R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sweet Soul Music...  (Read 10853 times)

Fletcher

Sweet Soul Music...
« on: August 22, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »

So... a friend sent me a link to a You Tube video and told me I would like it.  Well, for once, he hit the nail on the head.  

So then... I went to share it on Facebook with some of my other friends and saw that Ross [Whatever Works Ross] had posted it last Friday [story of my life, day late and a dollar short... but I digress].

Besides the brilliant lyrical styling... the backing vocal arrangement is KILLING me!!! ... as is the percussion and B-3.  

If there was radio, with a couple of lyric changes this could [should] be [at least in my twisted perception of reality] a massive hit in the "Otis Redding" / "Jackson 5" vein of seriously cool shit on the radio.  Alas... all we will have is viral You Tube passing around of this gem.

In the meanwhile, here's a link to the new Cee-Lo Green single that has been wafting through my apartment all day [I think we've probably played this about 8 or 10 times so far today!!].

Share it with your friends!!!

Peace

PS: In the world of "full disclosure" Cee-Lo is a T-funk user and endorser... this affiliation has nothing to do with my posting this link, but I thought I ought to mention it so there is no potential for "conflict of interest".
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

compasspnt

Re: Sweet Soul Music...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »

What Sweet Soul Music video?  Arthur Conley?  Mimed or the live one with the wrong horn parts? Or maybe the Ike & Tine one?

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 22 August 2010 19:12

What Sweet Soul Music video?  Arthur Conley?  Mimed or the live one with the wrong horn parts? Or maybe the Ike & Tine one?

D) None of the above... the one in the link on the original post redundanly placed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAV0XrbEwNc
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »

Ah, sorry.  I thought from the title of the thread there was a reference to the song Sweet Soul Music.

Otitis Media

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »

"Sweet Soul Music" *THAT* is a tasty track. Wasn't Arthur Conley a protege of Otis Redding?

Cee-Lo is great - I've dug his stuff since the late 1990s.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

QUEEF BAG

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 10:05:41 PM »

as soon as that was over i'm like

F*CK YEAH!

F*CKIN' LOVE IT!

thank you

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:20:26 PM »

Otitis Media wrote on Sun, 22 August 2010 21:52

"Sweet Soul Music" *THAT* is a tasty track. Wasn't Arthur Conley a protege of Otis Redding?

Yes.

Otis was looking to expand into the actual business side, somewhat as his idol Sam Cooke had.

He co-wrote SSM and took Arthur down to FAME studios in Muscle Shoals to track it, purposely not involving Stax/Volt, to whom he was signed as an artist.

FAME is also where "When A Man Loves A Woman" was done.

Some musicians on the recording are the same ones you would hear on an Otis record, or others on Stax, a couple of horn players, for instance.

That record very much IS Otis.

Otitis Media

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:45:32 PM »

The horns on that track kill me. As does the energy in the whole thing.

And "When A Man Loves a Woman" also slays for entirely different reasons, but then again, it's the same reason. Soul.
Dan Roth
Hired Gun

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 03:10:31 AM »

I was indeed making something of a gag reference to the original, and now find myself on the bonus plan.

Thanx for taking the time Terry!!

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Halfway Competent

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »

Hah, I love this song!  This is a new favorite now.  Laughing

Thanks for posting, Fletcher!

Kassonica

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »

WOW I found this song the other day and it had 340k plays 2 days later and it's 1.6million...

Funkest. catchest song I've heard in ages and I love the production and mix...

Killer kick drum sound.

Oh did I mention the clever lyrics    
Mark Ludwig

Should have been a Drummer

Berolzheimer

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:41:42 PM »

This has GOT to go into the movie I'm working on right now- in which Cameron Diaz plays a foul mouthed, gold digging middle school teacher.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

amorris

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »

thats great! youre right, lyrics are great in spots, but other spots a little weak. but thats some singin!

Bryson

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:42:23 AM »

ssltech

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »

New 'official' video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0mxOXbWIU

I still like it! Very Happy
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

KB_S1

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 05:44:32 PM »

I do really like his voice.

The official video is nice but I think I prefer the lyric sheet video.
The font is so cool.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

mell

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 07:01:22 AM »

dutch radio is playing this every hour and every day on 3FM a major station, ..i love it!!!

