R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bricasti's out of my range. Good cheaper reverbs?  (Read 11948 times)

Gio

Re: Bricasti's out of my range. Good cheaper reverbs?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 08:23:02 PM »

jetbase wrote on Sun, 12 September 2010 20:04

I agree, gear is important. Not any more important than songs, performances, instruments & acoustics, but it is our job as engineers to take the responsibility of ensuring that the gear does not hold back the potential of anything else.

Nicholas, you could also have a look at TC Electronic hardware reverbs. I use the M2000 all the time & I like it.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/studioreverb.asp

I agree. But at what point do we stop chasing tail and get it done? Eventually we have to work with what we have, and not let that hold back the potential of the tune. How many have an unlimited gear budget?  Very Happy

That said, I rather like the TC M3000 I have kicking around....
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

rphilbeck

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »

Any thoughts on the UAD Software EMT 250?

Tom L

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 10:44:28 PM »

Any of you Eventide fans using the 2016? Thoughts?

I like the simplicity of the controls but have not had an opportunity yet to hear one first hand (ear).

breathe

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »

I've narrowed my options down to the Yamaha SPX2000, the Eventide Eclipse, and the Eventide SP2016.  Next week I'm going to buy the Cranesong HEDD from Mercenary and if that doesn't rock my balls (because the Burl isn't really) I'm going to return it and get two of the reverbs I mentioned, and if one doesn't work I'll get the third, and hopefully I can find a plate sound and a hall sound I can live with.

Nicholas

Kurt Foster

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 02:15:01 AM »

breathe wrote on Sun, 12 September 2010 16:36

I'm tired of people saying it's all about the song and the gear doesn't matter.  FUCK that!  I am recording good artists now and I want my records to sound the bomb, and gear matters.  There are guitar sounds I'm getting with my API 527's that I could have never got before I had them.  I'm really digging the Distressors with the British mod.  Gear is important!  People who disagree with that should not be posting on this forum.

Nicholas

I am happy for you that you are enjoying your gear. Good for you.

Sometimes great gear is wasted if the content sucks and I for one would rather hear an artist with talent and chops recorded with a radio shack mic and  a Behringer preamp onto  an midi disc than a no talent hack /time is dragging ass song recorded with Neves and Neummans API's , Distressors onto a Studer or MCI or whatever. The music comes first. Sorry there's no magic tuning or magic bullet.

I am a proponent of great equipment. I really dislike cheap gear for a number of reasons. But sometimes you can get the cart before the horse you rode in on.
Quote:

"Don't ask what I think of you, I might not give you the answer that you want me to."

Tomas Danko

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »

breathe wrote on Sat, 11 September 2010 23:40

I have been looking at this:
 http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/product_detail.p hp?prodID=1034

and this:
 http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/Harmonizers/E clipse.aspx

Has anyone used either of these?  Can you give any feedback?

Best,
Nicholas

The Eclipse has a beautiful and lush sound. I'm just not sure that's what you're looking for.

Use Altiverb or similar and download a bunch of impulse responses taken from all these reverberation units, have a go and see if anyone floats your boat.

Cheers,

Danko

http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

PookyNMR

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »

For ITB, the Waves IR does well.  A huge list of impulses are available for it.

For OTB, I like a lot of the reverbs in the Ensoniq DP/4.  Those can be had for cheap now on e-bay.
Nathan Rousu

C.Cash

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »

meverylame wrote on Sun, 12 September 2010 10:09

I just got a STEAL on a pair of Lexicon 224s. They're jamming. And you can get them fixed now. Buy'em while they're cheap!

Hi, who or where is fixing them?

Thanks.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

zakco

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 11:40:46 PM »

rphilbeck wrote on Sun, 12 September 2010 19:34

Any thoughts on the UAD Software EMT 250?

I have never compared it to hardware (nor do I care to...), but I find the UAD 250 REALLY useful.

cgc

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43:10 AM »

C.Cash wrote on Mon, 13 September 2010 13:17

meverylame wrote on Sun, 12 September 2010 10:09

I just got a STEAL on a pair of Lexicon 224s. They're jamming. And you can get them fixed now. Buy'em while they're cheap!

Hi, who or where is fixing them?

Thanks.

I would also like to know a good Lexicon repair place.  

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 10:34:23 PM »

I'm tired of people saying it's all about the song and the gear doesn't matter.  FUCK that!  I am recording good artists now and I want my records to sound the bomb, and gear matters.  There are guitar sounds I'm getting with my API 527's that I could have never got before I had them.  I'm really digging the Distressors with the British mod.  Gear is important!  People who disagree with that should not be posting on this forum.

Nicholas

But the mix you sent us for critique sounds HORRIBLE.

And that was before you pushed the record button...

Really Nicholas, you need to learn to stop posting so much, and start learning how to use the equipment you actually have, instead of masturbating on this forum about stuff you know nothing about.

You are one of the reasons I don't come over here nearly as often as before. Like 10% of the postings are crap from you.

I wonder why the moderators decided to let you back in. I guess they like your kind of kooky entertainment.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

breathe

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 01:24:53 AM »

Can't you just engage the "ignore user" function on this forum?  I've taken two week breaks from this forum before and when I come back my threads are still at the top of the list.  If you think my work is lame that's fine but I really do want to start discussions and most people are too autistic to add the dramatic flair to get a thread moving.  Also, I've totally quit my old "I will overtake you" bullshit so that's no longer a factor.  

Nicholas

Nick Sevilla wrote on Sat, 18 September 2010 19:34

Nicholas

But the mix you sent us for critique sounds HORRIBLE.

And that was before you pushed the record button...

Really Nicholas, you need to learn to stop posting so much, and start learning how to use the equipment you actually have, instead of masturbating on this forum about stuff you know nothing about.

You are one of the reasons I don't come over here nearly as often as before. Like 10% of the postings are crap from you.

I wonder why the moderators decided to let you back in. I guess they like your kind of kooky entertainment.

Cheers

breathe

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 01:41:02 AM »

Actually, I don't know if ANYONE on this forum likes the music I like and record, so that may be a point of disconnect.

Nicholas

QUEEF BAG

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 02:04:14 AM »

after a while as you work with more types of music and
work with better and better musicians, you learn to appreciate
more types of music. and maybe even like them.

most studio people i know can listen & enjoy well crafted, and well done music of most any genre.

CWHumphrey

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 02:20:03 AM »

Why don't you create your own?

Try this:

Set up an aux. send connected to a powered speaker and put the speaker in the bath tub (or shower) and hang two mics off axis of the speaker.

I think you'll agree that as a snare verb, this has more depth than any of the digital crap that has been made in the last 30 years!

If you really like the sound of what your getting, shoot an impulse response and use in your favorite convolution reverb.

Use your imagination.

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.