R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RADAR users?  (Read 7633 times)

Josh McArdle

RADAR users?
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »

Just wondered if anyone here has used RADAR before? We've got it in all of the tracking studios here at LIPA and when I first started using it I pretty much hated it. When you're so used to using a DAW for tracking and editing, going to something like RADAR is a massive headache.

Anyway I had to eat my words when we A/B'd the same mix in PT HD. The quality of the converters in RADAR is absolutely unbelievable. The mix we demo'd sounded cleaner and clearer, while the same thing in PT sounded cloudier and a little dull in comparison.

Integrating the two systems is pretty simple too. We've been using Pro Tools to set up cue mixes and then tracking into RADAR. You can save everything as BWAVs so importing into PT for mixing is easy and you get the added benefit of RADARs AD conversion.

So I just wondered if there are many RADAR users out there and what your opinions are? It's really surprised me how much difference there is in fidelity, but working totally in RADAR you sacrifice a LOT of the speed of workflow and some of the editing power you get with a DAW.

So this is essentially a pointless ramble, but I'm stunned by it is all! Surprised

Bill_Urick

Re: RADAR users?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:25:13 PM »

Yes.
I like the converters and the clock.
Never use the editing features, always dump into PT.

When you mix in PT is it ITB?
What console do you use when mixing from RADAR?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Nobtwiddler

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »

I have the completely opposite experience.
I've owned 5 Radar systems, still own two at the moment.

For me, working on the Radar is much quicker then any DAW.
And sonically it's head & shoulders above the rest of the pack.

Interfacing with any DAW is simple, been locking up machines, and using the Radar's convertors as the in / out when I have to use a DAW..

Simple operation, fabulous tech support, & it sounds great!
What more could you ask for!

Podgorny

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »

Nobtwiddler wrote on Wed, 09 December 2009 20:45

Simultaneous inputs and outputs when connecting digitally?

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

craig boychuk

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 07:48:57 PM »

Used it a bunch. Sounds awesome.

Definitely not the same sort of editing as PT or whathaveyou, but I was surprised at how easy & quick it was to do most things once I had it under my fingers.

Mostly it sounds awesome.

-craig-
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

Josh McArdle

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Wed, 09 December 2009 19:25

Yes.
I like the converters and the clock.
Never use the editing features, always dump into PT.

When you mix in PT is it ITB?
What console do you use when mixing from RADAR?

A mixture of outboard and plug-ins when mixing in PT, depends what I'm doing, but most of the time I'll use RADAR when using outboard and then dump into PT. I'm studying at LIPA and at the moment we get the choice of two Audient ASP8024s or an Icon. Next year we can also use an SSL AWS 900 and an SSL Duality.

I definitely think that once I get used to this thing I'll be just as quick with it as with PT. There's a button for everything!

For those who like their pictures, this is studio 3 at LIPA (taken from the Audient website). http://www.audient.com/audient/files/products/default_images /12_Audient_Flyover_R-L.jpg

Blackie Pawless

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 12:48:36 PM »

I think I was the last guy in Nashville that insisted on recording on 2"tape. I avoided ProTools like the plague. I was mocked and ridiculed by my friends/peers and hated by folks at labels for it but I didn't care.In my mind I was fighting the good fight but I was just swinging at windmills cause nobody else cared.  Finally in 2001 I had to make a jump to something digital so I went with RADAR. Bought 2 of them and used them non stop for 6 years and still have them. Finally had go PTools in 2007 cause so much work was coming in to mix and the transfers were killing me. Can't compare them apples to apples cause one has to have a console and one can stay ITB.  You can't get the in depth editing of course but basic cut and paste is easy. I could fly parts as quick as anybody that was using PTools. Still using the converters instead of 192/96s a lot of the time and still occasionally track to it.  In short,  I love RADAR. I think of it as the Betamax of digital multitracks.
Scott Baggett

kats

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »

RADAR user here, (PT & 2" as well). Over time I have come to agree with something that Terry Manning pointed out awhile back. You might as well stick with tape if you don't need the deep editing capability of PT. In my experience the trade between the sound of tape for RADAR is not worth it. It *can* be worth it for PT.

