R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bricasti's out of my range. Good cheaper reverbs?  (Read 11903 times)

tom eaton

Re: Bricasti's out of my range. Good cheaper reverbs?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 08:29:52 AM »

Carter-

I hope you're not suggesting that having actual "moving air" is part of making a record sound real.  I think that's outrageous and bad advice.  Everyone knows that taking things direct and then using plugins is the way all of the best classic records were made.

Thank god Geoff Emerick didn't have the internet at his disposal.

t

Otitis Media

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 09:38:56 AM »

tom eaton wrote on Sun, 19 September 2010 08:29

Thank god Geoff Emerick didn't have the internet at his disposal.

t

Pfft, Geoff Emerick. He's admitted to micing the edge of Ringo's cymbals. That's not what they teach at Full Sail. Besides, everyone knows Ringo is a crappy drummer, I mean, he doesn't even have Roto-toms or a double bass pedal. There's just ONE drum solo from him on all the Beatles albums. Meh

The above was tongue in cheek.

Carter's advice is great. Reverb that's beautiful and interesting doesn't have to be expensive. Read back where I said that my favorite "hardware" reverbs are actual rooms. You can take your mix with you on a laptop and use a powered speaker to excite the room.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

Kurt Foster

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 02:44:01 PM »

breathe wrote on Sat, 18 September 2010 22:41

Actually, I don't know if ANYONE on this forum likes the music I like and record, so that may be a point of disconnect.

Nicholas

Don't be so hard on yourself. It's been too easy for you. You have been handicapped by the times and technology. You can't just buy your way to good recordings.

Early recordists had to improvise. Many had the advantage when they started of not having anything even available to them for sale, let alone the newest and or the best.

They were blessed in that there was not any ready information available at the stroke of a key. They had to dig deep to find materials on the subject.

They learned (and this part is important) to appreciate content. The song first, then performance, performance, performance.

They learned when asking advice, not to gloss over parts they didn't agree with only taking the parts that appealed to them.

It was an expensive proposition even for those who were using what was termed, "semi-pro" gear at the time. A new TEAC 4 track system cost 6 to 10 grand equivalent to 3 times that in todays Dollars. This resulted in a weeding out process. Only people who really wanted it, got into recording and only those who were really talented advanced in the business.

Now days any idiot with a few hundred bucks and a lap top is a "producer". This is the reason I used to go on and on about cheap gear (it turned out to be a losing battle on my part). I think there needs to be a "price" for admission.

My ex-wife used to ask me, "Why do you keep reading those (articles, owners manuals, equipment pamphlets, magazines, whatever) over and over?" There wasn't anything else to read. I was obsessed and I absorbed every nugget of info I could get my hands on. I learned that sometimes, wanting is better than having. Dreams are always better than the reality.

I started learning recording on cassette decks recording my band live. Then I began bouncing between cassette decks for overdubs.  I didn't even understand what the bias switches were for or how to use the Dolby NR but I figured it out on my own, not by getting on the computer and asking Fletcher.

When I cobbled together my first real recording rig (and I was in heaven) it was a little Dokorder 4 track a TEAC SX 3300 2 track and a TEAC Model 2A mixer (I still have the mixer wrapped up in plastic out in my shop). I had an Ibanez analog delay I borrowed, a bi amp quad limiter, Shure and EV mics from my bands PA and JBL monitors set up in a spare bedroom in an old house with 12 foot ceilings. I figured out how to record 4 tracks on the Dokorder, mix those to one or two tracks to the 3300, take the tape off the 3300 and put it back on the Dokorder and record 3 or 4 more tracks. I learned that I had to keep one track open at the end and to wait to record the bass last or it would get mushy from all the bounces. I learned many years later this was what The Beatles did too. RATS! I thought I came up with that first.

I used the living room for a live room. The bathroom and kitchen were my echo chambers. People came from miles around to get recorded in my little home studio.

I was forced to learn how to make recordings based first on content. I learned that if the song and /or the band sucked, there was no hope. My equipment was a handicap. I couldn't "fix it in the mix". I am thankful for that.

The best advice I have read here recently is for learning recordists to limit themselves in track count. Start learning how to make a decent recording with only 4 tracks. Learn how to get sounds from the drums and amps with mics from the room at capture, and not with processers. We did stuff like tune the snare so low the head was wrinkled, tape a wallet to it and adjust the snares so the was lots of sizzle. We didn't just turn to an EQ or a sample replacement.  

If you rely on plug ins and distressors and API's you will only be getting sounds that any idiot with plug ins, API's and distressors can get.

Stop stressing over what mp3 converter sounds best. I have Beatle and Merle Haggard mp3s that I love to listen to in spite of the mp3 process. The songs are great and the performances are stellar. Don't need much more than that.

Be original and innovative.

I think the biggest handicap you face is you have too many resources available to you. You have been overwhelmed by the gear and technology. You have swallowed the hook line and sinker in regards to what equipment sales people have sold you. These things are only tools. Make it simple.

And stop insulting people. This is a people business. You never know when you will be forced to work with someone you said something rude to. The web forums are a double edged sword that can cut you deep. Not every one can pull off insult humor and caustic replies like Fletcher does. Leave that to him. You do not endear yourself to people being rude. Good manners a little humor and some humility will take you a long way. I know, I learned the "hard way".

Speaking of the hard way, check out Sharon Jones and The DAP Kings recording, "I Learned the Hard Way". 8 tracks!!!!!

http://www.sharonjonesandthedapkings.com/

Fleetwood Mac

Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.