R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clock is everything.  (Read 21570 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Clock is everything.
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2010, 12:22:15 AM »

Dan, welcome back.

I assume you're talking about the Antelope Atomic Clock?  That's a completely different story.  If I had my druthers, and an unlimited budget, I'd get Prism 8XRs and the Atomic Clock.  But $40,000 for 24 channels of ADA and a clock is not in my reality.  

I'm more concerned if a sound is musical, and sits in the track, right.  If I had clients willing to pay for tape, I'd prefer to use my Studer.  I did some drum sessions last month for two really huge artists, for songs that will be singles.  The producer asked for 44.1.  

If I could get clients that cared about sound the way you do, and if they were willing to pay for that difference, then I'd get a rig like that.  In the meantime, my money goes into the front end, where I get compelling sounds that perhaps would have sounded better in analogue, or with Prisms, but they still sound great.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Nicky D

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2010, 01:01:43 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 11 October 2010 23:22

Dan, welcome back.

I assume you're talking about the Antelope Atomic Clock?  That's a completely different story.  If I had my druthers, and an unlimited budget, I'd get Prism 8XRs and the Atomic Clock.  But $40,000 for 24 channels of ADA and a clock is not in my reality.  

I'm more concerned if a sound is musical, and sits in the track, right.  If I had clients willing to pay for tape, I'd prefer to use my Studer.  I did some drum sessions last month for two really huge artists, for songs that will be singles.  The producer asked for 44.1.  

If I could get clients that cared about sound the way you do, and if they were willing to pay for that difference, then I'd get a rig like that.  In the meantime, my money goes into the front end, where I get compelling sounds that perhaps would have sounded better in analogue, or with Prisms, but they still sound great.

He didn't say it was the Antelope, I've experienced a Big Ben ($1000) making a huge difference...  so because the producer asked for 44.1. did you throw your hands up and mic the whole kit with 57's and run them through a Mackie console?...no you didn't....but I'm sure at some point you could and get some cool sounds too...is that your point?  that you don't need a good clock....neither do I...but i want my rig firing the way I like it and clock is important to that...and what is sooo expensive about $40000 for 24 really great chanels?  weren't tape decks that expensive at one time....and how about the price of a great console...you've just got a bug bear about this for some reason...btw I don't have 40k worth of gear...maybe 8...but I would  drop 40k in a second if it made a big difference to me...and I had it...

J.J. Blair

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2010, 01:15:48 AM »

In another thread, he mentioned the Antelope, which is why I said that.

If my studio's income would support the $40k investment, then I would buy it.  But, as I said, that's not the reality these days.  When I dropped $25k on my Studer 827, back in the day, it was workable.  There were these things called budgets.  Now, it's all low budgets.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Larrchild

« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2010, 01:29:14 AM »

They should build an A-D next to it so it doesn't have to travel through jitter-inducing tx and rx chips and cable.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

mgod

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2010, 03:28:32 AM »

When I was 21 I went nuts trying to gather the funds to have an Alembic bass built to my specs. Gave up college money for it. I look at it sitting in my living room now and think, "It was utter madness", like a fever that overcame me. In those days, rock stars had Alembics: Casady, Lesh, Entwistle, McVie, Lake; and then me, still in college. Recently I came across a quote from Piatigorsky: "For the sound, one would sell father and mother." And I think: "Well, if its madness, at least its madness in good company."

When I had a DeParavacini 1" 2-track built almost 20 years ago, I hoped to be able to make the money back, but that was incidental. In the end, Triage, TNMC, a Michael Jackson single, the last couple years some Lucinda Williams albums, so it did pay off. But I was in pursuit of something, sometimes I still am. Budgets be damned. The only way to really learn is to do, to try stuff. It was what I was doing with my life at the time.

In the meantime, still waiting for the Larrchild clock, with its genius concept.

And waiting...

And waiting...
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

J.J. Blair

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2010, 11:31:53 AM »

mgod wrote on Tue, 12 October 2010 00:28

Casady, Lesh, Entwistle, McVie, Lake

Don't forget Stanley Clarke and JPJ!

Yeah, I dunno.  My madness goes into my mic collection and instrument collection.  That's where I feel the biggest difference in sounds.  

I remember when the Apogee 8000 came out.  I A/B'd it against the 888, and I was pissed, because the difference was so clear that I had to buy an 8000.  

Fuck. Now I'm going to have to save up for an Antelope.
studio info

bob ebeling

« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2010, 02:46:14 PM »

JJ, have you tried the Burl AD/DA's yet?  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

J.J. Blair

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »

No.  But I'm not changing converters.  I may or may not get an Atomic Clock.  But personally, I'd rather pay down my line of credit right now.  That's more important to me.  
studio info

bob ebeling

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »

If you're trying to pay down debt, DO NOT listen to the Burls.

I just e-mailed Rich today because he hinted at an 8 channel AD/DA unit back when I testdrove them.  He said it will be shown but not for sale at AES.

They put my Mytek 8x192 down pretty hard.  I really dig the Mytek and am still using it (Microphone addiction fierce) but as soon as I heard the Burl, I realized the tape machine is over for me, soon.

This was one of those big step differences...bigger than the 8000 to 888 thing in a more sweeping 'finally!' way.

I have no alternate motives here.  Rich wouldn't budge.  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Fletcher

« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2010, 07:43:29 AM »

Bob - I don't know how to break this to you... but if you try the iZ "ADA" system you'll never go back... same thing with the JCF "Latte" [which is kinda like a Burl on anabolic steroids!!].

If you have any notion of getting a new car at any time in the near future do not audition any of these units... they will make you forget Mytek quicker than you forgot this morning's breakfast.

@ JJ -- the Atomic clock is absolutely sick!!  If you're serious about paying down your line of credit, that too should not be auditioned... hear it and you'll need to have it [and miss it like a bastard when its not around - that was my experience - YMMV].

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

bob ebeling

« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2010, 08:59:45 AM »

I'm sure I would appreciate, probably worship both of those Fletcher.  Have you some impressions of the Burl?

The new car was bought and paid in full this Summer, so there are possibilities!  

I can imagine the Latte would be in the same neighborhood as the Burl.  IZ-- I didn't even know of their AD/DA.

When I testdrove the Burls for a few weeks they blew my mind.  It's actually hard for me to imagine something gunning down the Burls, because I actually had that psychotropic experience of wanting to turn back to look at the tape machine.  Especially the DAC.  It made me feel happy in the first 5 seconds, warm and fuzzy even.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Phil Mayor

« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »

Wait till you hear the Quantum-Logic Clock!

bob ebeling

« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »

I'm gonna clock you Phil!   Smile
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Fletcher

« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »

The Burl is a great unit and absolutely nothing to sneeze at in any way... but once you experience a Latte - there are very few things that are that cool that can be experienced while fully dressed.

The iZ "ADA" is a "stand alone" RADAR that can talk Pro-Tools [as well as the other standard digital information transfer formats].  Again - the "next level"... and while the clock in the iZ stuff is one of the best, even that can be taken to a new level of clarity and detail with the "Atomic Clock" and the Grimm

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.