R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making an Audio CD .ISO file  (Read 14567 times)

Gregg Janman

Making an Audio CD .ISO file
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:16:08 AM »

I am sure someone here will be able to help me!

I've recently had a client request an .ISO file of their album (which will be released as an Audio CD) so that they can easily burn copies for listening with their consumer burner software.

I've found one way is to burn an Audio CD from the .wav files, then get that Audio CD ripped as an .ISO file, but I was just wondering if it is possible to create an Audio CD .ISO file DIRECTLY from the .wavs.

I am on PC and would appreciate any suggestions!

TIA,

Gregg

Gregg Janman

Re: Making an Audio CD .ISO file
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:36:15 AM »

...hmm

according to wikipedia:

"ISO images are not able to store and recreate CD-Audio discs, due to the fact that CD-Audio discs do not use a computer file system. CD-Audio discs are formatted in tracks, and the track numbers, index points and CD time code are encoded into the lead-in of the CD-Audio disc, and these reference points are found throughout the CD-Audio sub-channel. To store an accurate copy of a CD-Audio disc, a different image format must be used, such as DDP or BIN/CUE."

so if i want to send my client the full album in one file, that he can easily burn to an audio CD for reference playing, without him having to purchase expensive DDP software, what is the best way?

ATOR

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:21:12 AM »

Bin/cue files.
Pieter Vincenten - ATORmastering

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:15:29 AM »

Gregg Janman wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 07:16

I've recently had a client request an .ISO file of their album (which will be released as an Audio CD) so that they can easily burn copies for listening with their consumer burner software.

If it's just for the client to listen to and proof (spacing - flow etc.) you can burn a cd and upload that cd into itunes and subsequently send them the itunes files.

The process is described here:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/5750387-post6.html

bkuijt

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 16:15

If it's just for the client to listen to and proof (spacing - flow etc.) you can burn a cd and upload that cd into itunes and subsequently send them the itunes files.

The process is described here:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/5750387-post6.html

+1 for iTunes.

For a bin/cue fileset you can use Wavelab or Sonoris DDP Creator.
Exact Audio Copy can rip an audio CD to bin/cue and is free.

bests,
Bastiaan Kuijt  //  BK Audio  //  www.bkaudio.nl

biigniick

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »

Gregg Janman wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 06:36

ISO images are not able to store and recreate CD-Audio discs, due to the fact that CD-Audio discs do not use a computer file system

i've had simmilar requests for reference discs.  my solution is to save the image as a .nrg file.  this is a nero image and i've found can be burned on a pc with free 'nero lite' software readily available on their website and on a mac by 'toast'.  it is a neat single file and most with a pc and a link to the free software.

if i remember correctly, the only problem is that the pregaps don't get on the new disc. . .

hope this helps
- nick

Gregg Janman

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »

Thank you for all the helpful replies!

I don't use iTunes, but I do use Exact Audio Copy. Can I make an Audio CD BIN/CUE file using EAC directly from the .wav files, or do I have to burn a CD and then rip it to BIN/CUE first?

Good call on the Nero .nrg file too. Again, can I make the Audio CD directly from the .wavs, or do I need to "burn & rip" first? Just trying to save time and possible errors. Wink

I'll look into the free Nero Lite now...

Thanks once again,

Gregg

TotalSonic

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 11:53:48 PM »

Gregg Janman wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 21:27

Thank you for all the helpful replies!

I don't use iTunes, but I do use Exact Audio Copy. Can I make an Audio CD BIN/CUE file using EAC directly from the .wav files, or do I have to burn a CD and then rip it to BIN/CUE first?

Just change the extension of the wav files to .bin - and then open the .cue file with a basic ASCII text editor like Notepad and edit all of the instances of linked audio file names from .wav to .bin as well.

Quote:

Good call on the Nero .nrg file too.

I disagree.  It's both proprietary and not cross platform.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

masterlab

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 08:14:58 AM »

Since using Sonoris DDP Player (OEM) this whole topic is not existing for us any more.
As we always make DDPs anyway, the Player is reducing time consumed for any kind of client references vastly.
If you can do DDPs check out the DDP Player.

cheers

-a-

andreas balaskas
chief mastering engineer
    www.masterlab.de

James Perrett

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »

Gregg Janman wrote on Fri, 10 September 2010 02:27

I'm not sure about EAC but you can certainly make a wav/cue fileset with Plextools XL. Just drag and drop your 16 bit 44.1kHz.wav files in the right order into the Audio CD Maker window and then save the layout as a .cue file. You can also use Plextools to add ISRC's and CD Text.

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

biigniick

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 07:53:57 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 22:53

Quote:

Good call on the Nero .nrg file too.

I disagree.  It's both proprietary and not cross platform.

While proprietary, the Nero file is cross platform.  It's exactly the reason we chose to use it.  It can burn on a mac if they have Toast (just double click the file) or on a PC with the free Nero Lite software (through a few menu options).  The PC software is free and almost everyone i know that has a mac has Toast.

- nick

resolectric

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 07:43:43 AM »

biigniick wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 20:52

...the only problem is that the pregaps don't get on the new disc. . .

Dealing with this same problem here:

i have a Master ready to send to the replication plant and they're asking for either DDP, NRG or UIF files to be upload to the server.

Problem is the audio is continuous, though there are Track markers there. 15 to be precise.
I have 2 second gaps between End and Start markers and the audio in those gaps is deleted in every image format i use.

I would like to keep the gaps because i've had previous experience with CD players that wouldn't accept playing from a Start marker if it didn't have a gap before it.

Any solution you can provide for this?

biigniick

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »

resolectric wrote on Fri, 08 October 2010 06:43

they're asking for either DDP, NRG or UIF files to be upload to the server.

Problem is the audio is continuous, though there are Track markers there. 15 to be precise.
I have 2 second gaps between End and Start markers and the audio in those gaps is deleted in every image format i use.

I would like to keep the gaps because i've had previous experience with CD players that wouldn't accept playing from a Start marker if it didn't have a gap before it.

DDP should be no problem for that.  the NRG would probably also be ok, but only will have index 1 for each track. . . i've not used UIF. . .

i'm not sure i exactly understand your problem.  there is continuous audio with pre gaps (audio in pregap not just silence) and start markers?  

-nick

resolectric

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 07:31:41 AM »

biigniick wrote on Fri, 08 October 2010 23:37

resolectric wrote on Fri, 08 October 2010 06:43

they're asking for either DDP, NRG or UIF files to be upload to the server.

DDP should be no problem for that.  the NRG would probably also be ok, but only will have index 1 for each track. . . i've not used UIF. . .

i'm not sure i exactly understand your problem.  there is continuous audio with pre gaps (audio in pregap not just silence) and start markers?  

-nick

UIF is a compressed format that can be unpacked to NRG. No problem there.

Yes, there's continuous audio.
It's a contemporary Opera, recorded live with audience, and there are track markers at moments. Audio is continuous and not just "ambient noise audio". It's continuous music with track markers.

The image files i create (DDP or NRG) grab the audio between Start and End Markers but not the gaps between End and Start (i place 2 second gaps).

Maybe i'm doing something wrong when creating the image.
Been using Gear Pro and there's no problem with Masters wich have separate audio tracks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.