R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo imaging with splayed ceiling.  (Read 9959 times)

amwall

Stereo imaging with splayed ceiling.
« on: October 04, 2010, 01:06:33 PM »

Hi folks,
I followed the advice in this thread http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/32612/21705/ and have moved the monitors to fire down the length of the room.
You can see in the photos and plans in that thread that the ceiling is very splayed meaning that the ceiling is much higher on the rhs of the speakers and listening position than it is on the lhs.

Can anyone give me any advice on what sort of absorption/diffusion solutions would help to get a better stereo image?
We can fabricate absorbers/diffusors as need be. My partner in the studio is a carpenter.

Thanks in advance,
a

Constantin

Re: Stereo imaging with splayed ceiling.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »

in your case you want a thick cloud mounted with decent distance to the cellig, with a large surface area.
You need to treat all speacular celling reflections over the whole frequnecy range above the schr

amwall

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »

Thanks Constantin,
I'm looking up cloud designs at the moment. I'm wondering where exactly to install it. Should I install it over the mix position and parallel with the floor or at an angle to either the floor and walls?

amwall

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »

Just a couple of quick questions:-

When you're talking about treating all specular reflections above the Schroeder frequency, I assume you mean that I would need an RPG cloud. To be honest, we're operating on a shoestring here and can't afford to by any readymade solutions. Also, the cost of fabricating RPG is not feasible at the moment.
So, I'm thinking of fabricating something like this and making it double thickness, i.e. using 2 sheets of rigid insulation and maybe putting a layer of Rockwool between the insulation and the covering cloth.
What do you think?index.php/fa/15549/0/

Constantin

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »

It is quite simple

Just stack 2 layers of 100mm (20cm in total) light insulation (about 5kPa s/m

amwall

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »

That's great Constantin, thanks again.
We're gonna do some fabrication this weekend including a large cloud per your suggestion and a pair of rudimentary bass traps in the corners behind the speakers.
With a little bit of experimentation, we'll not be far off getting this room as good as good as it's ever going to be. As I've already said, we're on a tight budget so we're not trying to get it sounding like something out of an acoustics manual!  Cool
Thanks and take care,
ad

gullfo

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 01:42:04 PM »

you could use some "micromesh" fabric under the cloth to prevent any fibers from coming through or foam as constantin suggests. the slats help keep it from being completely dead and of course you could use a variety of things to perform the same function such as strips of plywood arranged randomly etc. you could add those later if you find the deadness from the absorber is a bit much. if you can angle the cloud a bit it will increase the air space behind it and give some slight improvement in the range of frequencies it affects as well as provide some additional angle for moving reflections past your listening position.
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

amwall

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:47:26 AM »

Thanks, yes I'll try the cloud angled slightly upwards towards the rear of the room. Also, the 1"x1.5" strips on the design above also seem to me to be a good idea but I'll try the cloud without as well. Maybe more 'deadness' will be a good idea. There is only one way to find out in any event!

gullfo

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 12:35:38 PM »

sorry, cross posted the response...

you might also want to consider smaller clouds so you can individually adjust the height and angles and break up the ceiling surface. attached is a simpler smaller set of clouds using 1x lumber frame squared and held rigid by corner braces which is where you attach eye hooks and wire to hang them. as shown, 1x4 frame 3'x5' (900mm x 1500mm) with 4" (100mm) rigid insulation.

index.php/fa/15586/0/
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

amwall

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »

Ah, I see how that could work very well in this case. This sort of arrangement should give us a better fit with the splayed ceiling.
Thanks again,
ad
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.