R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: For the HEDDs  (Read 38979 times)

Greg Reierson

Re: For the HEDDs
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »

Bonati wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 15:02

For those using the Hedd as their primary A/D/A, have you clocked the A/D path differently than the D/A path? I've heard this is possible but haven't experimented yet on my own.

Don't! I found a serious internal clock crosstalk while testing a freshly upgraded unit and then had the same result with a new unit supplied by Crane Song. There's a thread either here or on GS about it.

The short story is that the clocks interfere with each other and introduce some nasty artifacts into the signal. It was significantly worst at higher rates (176/192) and much less noticeable at lower rates. Do some careful listening first if you attempt it.

GR

Greg Reierson

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »

Ruairi O'Flaherty

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 21:27

Bonati wrote on Fri, 18 February 2011 15:02

For those using the Hedd as their primary A/D/A, have you clocked the A/D path differently than the D/A path? I've heard this is possible but haven't experimented yet on my own.

Don't! I found a serious internal clock crosstalk while testing a freshly upgraded unit and then had the same result with a new unit supplied by Crane Song. There's a thread either here or on GS about it.

The short story is that the clocks interfere with each other and introduce some nasty artifacts into the signal. It was significantly worst at higher rates (176/192) and much less noticeable at lower rates. Do some careful listening first if you attempt it.

GR

Thanks for the heads up on this issue Greg' I'd never heard of it.  I'm just on the cusp of going to a separate computer for playback and capture so this could well have arisen, will do some listening for sure.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Bonati

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »

Thanks Greg - that's good to know. Also too bad - was hoping this was a trick the Hedd could pull off.
Josh Bonati
Brooklyn, NY
www.bonatimastering.com

SafeandSound

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2011, 06:34:59 AM »

I have never heard the HEDD but I am put off by the digital harmonic generation. Reminds of the digital radiance generator on a TC Finalizer. Crying or Very Sad
UK's No.1 Online Mastering studio, free previews :

http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk/
online mastering

lowland

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 07:30:26 AM »

SafeandSound wrote on Sat, 19 February 2011 11:34

I have never heard the HEDD but I am put off by the digital harmonic generation.

Don't be - there's always the in/out switch, you know! Even if you never used the processing the HEDD would still be good value, though like many before you you'd likely find moderate processing a useful mastering tool, even if only once in a blue moon.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »

lowland wrote on Sat, 19 February 2011 06:30

I have never heard the HEDD but I am put off by the digital harmonic generation.

Don't be - there's always the in/out switch, you know! Even if you never used the processing the HEDD would still be good value, though like many before you you'd likely find moderate processing a useful mastering tool, even if only once in a blue moon.

Agree with Nigel here.

I occasionally use the Crane Song Phoenix for a little tape saturation sound.

Similar algorithms designed by the same guy Dave Hill.

Can be really nice when you need it.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Ruairi O'Flaherty

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2011, 07:11:30 PM »

I have never heard the HEDD but I am put off by the digital harmonic generation. Reminds of the digital radiance generator on a TC Finalizer. Crying or Very Sad

As the others have said don't be.  Dave Hill is not a gimmick kinda guy.  I was originally sold on the idea of HEDD by the saturation options and as I said I use them rarely now but they are still sweet when they are the right choice.  For me the HEDD justifies it's price purely as an AD/DA with some processing thrown in as a bonus.

As Jerry said Phoenix can also be just the thing on certain mixes.

Cheers,
Ruairi

lowland

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2011, 03:52:11 AM »

True, Ruari - the 'analogue-like' processing loomed fairly large for me as a feature when I originally bought the beast as I had no analogue outboard at the time. Once I acquired some the HEDD's processing became less important, though as explained earlier I still give it a whirl from time time, mostly with the Tape control on tracks that may need a little extra gravitas.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

SafeandSound

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »

Fair point , not that much hardware that has digital enhancements going on these days so it's quite unique I suppose.
UK's No.1 Online Mastering studio, free previews :

http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk/
online mastering

jackthebear

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »

Ruairi O'Flaherty wrote on Sun, 20 February 2011 11:11

[  For me the HEDD justifies it's price purely as an AD/DA with some processing thrown in as a bonus.

Couldn't agree more.......
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Dave Rose

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »

The pentode on my machine really creates a level boost...which can be mistaken for it sounding better. I use the effects less now than when I first bought it, but still get some great sounds on the right material, gives it that bit of beef if needs be.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 17 queries.