R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The placement of hanging cloud  (Read 9900 times)

Paul Cavins

The placement of hanging cloud
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »

Hey hey you you get offa mah cloud!

Anyway, I'm going to build and install a hanging cloud above my mixing position in order to make my luxury mixing room (read "apartment living room") a better listening experience. I'm also going to put absorbers on the walls at the appropriate first-reflection points.

I'm wondering what determines the precise placement, height wise, of the cloud. I am thinking about a 4" absorber with a 4" space between it and the ceiling. It may be practical for me to install it a bit lower. That is not an aesthetic problem, the ceiling is tall enough, but I don't want to make one of those fundamental mistakes.

Thanks-

PC

franman

Re: The placement of hanging cloud
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:37:02 AM »

A 4" thk cloud with 4" space behind it will work just fine. The precise placement of the cloud (in plan) and the absorbers for that matter is driven by control of early reflections. The should be placed by doing some ray analysis OR by poking around with a mirror to find the spot(s) where your speakers are 'seen' as reflections off the ceiling and side walls. It takes two people but this is the easiest and most accurate way to identify first reflection points in small rooms...
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

DanDan

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »

4 inch gap is fine but a bigger gap would be slightly better. It would enhance the LF absorption of the Cloud. This would slightly diminish the effect of the vertical mode.
DD

Paul Cavins

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 02:58:11 PM »

Thanks for the info, guys. It is reassuring to get advice from those in the know-

PC
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.