Singhal
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 04:20:18 am »

You're a devoted performing artist who's assembled a fortunate live apparatus throughout the years, and now you're turning into a home-recording nonconformist. You have understanding, great ears and a decent arrangement. You've never truly contemplated putting resources into arcane, costly rack gear, yet that is fine. Your interface is murmuring along pleasantly; your mic accumulation is nice and with regards to blending, your modules thump it out of the recreation center. But when they don't. https://investinnps.com
Presently something you followed some time back sounds all around level after relistening, and you're trapped. Nothing you do sounds great, and every one of those modules appear to ridicule you with their straightforward, one-size-fits-all pervasiveness, which albeit unquestionably an uprightness on occasion, can be all the more an inventive revile than a gift.
The arrangement? Your pedalboard.
Equipped with the great old stompboxes that you effectively claim and only a smidgen of information about sign levels, which we'll cover in the following area you'll never pine for a costly, space-race-period detachable box to fix your blends again. Welcome to the great universe of reamping with pedals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up