Sayat Nova

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »

Very satisfying on many levels...Wink

Thank you, Fletcher for this.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 12:18:41 AM »

And now...the reply!

Vance Gilbert - Kiss My Ass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaqNHD3oTj0

Laughing

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Fletcher

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 07:44:54 PM »

Excellent!!!

I just wish more music was projected in this vein rather than the "auto - tuned" horrid horseshit that I hear on a more regular basis -- this is a war I can whole-heartedly support!!!!!

Viva la Soul baby!!!!
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Otitis Media

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 08:29:26 PM »

That Vance Gilbert thing hurts. Ouch. Really? Old dude with nothing better to do than act like a fool who's just seen his first music video?

Dan Roth
Hired Gun

itsapleasure

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »

Hahaha.. clever concept.  Too bad it just doesn't have anywhere near the class of the Cee-Lo  track...  If he made a listenable track, it would have been freakin amazing.  

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »

Yikes.

Lots of class on both sides...

Fletcher

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 03:33:47 AM »

I dunno - one is a great song with lyrics the kids will latch onto - one is an amusing [and woefully underfunded] parody [and I do love parodies - I'm a sucker for them]... either way - approaching something that might be near a "melody" is a good thing - or maybe I just heard way too much "cookie cutter" / "aerosol" crap coming out of my youngest daughter's room for too many years and mistook that for actual "current" music [the older one was way into "indie" bands and stuff that ranged from Zappa to  70's punk to Billie Holiday and other stuff you don't expect most kids in their late teens to gravitate towards]
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »

I saw him do it on some late night show.

He was asked to say a different word for the f-word.

He did that once, and then said the f-word afterwards.

It is a cool song. Good arrangement.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

itsapleasure

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 03:33

... [and woefully underfunded]

One man's "woefully underfunded" is another man's "shitty".  The heart's there, just not the execution.  I guess he just didn't sell me on the whole concept of him having "more class"...haha.    

totally hear ya though.  it's appreciated!  I'm a stickler for parody too... to the point of being a bit of a parody snob!  Hayseed Dixie?  Hated em... (long story behind that tho..lol)

Fletcher

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »

See I love Hayseed Dixie - and while I guess it could be a "parody" recording, I never looked at it that way... what I love about that record is that it shows that a great song will transcend genre -- there are a few tracks ["You Shook Me" being one of them] that I think almost work BETTER as bluegrass songs.  Could just be my twisted love of Bluegrass - I dunno - but they are great songs, and to me they transcend genre.

While "Lounge Against The Machine" was intended as a parody recording, that too shows that good songs can go anywhere and still be good - where "eh" songs need to stay in their original presentation to work.

I could be wrong, but that's my take on it and I'm sticking to it... and while I think the second "response" song is NO WHERE NEAR as good [or even in the ballpark] its still better than so much other crap I'm subjected to on a regular basis that I'm willing to give its shortcomings a pass.

As always - YMMV [though I am intrigued about why you're not into Hayseed - if you feel like typing the tale I'd be more than interested to read].

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 07:46:07 PM »

That cee-lo track is one bad-ass funky tune!!  For once, something not sampled from an old recording!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

itsapleasure

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »

Well, the Hayseed thing is purely just bitterness on my part..  I'll be the first to admit it.  

I was in a heavy metal bluegrass band before they surfaced that IMO smoked em on the "concept" end (ie: authenticity).  We had some vocal arrangements that took it to another level, and a front man who would have you pissing yourself...  

Just my opinion though!  We didn't last long.. other projects had us living in separate states a couple of months after we got it going.  

Like I said, I'm a bit of a parody (or whatever you wanna call it) snob...  The guys that I grew up w/ are questionable musicians but definitely brilliant writers and comedians.  I just like to see a concept given it's full attention (like musicians and engineers can be "perfectionists" I'm obsessed w/ seeing a concept through).  

I agree, some of those songs work better as bluegrass songs.  Even Pour Some Sugar On Me.  I'll try to dig some of our old shit up and send it your way.  

itsapleasure

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 08:09:32 PM »

itsapleasure wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 20:07

I was in a heavy metal bluegrass band before they surfaced that IMO smoked em on the "concept" end (ie: authenticity).  

what a short film.  bitter B-rate heavy metal bluegrass musician's got a score to settle... Laughing
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.