R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Downtown: What Are PSW guys doing?  (Read 39917 times)

Nicky D

Re: Downtown: What Are PSW guys doing?
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »

bob ebeling wrote on Wed, 06 October 2010 11:45

Charles Hughes and I wanted to create a studio of all glitchy and malfunctioning gear.  We worked almost how you described...first take only and never really knowing where we were going until we got there.

I find preproduction really important with bands though, even if it's just me attending a few rehearsals, making notes and discussing.  Gets me prepared for the personalities and gear I'll be micing too.  This can help to flush out poor arrangements beforehand also.

But I'm also lumping gear rental and borrowing, musician choices, venue choices, etc.. into preproduction.

yeah being prepared and ready...that is definitely pre pro and essential...maybe I just meant too much musical pre pro...anyway whatever way you do it, you're getting good results!!...it just reminded me of how much fun recording can be if you leave some room for discovery...and put yourself on the spot once in a while.

bob ebeling

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2010, 12:14:02 PM »

I'm with you!  I have this problem that I can't even recall anything that I did...been sitting on the couch relearning the songs to myself, just kind of wondering what chords I was using, what progressions.  I'm in a curious 'try to understand those 10 years' spot, with a 3 month old hanging around being very demanding once every few hours.

...but prepro is definitely for budget sessions I guess.  I would LOVE to take everything from a directors standpoint and just feel the talent out and then command them.  I think the results would be so much more artistic-- and very hard to book!

For 4 years now since I left NYC I have forced myself to negate the ego and figure out how to be an expensive tool (not the VH1 type) for people to use.  Strictly quality control, obsessive quality control, engineering with a very small dash of opinion.      
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2010, 09:04:21 AM »

Hey!  For all of you post-shoegaze fanatics I forgot to share one important bomb with ya if you missed it in 1994.

Truly 'Fast Stories from Kid Coma'

This is one of my favorite all time records that is so damn mind-blowing everytime I listen.

If you youtube the album title you can check out some tracks.
But find a copy of the record!!  It's the 'Sgt. Peppers' of Generation X.  No kidding.

And from there, the singer/lead man Robert Roth did an incredible sweeping solo LP in 2002 called 'Someone Somewhere'.  Just as cool and timeless in a slightly more grown up way.

I got to record some tracks for Truly's new LP last year and Robert and I are still trying to figure out how to have two heads in one room from 3500 miles away.

Truly 'Fast Stories...Kid Coma' is just amazing.  John Agnello did some of it.
'Someone Somewhere' is kind of the American version of OK Computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK5nEwQ0cWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8PFpyycjY&feature=relat ed
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2010, 02:19:36 PM »

For our fans, I just wanted to announce that EH IV is has recieved a major tweak and is nearing a true release.  I have to find out more myself as all I've been allowed to do is audio.  The 'others' won't fill me in but I sense a special tone in their vocies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3_GCxbTVLs

There was so much 'leterally!' tape on the copping room floor that EH IV should be quite an experience maybe cooler than Transfigured night even?
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3xm6y6

this link will allow you to download a very rare recrod done in 1995/6 by Ebeling Hughes.

Enjoy it while it lasts!
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2010, 02:19:20 AM »

I'm trying to make the zip format more people friendly.  If you are interested in some very heady stuff from a couple o chaps trying to figure out recording like that ape figuing out the bone in 2001....pm me and I'll send you the mp3's.

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »

Hey all fellow audio lovers!

I finally joined the revolution!  Check it out!

http://bobebeling.bandcamp.com/
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2010, 11:34:14 AM »

http://bobebeling.bandcamp.com/album/downtown

I added the record some of you guys were asking for now.  There ya go!  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Todd Loomis

• Real Full Name: Todd Loomis
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2010, 06:27:53 PM »

bob ebeling wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 09:34

http://bobebeling.bandcamp.com/album/downtown

I added the record some of you guys were asking for now.  There ya go!  

I just picked it up (FLAC).  Sounds really great...  awesome songs & production Bob...   Listening now.

bob ebeling

« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »

Thanks Todd!  I haven't been very busy around here because I finally undertook making my 12 plus cd biography available in full with outtakes and alternate mixes.

Check it out, alot of work the past few weeks!

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2010, 02:06:58 AM »

Wow man, really great tunes.  Very classy synth/guitar choices, I really dig it!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

bob ebeling

« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2010, 07:43:11 AM »

Bubba Kron has GREAT TASTE IN MUSIC!!!!!  hee hee

No, but seriously, three of the records are marked as basically free download if you look for them, someone found them this morning.

The ones I'm really proud of are obviously my last two, 'Life on High' and 'Climb Down From the Hill'.  'Climb Down' the most right now.  That record has many sides to it and was a strange situation turned on its side then used for the best and recorded out of hotel rooms.  I have a personal love for it.

'Life on High' took a L-o-o-ng time to get right.  Trying to do something half positive is quite challenging for me.  Plus its a double LP set up.  18 full on big time jams.

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

bob ebeling

« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2010, 02:37:29 PM »

All 9 records with bonus material FREE for all you psw'ers!!!
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Seb Riou

« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2010, 01:21:53 AM »

Downloading !
Great music Bob
A class act, definetely

bob ebeling

« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »

Thank you Seb.  You have put an afternoon grin on my face.  Bandcamp is a cool site.  I like how nobody can toss their meager or not opinion in, it just exists.  I like too how you can keep adding to existing albums.  For years I thought of how to tackle the mountain of remixes, remasters, etc... now I can do a little at a time.  Hell, 'the Little Bugs Glow' is already up to 38 tracks from it's 1996 13 or 14!  If I would have had to sit back and make a plan, this never would have happened.
Also, 'Climb Down From The Hills', which totally got shafted hardcore by the label, I finally feel like it's getting it's day, 4 years later.  
Sound Cloud is next, then I might tackle the old I-tunes.  It's interesting for a guy like myself who has never had the heart or guts to brag, boast, and generally promote the crap out of finished works to the world--I'm sure partially my downfall, but bandcamp.com is aligned with my brainwaves and at least it exists now.  I mean, patting myself on the back aside, and I'm sure there are a few hundred others like myself, I would spend years on these records, on tones, on snares, on synths, but then that would be the end and I'd be kinda satisfied yet wondering why the world wasn't discovering it.  Then I learned it's (in a way)not the content, just he lawyers and bs involved, back in the Eminem/KidRock days this lesson became quite evident.

I feel hope at least.  I appreciate the vote of confidence, and though I'd love to believe this is the beginning of some amazing slow wildfire spread across the globe, I've been around the block.

It's always odd to me that more of 'us' don't organize.  But I understand it totally.  Even within a genre like 'space-rock', there is love and hate and selfishness--or my way is the way and your way sucks. hee hee.  Seriously, I know some amazing bands from Detroit like Perplexa, David Straughter, etc... they are great, but I generally just don't listen to them.  I'm being honest here, I'm trying to describe some phenomenom that happens within the more esoteric rock forms.  I love all who trample that path, I just have kids and a studio to run, and I don't have time to dedicate to obsessing over every cool band that comes along, of which there are so many.

Rock strange!!!!
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.