R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z-sys : jitter reduction  (Read 5795 times)

Tim Boyce

Z-sys : jitter reduction
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »

Does anyone know about how the jitter reduction in the Z-Systems equipment works?

I have heard, (but can't find any documentation) that each I/O of the Z-sys routers does jitter reduction, also their Z-EQ's perform jitter reduction as stated in the manual.

Where in the chain is the best place to perform the reduction. I would think at the end of the chain (prior to the final peak limiter if used).

but maybe it would be best after the most jittery piece? The idea be cleaning up the bad output from some other more jitter prone device. even if it was earlier in the chain ..

Does anyone know more about what exactly it is doing to reduce the jitters?? (switch to decaf after 12:00).  Thanks!

TotalSonic

Re: Z-sys : jitter reduction
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »

Tim Boyce wrote on Thu, 03 March 2011 16:49

Does anyone know about how the jitter reduction in the Z-Systems equipment works?

I have heard, (but can't find any documentation) that each I/O of the Z-sys routers does jitter reduction, also their Z-EQ's perform jitter reduction as stated in the manual.

Where in the chain is the best place to perform the reduction. I would think at the end of the chain (prior to the final peak limiter if used).

but maybe it would be best after the most jittery piece? The idea be cleaning up the bad output from some other more jitter prone device. even if it was earlier in the chain ..

Does anyone know more about what exactly it is doing to reduce the jitters?? (switch to decaf after 12:00).  Thanks!

Jitter only manifests itself at the ADC or the DAC (although the same term is sometimes used to describe pit geometry distortions that can happen on glass masters for pressed CD's during optical disc replication).  Every decent converter has built in jitter rejection into it.  So unless there's some kind of magic voodoo going on that I'm unaware of being able to happen the jitter reduction would only occur at the converter.  Seems most ME's I know using Z-Sys processors only use them as digital devices and do not use the onboard converters though.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Greg Reierson

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »

Why not call Glenn and ask him?

http://www.z-sys.com/about.html

GR

Tim Boyce

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »

Excellent choice ..

I spoke with a tech, and this is what they had to say:

'The jitter reduction centers primarily around a phase-locked loop
associated with the chip that does the conversion from digital audio to serial data stream."

so it's just another PPL. These Zsys boxes do sounds pretty darn good though Smile

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »

Tim Boyce wrote on Fri, 04 March 2011 15:33

These Zsys boxes do sounds pretty darn good though Smile

Right On Tim!

Our Z's have sounded better than plug-ins EQs for a number of years now.

The later generation of ZQ's have MS processing as well.

The knobs can be a bit fiddly, but they sound great.

Cheerio, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.