R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sometimes a mono mix is the way to go.  (Read 15328 times)

breathe

Sometimes a mono mix is the way to go.
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »

My latest and greatest:

http://www.post-consumer.com/ND/ptmf.mp3

Nicholas

daniel

Re: Sometimes a mono mix is the way to go.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:24:30 PM »

great!

Otitis Media

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:49:26 PM »

I dig. Don't you love the amount of reverb you can get away with in mono? Things live in their own space pretty well here, though I'm missing the bass guitar a bit. I'd also delay the shaker coming in so that it lands on the downbeat of the next bar rather than sort of lazily fading up.

You can push the guitar licks up more for some more contrast, as well. It's a good basic mix, from what I can hear, now the trick is to get it moving so that it's got some life in it. Your BVox can also come up a bit.

I realize I just suggested turning a ton of stuff up, which may or may not totally fark all the balances up...

-D
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

Blackie Pawless

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »

Like the song and singer and overall vibe.
Like the Led Zep "Boogie With Stu" ending.
I actually like the shaker coming in early before the downbeat like Beatles/Stones often did with percussion. Okay, enough of my dinosaur analogies...
On a subjective production level, got a little worn out with so much pedal steel.
Mono is nice touch for this kinda thing.
Who's the artist?
Scott Baggett

breathe

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »

There is no bass guitar.  Should we put one on there?  Nick felt the piano was sufficient.

Nicholas

Otitis Media wrote on Wed, 08 September 2010 11:49

I dig. Don't you love the amount of reverb you can get away with in mono? Things live in their own space pretty well here, though I'm missing the bass guitar a bit. I'd also delay the shaker coming in so that it lands on the downbeat of the next bar rather than sort of lazily fading up.

You can push the guitar licks up more for some more contrast, as well. It's a good basic mix, from what I can hear, now the trick is to get it moving so that it's got some life in it. Your BVox can also come up a bit.

I realize I just suggested turning a ton of stuff up, which may or may not totally fark all the balances up...

-D

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »

breathe wrote on Wed, 08 September 2010 16:45

There is no bass guitar.  Should we put one on there?  Nick felt the piano was sufficient.

That is a decision that the "production team" needs to make... in other words, that is between you, and Nick, and who ever else has a voice on the project.  The readers of this forum do not have a voice in your production, and [frankly] you shouldn't be asking them for a voice -- that's what "Gearslutz" is for - people who don't deserve a voice to feel like they're being heard].

Go for what feels right to the production team and you will never be wrong... go with a "consensus" and you will never be right!!

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

breathe

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »

That's a really good point Fletcher.

Nicholas

breathe

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 07:52:09 PM »

You know though, that being said, it's still cool to get feedback on a mix from people who are competent.  I can't stand GS and would never go there for help.  But I trust most of the people on your forum and I don't think asking them for advice is wrong.  I think you opinion (however noble) presupposes that I know exactly what I'm doing, which isn't necessarily the case.  THAT being said, I'm not about to credit "Fletcher's PSW Forum" as a co-producer of the record.

Nicholas

Otitis Media

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 08 September 2010 17:07

breathe wrote on Wed, 08 September 2010 16:45

That is a decision that the "production team" needs to make... in other words, that is between you, and Nick, and who ever else has a voice on the project.  The readers of this forum do not have a voice in your production, and [frankly] you shouldn't be asking them for a voice -- that's what "Gearslutz" is for - people who don't deserve a voice to feel like they're being heard].

Go for what feels right to the production team and you will never be wrong... go with a "consensus" and you will never be right!!

Peace.

Fletcher is right - reading my comments, I basically started barking commands about how *I* would mix it without any idea what the band and the people involved thought was right. I guess if I were one of the Lord Alges, I could do that kind of shit and get away with it.

Personally, I wonder what a bass guitar would sound like on the track, but if everyone THERE feels it doesn't need it, then it doesn't.

It's a good sounding mix, and I guess the things I pointed out may amount to personal preferences within a vacuum at this point.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

Otitis Media

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »

breathe wrote on Wed, 08 September 2010 19:52

I think you opinion (however noble) presupposes that I know exactly what I'm doing, which isn't necessarily the case.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have never, ever felt like I know what the hell I'm doing. Many here might likely say that's an accurate feeling.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

trock

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »

Classic

i am beginning to think a book on fletcherism's would do the whole industry a world of good

Edward Vinatea

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »

Quote:

Sometimes a mono mix is the way to go.

Very seldom a 'way to go' for me here. I mix an average of 48 tracks per mix sometimes over 60, and I need to use the frequency bands' real state to the fullest. Working with a mono mix is alright for speech, guitar/vocal performances and things that aren't too complex in both production and arrangement, but regardless of the miracles the older engineers achieved in the 50's, why would anybody want not to record in stereo or regress to ancient mixing methods?

Regards,

Edward

breathe

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 09:36:39 AM »

Dan Roth had a couple good ideas for improving the mix, which I employed to good effect.  This, I now consider to be the final mix.

http://www.post-consumer.com/ND/ptmmf2.mp3

Nicholas

breathe

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »

Also, why would anyone want to create a song that used 60 tracks?  I'm not saying that's a recipe for disaster, I'm just saying it seems weird.

Nicholas

Ryan Slowey

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:06:37 AM »

Edward Vinatea wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 09:08

why would anybody want not to record in stereo or regress to ancient mixing methods?

Regards,

Edward

Because when it works, as it does here, it sounds good. What other reason do you need?

Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.