R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the J's advise please  (Read 3793 times)

trexrox

Re: J's advise please
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 11:03:02 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 19 August 2004 10:56

pergatory wrote:
Quote:

subjecting yourself to a ridiculous amount of schmoozing just to pay rent.....

YES....because that is our job.....the phone doesn't just ring unless you are andy wallace.....and he spent years making his phone ring.

i spend more time talking about recording then i spend recording.......i've bought more people beers and never seen business from them then i care to remember.  this is what i do, it is simply part of running a business.

There's a lot of honesty and good advice going on here...

So, anyone care to reveal their secrets on "schmoozing"?  This is one of things I find to be the most difficult about my job as a studio owner.

JPRisus

Re: J's advise please
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 01:37:33 AM »

J. made a great point in that you'll find pretty much the same thing wherever you go. I live in an area loaded with studios, everything from multi-million-dollar to basement DAWs, and you'd be amazed at how small the industry really is... everyone knows each other, and rather than fighting it, i've found it better to just do my thing and let the results speak for themselves.  

There's a pretty large studio nearby that is very well known and is a first-call place for just about every band in the rock/punk/hardcore/emo/bullshit genre...  I used to feel intimidated, like they were the bad guy that i had to beat or something. Since then, i've grown a bit, gotten to know the fine gentlemen at said establishment, and have realized my original feelings were childish and based on insecurity. That studio has raised the bar overall in this area and has helped bands realize the difference between quality and crap, which in turn has helped me. Rather than attempt to compete, i've carved my own little niche, and people come to me because they want to work with me and for no other reason at all.

Fibes made a good point, regardless of what anyone else thinks. You can't get better without doing. We don't know you or your work, but the best chance at surviving anywhere is by finding your own thing, sticking with it dilligently, and letting it known throughout your area that this is who you are and what you do. It's really the only way IMHO.

A wise man once told me, when you have a destination in mind, sometimes it's the twists and turns throughout the journey that make life so worth it. Sometimes that's more fun than even reaching the goal.
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com
Purevolume.com/risusproductions
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.