R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: You can't do SRC in Pro Tools. You need Barbabatch.  (Read 7947 times)

breathe

You can't do SRC in Pro Tools. You need Barbabatch.
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »

I'm just speaking from experience.  Downconverting 96k files from PT to 44.1 sounds like ass.  I have literally found nirvana with Barbabatch, especially in making MP3's.

Nicholas

breathe

Re: You can't do SRC in Pro Tools. You need Barbabatch.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:19:56 AM »

Apparently I was underinformed.  Audiofile's Sample Manager software is supposed to be even better than Barbabatch.

Nicholas

Tomas Danko

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:49:40 AM »

breathe wrote on Mon, 13 September 2010 13:19

Apparently I was underinformed.  Audiofile's Sample Manager software is supposed to be even better than Barbabatch.

Nicholas

Spend some time here:

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

You can look at and compare pretty much every SRC out there, and educate yourself. Some of them look very good, the other ones you can just disregard unless you have to use them.

R8Brain is one of the best out there, and there is a FREE version as well. If it has all the bells and whistles you need, get it, forget about SRC issues and move on with life...

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

Check out the comparison (hint: less dark lines means better etc)

index.php/fa/15408/0/
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Otitis Media

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »

Oh, and you know that what you're putting IN to the mp3 encode/downsample is going to play a big role. Extremely limited material that's right up against 0dBFS is going to give the encoder fits. It's essentially a 256 band equalizer, and when you start removing stuff and reducing the bitrate, you're not going to be able to cleanly express that stuff if you've sent it a square wave.

In Pro Tools, are you using the best quality settings, btw?

How do you back up this statement with evidence, btw? Do you make an mp3 with Pro Tools and then with Barbabatch and try a null test? I'm not sure how you'd even back this up, but if you're going to CONTINUE to bait the forum with this statement, I'd like to see you back it up. Otherwise, you're just posting noise. It's pretty well proven that if you act like a professional here, the forum members are willing to listen and give you the time of day, but c'mon. Stop, or show us what the hell you're talking about with real data.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

breathe

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »

Dan, this time I wasn't making a post to be condescending of either other software or the people who choose to use it.  I am genuinely thrilled with my experience of Barbabatch.  Not only does it downconvert files well, but the MP3's sound excellent.  Now that I'm using this software, when I want to show someone a track I mixed, I don't hesitate to play a Barbabatch-made MP3 of the 24/96 file in iTunes, vs. playing them the 24/96 file out of PTHD.

Nicholas

Otitis Media

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »

I'm just not convinced that the SRC out of Pro Tools is *that* bad. Examples, please.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

J.J. Blair

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:42:34 PM »

Here's a question: All the examples on that page are 96 to 44.1.  Are there less artifacts from 88.2 to 44.1?  Is this a dangling integer thing?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

rankus

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »

I've been using R8brain since it's inception... and life has been worry free Smile

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

breathe

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »

All I know on this subject is what I hear.  What kind of example would you like me to provide?

Nicholas

Otitis Media wrote on Mon, 13 September 2010 11:47

I'm just not convinced that the SRC out of Pro Tools is *that* bad. Examples, please.

Otitis Media

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »

Put up one of the mp3s that makes you so full of hate, and put up the same file xverted w/Barbabatch.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, but being a part-time journalist has made me keenly aware that you can't get away with making statements without evidence (at least for very long).
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

tom eaton

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 09:52:30 PM »

Wow, Dan.  You must be new to the internet.

Twisted Evil

t

zakco

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »

breathe wrote on Mon, 13 September 2010 05:19

Nicholas

Sample manager is a fantastic little program. Even without the included izotope SRC and Dither.

Otitis Media

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »

Nah, I just have a byline. Can't hide behind an avatar, so at that point, if you want to be taken credibly, you need to back up your words. Unless your goal is to be a clown. Je ne suis pas un bete noir.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

Tomas Danko

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 07:07:40 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 13 September 2010 22:42

Here's a question: All the examples on that page are 96 to 44.1.  Are there less artifacts from 88.2 to 44.1?  Is this a dangling integer thing?

Unless you wanted Joaquin Phoenix to answer your question, it's pretty much been debunked years ago. You just find the lowest common denominator (or whatever them math geeks call it) for the source and target frequencies. I figure they tend to do it asynchronic these days, but should you be forced to go the synchronic way then yes 88.2 to 44.1 can produce a better end result.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

OOF!

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »

Sample Manager is a wonderful-sounding converter.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.