R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping container studio (gulp)  (Read 14059 times)

Demus

Shipping container studio (gulp)
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:49:10 PM »

Esteemed Gentleman

Hello

Please can you advise me on my situation. . . .

I have recently moved my studio to a shipping container right on the river Thames here in London.

Don't laugh.

It has been double lined with plaster board and filled with some form of builders caulk between the layers. So there is an amount of protection from the raw metal resonance of the container.
The dimensions are 6m x 2.14m x 2.2m high.
It sounds HORRIBLE.

Here are my starting points for treatment.

The console will stretch about 120cm from the rear 2.14m wall.

I will put 180cm long x 60 cm high perforated hardboard panels lined with 100kg/m3 mineral fibre 10cm deep along the side walls overlapping the operating level of the console and then 3 successive 1m wide x 60cm high panels of fabric faced, 10cm deep mineral fibre (same density) above the pegboard, evenly spaced from behind the console to about 4m along the room.

On the 2.14m wide wall behind the console there is a circular window (nice). Either side of that window I will put 120cm high x 60cm wide plain hardboard faced panels filled with the same 10cm thick mineral fibre for lowend absorption. They will almost hit the corners.

On the ceiling I will put the following,
2 x 80cm x 60cm x 10cm boxes over the console with a perforated hardboard face and filled with 10cm thick 100kg/m3 mineral fibre.
Behind these I will lower the depth and have a further 2 layers (meaning 4 boxes) of 5cm thick mineral fibre. I was also going to scatter the facing material from perforated to plain hardboard.

So thats a starting point. i realise the best way to do this is to hack stuff up there and then have a listen but has anyone got any recommendations/advice/warnings ?

many thanks

Demus

Bill_Urick

Re: Shipping container studio (gulp)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:34:17 PM »

That is an astounding problem.

Ethan?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

jetbase

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure John L Sayers successfully designed a studio in a shipping container.

Yep, here it is: http://www.johnlsayers.com/Studio/Mainpage/MP-Mark.htm
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Ethan Winer

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:26:24 PM »

Demus wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 15:49

The console will stretch about 120cm from the rear 2.14m wall.

I don't know what that means, but the speakers should fire the longer way down the "room."

Quote:

I will put 180cm long x 60 cm high perforated hardboard panels lined with 100kg/m3 mineral fibre 10cm deep along the side walls

Reflection points need 100 percent absorption, so you don't want any sort of hard board there, perforated or not.

Any chance you can post a photo?

--Ethan

Demus

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 06:40:27 AM »

Glen - Thanks for that link to Jon Sayers' site.
That looks like the best way to line the container !

It gets me to thinking that maybe I should "Stud" wall the whole thing and line it with mineral fibre then face it rather than just putting panels up. I'm quite keen to keep some "air" in the room acoustically but I want to try and gets as uniform a response as possible.

Ethan,

Reflection points need 100 percent absorption, so you don't want any sort of hard board there, perforated or not.

Do you suggest I just line the mineral fibre with acoustically transparent fabric ? Will I not abosorb everything then ?

Are you sure you want a photo ?
It is a rectangular container - just like the one on Sayers' site, lined with plasterboard and with a glass entry door. I would be happy to oblige with a photo if its informative though !!!

thanks for any help

regards

Dilip

Thomas Jouanjean

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:37:35 PM »

How big is your console?

To create a RFZ, you can use geometry and / or absorption. Which you go with is a matter of space and taste.

Rockwool with a not too thick fabric covering is a good 'broadband' absorber. Don't use too dense rockwool (too high change of impedance from air to the rockwool surface) or you will have some mid freq bouncing off it's surface among other things.

Good density is of 60kg/m
Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

Demus

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 06:19:03 PM »

Thomas

thanks for the response -

i was now thinking of building some "Helmholtz" style panels of height 1500mm and stretching over 1800mm from 70mm to 350mm deep at angle of 12 degrees (as per John Sayers)lined with 50Kg/m3 "mineral fibre".The panel will be faced with pegboard/perforated hardboard. I'm going to glue the mineral fibre to the back of the pegboard to create a sealed cavity for LF absorption.

Why would you say 90kg/m3 is too much ? Is it not fundamental to get as high a low frequency absorption as possible ?

Can you tell me - is "mineral fibre" the same as rockwool ?

Still trying to get some photos.

regards
Dilip   x

Demus

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »

[quote title=Thomas Jouanjean wrote on Mon, 08 December 2008 13:37]How big is your console?

console is a Trident Trimix 18:8:2 clocking in at
110cm wide by 95cm deep.

i also have to slot in my monitor shelf . . . . what do you think about distance from the back wall (2.2m wide) of the console ?

RMoore

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »

Wondering how it all turned out?
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 18 queries.