R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Player Recommendations  (Read 8788 times)

djwaudio

Re: CD Player Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 11:15:13 PM »

Well spotted... It shouldn't be "illegal", as it seems Wadia has iPod to spdif going with this product.

http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/170i/
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

SafeandSound

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 09:09:14 AM »

I have a trusty Sony CD player for QC purposes.
UK's No.1 Online Mastering studio, free previews :

http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk/
online mastering

djwaudio

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »

Another question about those with pro CD players... is anyone using word-clock in to clock the player?
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

Christopher Wilson

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Sat, 09 October 2010 16:17

Another question about those with pro CD players... is anyone using word-clock in to clock the player?

Though it's not the greatest player out there, I bought a Fostex CR-500 (I think that's it) just because it has an AES/EBU I/O and I can use my own clock and converters.  The interface is a little annoying (slow) to use, but it works all right.
Christopher Wilson

TotalSonic

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 08:06:29 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Sat, 09 October 2010 17:17

Nope - I just have my Lavry Blue DAC set to accept the input as the clock.  Works just fine with my Denon.  

Previously at Europadisk we used both an HHB-CDR-850 and a Tascam CD-RW-2000 as they both had AES i/o and could slave to word clock  - which since it was the start of a digital chain that included the Neve DTC, TC Finalizer+ and TC M2000 was necessary as otherwise pronounced regular clicks would occur (due to the limitations of the Neve's clocking more than anything else).

fwiw - regarding these two (if you want to include them as options for your consideration) - at Europadisk they both had similar hours on them but the HHB died after a few years of use while the Tascam kept ticking along.

btw - going back a little in this thread I do completely agree with Jerry's criticism of the Denon's fast forward/rewind as being very clumsy (it takes a good bit of stuttering before it kicks in) - so maybe his suggestion of the Marantz instead makes sense as he's tried both.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Rick O'neil

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 09:41:21 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Wed, 06 October 2010 02:43

Hey Rick,

Stirred my curiosity about the Sony CDP-D500, looks like a great machine, I can see many advantages:

1. Balanced Analog Outputs
2. AES Output
3. Reads "Index" Marks
4. Rugged Build
5. Wired Remote

More listed here:

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=1763 5

Can they still be serviced?

How are the FF/RW functions?

Very tempting, can be found on eB*y for a few hundred.

On the other hand, it's still just a CD player, modern computers and DAWs in many ways render most of those features "moot".

But it still looks pretty sexy.

Cheers, JT

can they be serviced ..? well i presume so but i had two from new and we have thrashed them and they are still perfect i bought the third because it was so cheap and its still perfect too  , also they do pitch change , fast slow and super slow rewind, jog  loop etc etc  cd text and they have several digital outs so you can chuck a meter on them as well as send the digital out to a converter  and i am pretty sure it has a bnc clock in and out  but i dont use them

we check everything every day with them , i will be sad to see them eventually break down maybe CD with go extinct first ?
that said i would find it hard to believe any one of these on ebay would have had the work  put through them then ours have so i reckon at the price they are they are well worth the punt if your in the market
oh yeah they sound great too !  
Rick
turtlerockmastering.com
"i think we went to different schools together"

Rick O'neil

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Wed, 06 October 2010 05:08

Thanks, lots of machines I am considering!

I foresee a day when someone walks in the the door with their album mixes on an iPod...
Anyone have any experience with this machine?

http://www.tascam.com/product/cd-200i

i get guys coming in with ipods a lot actually
"err is it stored on anything else "
"oh yes my usb stick"
- ok gimme that
Rick
turtlerockmastering.com
"i think we went to different schools together"

TotalSonic

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 23:15

Well spotted... It shouldn't be "illegal", as it seems Wadia has iPod to spdif going with this product.

http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/170i/

I get folks wanting to play ref tracks off their iPod over my B&W's a good bit - and the Wadia definitely looks like the best solution for this - but at around $380 street price this is just a bit more than I want to pay.  So for now I just suffer with sending out from an 1/8" adapter into a balancing box and then to my controller.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 11:44:09 PM »

Rick O'neil wrote on Sat, 09 October 2010 20:41

Jerry Tubb wrote on Wed, 06 October 2010 02:43

Hey Rick,

Stirred my curiosity about the Sony CDP-D500, looks like a great machine, I can see many advantages:

1. Balanced Analog Outputs
2. AES Output
3. Reads "Index" Marks
4. Rugged Build
5. Wired Remote

More listed here:

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=1763 5

Can they still be serviced?

How are the FF/RW functions?

Very tempting, can be found on eB*y for a few hundred.

On the other hand, it's still just a CD player, modern computers and DAWs in many ways render most of those features "moot".

But it still looks pretty sexy.

Cheers, JT

can they be serviced ..? well i presume so but i had two from new and we have thrashed them and they are still perfect i bought the third because it was so cheap and its still perfect too  , also they do pitch change , fast slow and super slow rewind, jog  loop etc etc  cd text and they have several digital outs so you can chuck a meter on them as well as send the digital out to a converter  and i am pretty sure it has a bnc clock in and out  but i dont use them

we check everything every day with them , i will be sad to see them eventually break down maybe CD with go extinct first ?
that said i would find it hard to believe any one of these on ebay would have had the work  put through them then ours have so i reckon at the price they are they are well worth the punt if your in the market
oh yeah they sound great too !  

Thanks for the info Rick, I'll put one of these babies on my list.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.