R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Alan Moulder Q & A / Sept-Oct 2010  (Read 92817 times)

bob ebeling

Re: Someone drag Reinhold Mack from Musicland Studios onto PSW
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »

Alan Moulders E-mail I just received:

"Hi Bob,

I have a bit of time tomorrow and will reply to these then if that's ok. Please feel free to give me a nudge if I don't get back within a few days as it will have slipped my mind! Funny that number 2 question was MBV funnily enough Kevin dropped by the studio today and I haven't seen him in ages.

Cheers.

Alan."

RSettee, I will add those specifics on to Alan's asignment.  Funny enough, Terry is back today and has basically suggested the method we are using right now.  Wonder should we change the title of the thread now?

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

compasspnt

Alan Moulder Q & A - Oct 2010
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »

Here it is guys.

Welcome Alan!

BTW, this thread will be carefully policed, and only serious and substantive questions (and answers and statements) will be allowed to remain!

Ryan Slowey

Re: Alan Moulder Q & A / Sept-Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »

Wow. This is really great.

I'm going to go home and listen to The Downward Spiral and try to come up with some specific questions.

That album is most definitely one of the top 5 most influential albums for me (musically and sonically).
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Todd Loomis

• Real Full Name: Todd Loomis
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 07:31:51 PM »

Wow...  very cool!  I love so much of the stuff that he has worked on.

I'm really curious about his thoughts on EQ across the master buss...  which ones he likes to use, and what settings, and most importantly, why?

Also, I'd love to know more about his use of buss compression...  if he likes to use it...  how much...  settings, etc.

bob ebeling

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 08:01:32 PM »

Hi Todd and all.  No word today from Alan.  But I did work with him in 2004 and we talked gear quite alot.

I have had the pleasure of working with Alan, Flood, Al Sutton (Kid Rock's dude), Paul Logus (google him, you won't believe how much he's mixed), and many other top mixers.

Parallel compression is pretty much yes, alot, on everything, with most every mixer.

Alan's fave in 2004 on drum sub (all drums submixed through 2 channels) was Vac Rac stuff.  The origional, hard to find, highly sought after EQ's.  He added a nice little boost of somewhere around 150 to 220, somewhere in there.  I actually reacted to his darkening of my drums by pulling up a plug in eq and adding like .4 db of 10k back in.  This was during my turn at the protools rig, we were trading off now and then.  The first thing Alan noticed when he resumed his shift was that the drums didn't sound the way he had left them.  He quickly pulled up the plug-in (McDSP, which I find aggressive for a plug) and turned and asked "Who put this plug in on the drums?" (because Flood was taking turns too).  I said I did and explained why.  He seemed perplexed and bypassed and unbypassed it several times.  He left it in, but I couldn't tell if he hated it or not.  

But I think Alan is not afraid to leave things dark, or better said, to not add highend to things.  He definitely uses compression, super small amounts from very expensive boxes.  He definitely uses alot of stereo eq's, little tiny dashes from expensive boxes.

This is 'High End Mixer' normality.  You have learned to not overcompress and usually all of your vu's are doing little taps.  A four band Massive Passive might just have one band boosting a little low mid, because that's where the box shines.  You'll see Neve 32264's.  Blue stripe 1176's.  Expensive stuff and none of it responsible for heavy lifting, but all of it adding up to a great sound.  

When Alan got a mix where he dug it, it was practically all on 12 faders.  6 Stereo pairs.  All the guitars on one, bass on one, drums, back vox, keys, lead vox.  You could make heavy decisions with a fraction of a fader.  He liked to run a few different ones, no buss comp, one with...then lets all run out to the car and see what we think, which one is better.

This is another H.E.M. normality, use boom boxes, use lots of stereos to check stuff on, multiple monitors.

I'm going to go gently nudge Alan for everyone now.  Please remember my request to make your questions easy to answer, I know we'll get some answers, but the easier for him the more likely and quickly he might keep this going.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Gabriel F

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »

I love Moulder´s work. I like that he seems to adapt to the bands and not the other way around.

Why do you believe bands choose to work with you?. What do you think its that makes you different from other enginners and producers?
I believe one thing you do great its going for a dark, atmospheric vibe but never losing a pop-rock edge, do you think thats true?.