Of course many would disagree - Daniel Lanois for one!

But my experience has been that convincing artists to forgo PT for RADAR is just as hard and getting them to go with tape. I have found that if the client doesn't have a hard on for PT, I can basically use whatever I prefer.

Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Spindrift

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 05:41:29 PM »

RADAR user here......love it immensely vs. farting around with a DAW and mouse.  I get to use my ears to hear music vs. my eyes to see waveforms.  Editing is easy once you get the basics down.

Love the sound and it's about as close as you'll come to 2" in a digital format.

The kind of music you're working on will make a big difference in the choice of tool. For me: I prefer to record music performed by good musicians and not "perform surgery" to get a track to sound perfect & sterile in a DAW.

Keith

Front End Audio

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »

I have used the Radar in the past and I always enjoyed the simplicity and sound quality. I was using a SSL 4000 G series console and plenty of quality mic's when we went to track we A/B compared the Radar to a ProTools HD setup with Apogee converters and I didn’t notice a massive difference but that was when I was just cutting my teeth in the recording industry. On a similar note has anybody used the AMS Neve Audiofile system? It is a very intuitive system and it sounds great even at 16 bit!

Cheers,
Nicholas  
www.FrontEndAudio.com
Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer
Tuesday Testers: Hear The Gear
Product Videos: See The Gear
FEA eNewsletter: Exclusive Deals

mixwell

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Wed, 09 December 2009 21:55

Nobtwiddler wrote on Wed, 09 December 2009 20:45

Simultaneous inputs and outputs when connecting digitally?

I have set up our RADAR V for 12 Channels of AD and 12 Channels of DA thru AES I/O with our DAW.

Its a nice little sacrifice.

jchristopherhughes

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »

love RADAR.

i have the older RADAR 2 units.  i never work above 48k...so they work great for me...and i just like the CLASSIC converters the best.  not sure why...i've used the nyquist converters many times...but just prefer the sound of the stock CLASSIC converters at 48k over pretty much anything i have heard.

i've used pretty much every converter out there...and there is just SOMETHING about the RADARS that sound right to me.  i love tape too...but noone has the $$ for that these days.  everyonce in awhile i'll cut basics to tape...and go right over to RADAR for dubs.

depending on the gig...i either work totally in RADAR..just like a tape machine....monitoring on my pm2k desk....OR...i can use RADAR as front end to my old pt mix rig or cubase via AES into my computer.

i really like mixing from radar back to 2 tracks....(as long as i don't have more than 22 tracks of source....easy to punch in mixes...and mix in sections sans automation...just like the old days.

other times, i'm mixing in the box...using RADAR as the d-a to monitor.

works great.

90% of my production work is with full bands....usually tracking live together for the basics.  RADAR just makes that so much more enjoyable.  no screen to look at.  just send in some signal...get good levels....listen back through desk...press record...and go.

i also revel in being able to just REWIND and FAST FORWARD rather than clicking on a screen.  sometimes those extra seconds after a take give great perspective.  listening back without WATCHING the waveforms (although...you certainly could do that with RADAR) is such a more enjoyable experience.

my rigs are 10 years old...they are running everyday....and just never break down or crash.  super solid.  sounds amazing.  no-brainer for those of us that learned to make records before the age of mousing.

best,

jchristopherhughes

jchristopherhughes

tekis

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »

RADAR LOVE here!  Been using it for 13 years.  Never needed an external clock or convertor.  Work flow is transparent, remote is a work of art and a it's real interface as opposed to a computer keyboard! No need to look at a screen all the time too! I've never questioned its sonics.  Did one project at 88.2 everything else at 44.1.  Love it!!

drumsound

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »

I went with a RADAR as it was most similar to using a tape machine.  I don't care to micro edit or record 87 guitar parts and 43 lead vocals.  Computers drive me crazy, they are so counterintuitive.  Importing large files is a bit of a pain in the balls, I learned trying to import a live show, but once they were in there, it was a piece of cake to mix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.