R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lucas CS-1 / Vocal mic shootout strategies  (Read 35431 times)

Rod Affleck

Re: Lucas CS-1 / Vocal mic shootout strategies
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »

Steve Hudson wrote on Wed, 06 October 2010 11:36

Back on topic, here's a shot of Kim Deschamps (Cowboy Junkies, Blue Rodeo, Charlie & Bruce Robison), whose Dobro and acoustic guitar sounded just killer with my CS-1 last week. The Wunder is just there out of the way until we tracked Kim's vocals.

Heh, small world. Kim produced my sister-in-law's album earlier this year and did some pedal steel work on it as well. Sadly, no CS-1 was available for the recording.
Rod Affleck

Steve Hudson

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »

Rod Affleck wrote on Thu, 07 October 2010 13:43

Steve Hudson wrote on Wed, 06 October 2010 11:36

Back on topic, here's a shot of Kim Deschamps (Cowboy Junkies, Blue Rodeo, Charlie & Bruce Robison), whose Dobro and acoustic guitar sounded just killer with my CS-1 last week. The Wunder is just there out of the way until we tracked Kim's vocals.

Heh, small world. Kim produced my sister-in-law's album earlier this year and did some pedal steel work on it as well. Sadly, no CS-1 was available for the recording.

Kaya can borrow one of mine any time, she is a fantastic talent and her record sounds amazing! At my studio, Kim is at the very top of the list of people we'd like to shoot because they make us look so mediocre as musicians and players. We were tracking a song Kim and I co-wrote this summer for our upcoming solo records and, having recorded him on Dobro earlier this year with the CS-1, it was a no-brainer to set it up and dial it in to capture Kim's amazing tone and unique attack.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

bob ebeling

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2010, 09:26:12 PM »

I got to cut an up and coming Female R&B singer this week.  Holy lord can she sing and conjure emotions on command.  The producer and I were shaping each line.  "Start reserved, then get mad on the word 'soul', then just finish sad" would be a recollection of how we were coaching the lines.  (The producer wrote the song and though I'm into natural performances, I have to say I agreed that this was a song that called for that perfect finesse of each phrase).  

Anyway, the CS-1 was FLAWLESS.  Open, warm, just so pretty.  The song has two different 'characters', a low smokey voiced one and a all out 'Beyonce' type.  The CS-1 just eats it up and gives you ...oh Larry Silverman, it just dawned on me.  Your 'Perfect Lens' theory. It is that, but it just holds the performance on a silver platter.  Fun mic.  Especially with talent of that caliber!  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Rod Affleck

« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2010, 08:22:31 AM »

Steve Hudson wrote on Thu, 07 October 2010 23:07

Kaya can borrow one of mine any time, she is a fantastic talent and her record sounds amazing!

Nice! I've passed along your compliments. My dream is to have Kaya and my wife Jade in the same city long enough to collaborate and record something. While Kaya has the songwriting chops, Jade's voice is equal to hers (I'm biased of course), and they way they can harmonize with each other is simply unreal. Sadly, Canada's a big country, and we're at opposite ends.

And yeah, Kim is a formidable musician. I'd love to surround myself with guys like him to make myself look bad Smile

/thread derail

Rod Affleck

Eric H.

« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »

My CS-1s are very sensitive to humidity. Does anyone else have had problem with this during vocals?
eric harizanos

KB_S1

« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »

Eric H. wrote on Tue, 19 October 2010 19:28

My CS-1s are very sensitive to humidity. Does anyone else have had problem with this during vocals?

What symptoms? not noticed anything yet.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Eric H.

« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »

noise that are present when there is humidity and goes away while drying. I've done the breathing test and it is not good.
eric harizanos

KB_S1

« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2010, 05:06:04 PM »

Eric H. wrote on Tue, 19 October 2010 21:50

noise that are present when there is humidity and goes away whiling drying. I've done the breathing test and it is not good.

Definitely not had this.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

bob ebeling

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2010, 07:01:43 AM »

Not a single issue here...but I've got killer central air and a portable for mix days (all racks powered up = lot's of heat).

We have some of the worst humidity here on the southern coast of Virginia.  This Summer had at least 30 days of 100 plus degree temps.  Pile on 90% humidity and it is very literally walking out into an oven.  The temperature guage down by the pool regularly read 140+ in the sun.  If you don't have about a double sized unit, your hurting.  (We went straight to a 4 ton)

Anyway, 50 or 60 singers, screamers, breathers, etc... no issues.

Oliver and Terry will help you immediately if you post this issue over on the main thread on Whatever Works, or just e-mail them.  

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Eric H.

« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2010, 06:38:38 AM »

It probably was a very damp room where i was, because i redid the test at home yesterday, and it didn't react to the breath test.
I had never experienced that problem before with other condensers, so i though it was the mic.

The Cs-1 is also very quiet for a tube mic, which makes any other noise appear. I've had for example an oscillating lo end sound the other day. it is really a low end black hole. from what i saw and heard, it easily goes down to 20hz. this is where it is handy to have a good eq to tape to carve carefully that low end.
eric harizanos

bob ebeling

« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2010, 06:11:57 PM »

I've been digging the highpass on the Daking 52270 because you get 25 then 50.  Both are very transparent ways of knocking it out.  The pre adds a little lift to that ruler flat midrange.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

KB_S1

« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »

I tend to stick the HP on with most Lucas recordings.

It has the most incredible low end response and unfortunately my current scenario seems to have some very low level bass noise issues.

Hearing the microwave platter motor turning through the mic from about 10m and an internal wall away was very strange.

Eric H.

« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2010, 08:14:18 AM »

Exactly. the mic hear things that we are not aware of...yet. it will force us to developp our hearing on many areas. that in itself is great tool to progress. and the excitment is always captured in its integrity. another forte!
eric harizanos

bob ebeling

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »

Seems like Foley houses would LOVE the CS-1.  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.