R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cocteau Twins Fever  (Read 4243 times)

arconaut

Cocteau Twins Fever
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »

Such odd news coverage of a Cocteau Twins concert in Columbus in 1985:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaOlNfC8_xQ&feature=playe r_embedded
You Are Number Six

bigaudioblowhard

Re: Cocteau Twins Fever
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:49:57 PM »

wow, thanks for posting this. Cocteau Fever hit my scene in Vancouver hard around that time. I've seen them a couple of times, though not on that tour. I guess there was to be some kind of reunion tour a couple of years ago, but Robin and Elizabeth have had difficulty getting along (heresay). I hope they resolve any differences and play for us again.

bab

Kassonica

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:35:22 PM »

I Love blue bell knoll.

Great band.

Mark Ludwig

Should have been a Drummer

Paul Cavins

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:21:05 AM »

What a funny video. I grew up in Columbus, went to highschool in the 80s. Don't seem to remember the wave of Cocteau Twins mania. I did go to that club and record store though, and I remember that news anchor. Great stuff.

PC

Daniel Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »

Love those guys. Saw them twice. They were really amazing both times.

For the first 2/3 of their career, the drum machine thing worked brilliantly, but I think at some point the songwriting achieved a level of sophistication that called for real drums. I really wish the last three records had real drums.

DF

arconaut

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »

I must've been in a cranky mood when I saw them play. I remember thinking that they had no connection to the audience at all, half the music was canned and that I could stayed home, cranked up the albums, waved around some colored lights and pretty much would've had the same experience. I put them down as a studio band that I loved.

You Are Number Six

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »

thats an interesting perspective. At one LA concert, I saw at least one person crying. People here were obsessed with CT, audience was stacked with women. the only other artist I've ever seen crying at was Leonard Cohen.

bab

archtop

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »

Wow.

That was it?

Fever?

That was seriously lame.

I followed some other videos to make sure.

Wow.  Super forgettable.
Richard Williams

arconaut

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 07:59:48 PM »

Well, really the point of posting  the video is that this indie art "rock" band not only played in such a strange choice of a town (if you were only doing 5 US shows, what? LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco?) and that such a band would be getting coverage on the local TV news.

This is not to say you're not entitled to an opinion about the band itself, but mostly it was this band, presented in this context, that I found so weird.
You Are Number Six

archtop

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:45:02 AM »

I should've just kept my opinion to myself,
I was just kinda shocked because I had heard of them, for so long, but never really heard them.

Richard Williams

RSettee

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »

arconaut wrote on Tue, 31 August 2010 15:59

I must've been in a cranky mood when I saw them play. I remember thinking that they had no connection to the audience at all, half the music was canned and that I could stayed home, cranked up the albums, waved around some colored lights and pretty much would've had the same experience. I put them down as a studio band that I loved.

There are some bands that i'd never really want to see live. I really liked Slowdive (still do), but i'd never want to see them, either, and i'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have had an inclination to see the Cocteau Twins, either. I think that the Jesus And Mary Chain and Cocteau Twins (and Spacemen 3) probably kicked off the detached, motionless live show thing in the post rock/ shoegaze bands of that time and in the late 80's and early 90's.

arconaut

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 10:38:28 PM »

Funny thing is I've seen Kraftwerk a few times, and for all I know they're up there playing "Doom." It's like I don't care if the joke's on me, I just love it. But other people who were at the Cocteau Twins show did love it, so maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind.

The Cocteau Twins were one of the 1st bands I ever recall my parents absolutely hating - and I was listening to the Dead Kennedys around that time. But they listened to so much bagpipe music, they had it coming. Smile
You Are Number Six

KB_S1

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »

If anyone has ever seen Grangemouth (where the band was formed) you will be amazed that this music came out of it.

Driving into Grangemouth on a dark night can be like the opening sequence in Bladerunner.

The label that came from the band 'Bella Union' has some of my favourite current listening albums on it.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

MDM,

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 07:44:33 AM »

I had never heard them either, but I can imagine the appeal because of the soothing quality of her voice.
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

KB_S1

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:36 AM »

MDM, wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 12:44

I had never heard them either, but I can imagine the appeal because of the soothing quality of her voice.

Checkout Teardrop by Massive Attack.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 22 queries.