Can you tell us something about the Them Crooked Vultures album? I love the roomy but punchy sound you got. Is it all natural reverb? Any use of delay on room mics? Compressed and or saturated room mics on other instruments besides drums?

Thanks.

Pd: Bob, i like that he doesnt abuse of the hi end. His mixes never were you off even at loud volumes. That might be one of the reasons why his mixes sounds pretty organic even on bands like NIN o My Bloody Valentine.
Does he likes to monitor loud?

Daniel Farris

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 08:14:17 PM »

Hi Alan. I wonder if you might describe your role on My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" record. Among musicians, there are a lot of myths and stories floating around about the production of that record. It would be fantastic to hear a little about it from someone with first hand knowledge.

Thanks.
DF

Todd Loomis

• Real Full Name: Todd Loomis
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 08:37:08 PM »

A couple more too...

I'd love to hear about your work with Smashing Pumpkins - the bass & drums in 1979 are awesome...  or "Head on" by The Jesus & Mary Chain...  -  or obviously the huge NIN stuff - "The Wretched" or "Eraser", etc.  How do you like to treat bass & drums in general?

Also...  I love the atmospheres in your mixes...  "a warm place" by NIN is one of my favorite pieces ever...  did you work on that one by chance?  How do you like to go about creating the ambience / verb / echo thing in your mixes?  For example, the synths & the main plucked melody on "a warm place"...

Did you work on "Horror Head" by Curve (maybe it was Flood on that one)?  The bass and vocals are incredible on that track.  What kinds of things did you do to get them sounding so amazing?

Thanks so much for doing this.  I love your work!

bob ebeling

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 08:48:32 PM »

Alrighty.  Submitted those three above this post.  That's five rather extensive questions and no responses yet, so I'm just keeping expections in line.

We must have been monitoring around 90-95db because I didn't feel like I had to 'squint' and I was parked on a couch off to the side of the room.  But we did do long days and I didn't feel ear fatigue at all.  Maybe it was the jet lag.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

KB_S1

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 06:28:10 AM »

I would be interested to hear a little about Assault & Battery 2.

What was the reason for the Miloco tie in?
Could the studio have been opened independently?

Is there any concern that at some point in the near future that diminishing budgets will make it impossible to satisfy your demands for quality in the projects you work on?

How many booking clients are making full use of the large live space in the studio?
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

bob ebeling

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 07:38:31 AM »

Cool keep firing away.  I have an idea.  I will call up Alan and interview him with all of your questions and then just post transcribe the interview or post an audio file of the interview.  This is probably the solution because I don't anticipate Alan getting the detail we all would like thru e-mails.

In the meantime, here is a link to an interview I found with Mix magazine this morning:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_alan_moulder_trident/
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

mattrussell

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »

thanks bob and alan for making this happen.  huge fan.  i love this place.
matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

Seb Riou

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 01:40:31 PM »

OK here's mine

Does Alan feel He's hired first for his artistic vision or engineering/mixing skills ? Or maybe for having the gift of letting the music freely flow (what I humbly think is my best hability as a "music producer") ?

Pretty interested in Assault and Battery too .. How is it going?

Meriphew

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »

Alan has worked on a lot of records that I adore. I didn't realise that he did the new Blonde Redhead release. I've heard a few clips from it (it sounds awesome), and need to pick up a copy asap.

bob ebeling

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »

Hi,
My role on Loveless was engineer. I think I have said this before but Kevin had been to numerous studios before I worked with him. Creation, their label, had spent a lot of money at the time on re shaping their distribution deal or something similar and were a little strapped for cash so there wasn't enough cash for Kevin to set up his own studio as he wanted resulting in them going to budget studios. Kevin had had a few problems at some of these studios where the engineer didn't value his opinion on gear he thought wasn't working properly so he lost their trust and moved on. I came in and had no tie to the studio and quickly realised that if he thought something was wrong he was 90% of the time right. So if he had a problem I would tell him to leave the room and I would check it out, work out the problem and either have have it fixed or work out a way round it. I was as infatuated as him at the about studio faults so managed to acquire his trust which then afforded me able to say to him on very rare occasion that everything was actually ok and he would believe me and we would move on. So to sum up, my job was pretty support!

Best.

Alan.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.