R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Masters to duplication  (Read 1545 times)

Oldfart

Masters to duplication
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »

Hello everyone,
             I`m curious if any of you, are asked to send a master directly to the duplication plant without the client giving it`s final approuval?

How about if it is a project you`ve already done and approuved, and they are simply adding a track?

Thank you in advance for your reply,

Oldfart

Denis Paquette

MoreSpaceEcho

Re: Masters to duplication
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:51:43 PM »

i'll upload the ref for them to hear/approve, and if it's cool, occasionally they'll have me send the master directly to the duplicator.

i did one record last year where the band was in a super rush, they had me send it out without even hearing it first. i was flattered they trusted me, but that is just crazy.

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:12:58 PM »

Often - But at that point, they've usually heard 'test files' of some sort -- Plus, almost without fail, I'm sending a copy to the client at the same time so if there's anything 'goofy' they can call the plant and put the brakes on.  

Because no one ever gives me the wrong song order...   Laughing
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:35:45 PM »

I send masters directly to replicators and duplicators all the time - but only after receiving approval for either reference files or discs.  Since I work off a fixed data image to create both the reference files and the master disc it's easy enough with an error check (or if doubly paranoid a load back and null test in addition) that the master is in fact data identical to the reference files.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Oldfart

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »

Thank you gentlemen for your reply thus far.

For those of you who do send directly to duplication, what about track to track volume ajustments or spacing (when it isn`t the straight 2 seconds)?

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »

When I send test files, the client basically just needs to line them up end to end and they're hearing exactly what I'm hearing - Volume, spacing, etc.
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:15:45 PM »

MASSIVE Mastering wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 19:30

When I send test files, the client basically just needs to line them up end to end and they're hearing exactly what I'm hearing - Volume, spacing, etc.

Same here - although I also offer to send the refs for an album as either cue+wav or DDP image that they can load into the Sonoris DDP Player OEM copy I send them for free so that all subcodes and index points are the same as I've set them up for their master.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ed Littman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:56 AM »

After mastering the most aggressive song first & sending that for approval(this establishes the vibe, tone, & loudness of the record)I'll then send a wave file of the whole cd for them to listen all the way through. after thats approved I'll create the physical masters.
To address the original question... I feel uncomfortable sending the master out without the process above. Nothings wrong with sending the master directly to the plant as long the client has been in the loop & approved the work. If it's just adding one song to a project thats been approved already & the clients tight on time(like I'm doing today) I'll just send the extra song for approval. & send the master directly to the plant.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.