R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lucas CS-1 / Vocal mic shootout strategies  (Read 35285 times)

Samc

Re: Lucas CS-1 Microphone: Whispers secrets acoss the ages.
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2010, 01:47:18 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 27 September 2010 16:46

Samc wrote on Mon, 27 September 2010 11:10

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 27 September 2010 14:30

...on average, I find most singers give their best interpretation of the feel, the voice is in the best place, everything has jelled, on the third take...

Thanks, this is not very far from my own observations.

Which is often...about twenty minutes.

Hang on a minute, I was in general agreement with the entire post, not just this statement.  In my experience, the second or third take is usually due to the singer not being comfortable with the lyrics or song in general at first, not because there voice needs to warm up...
Sam Clayton

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »

Voice actor and voice over people with whom I have worked usually "warm up" in the "green room" when you're at a "cattle call" audition for a job.
The reason for that, you only get one chance in front of the mic and only for the time it takes to read about 30 seconds of the script which they at least provide you ahead of time.
90 per cent of the time, the mic is a U87 for the men and a choice of three for the women.
What you may end up using for the actual job could be whatever the client/producer/engineer decides best captures what they want to hear.
When there is a choice of microphones already set up in the studio, it takes me only about a minute to decide which one I prefer but it's always up the the producer/engineer which one finally is chosen.
Unless there's a great U47 around, it usually ends up being the U87 for my voice but the CS-1 in my listening test was just a hair away from the U47.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2010, 07:38:32 AM »

bob ebeling wrote on Sun, 26 September 2010 11:40

Fletcher, you're totally right on warm up too.  I've caught alot of first take everythings, but very few vocals.

20 minutes of actual singing and usually I hear a zone come about.  But some guys it can be longer.  Some guys you just have to whip out the Jack Daniels.

And then there are those rare ones that it's just the first take!  

You want to make me puke the first take? Keep the Jack Daniels under the sink with the drain cleaner.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

bob ebeling

Re: Lucas CS-1 / Vocal mic shootout strategies
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2010, 10:16:20 AM »

HAha Adam, I've sworn off the Jack Daniels for many a year now.  Was more of a rock thing.  Worked wonders with those dudes at times, especially the cokeheads, and totally made a track (the whole pint!) with Tim from Hemigod (Atlantic).  I'll never forget that take.  

One night, another Radioheadesque act's singer was feeling plastic, so we went to Gusoline Alley, just up the railroad tracks in Royal Oak, MI, and got real lit up with Vodka whilst listening to their juke box, voted the best in Detroit.  Raw rock jukebox, vodka, got back to the studio and suddenly this guy was Mick Jagger.  One take AND the ruff mix from that night (lacking lot's of highend!) went on the final record.

I'm not advocating drinking in the studio anymore though.  I'm also doing alot of hip-hop and R&B now.  Alot of music where the attitude of the vocalist has to be just right.  Alot of people just start getting into their groove after 15 or 20 minutes, with some direction.  "Now bring the swagger!" is the general direction given time and again.  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »

Johnnie Walker Black, straight up please. JD IMO is harsh at best. Thats what I meant. If I needed to have some alcohol for a take, make it good alcohol at least, please. Too big a hassle for me to upload a pic, but anyhoo.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »

I was a nervous mess when it came time to track my lead vocal on the very first single I recorded in 1980. The studio owner/engineer suggested I drink a blend of Jack Daniels, honey and lemon to soothe my throat. He had all the ingredients and mixed me up a generous batch. Must have worked, as I have no memory of the rest of the session.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

bob ebeling

« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2010, 11:49:50 AM »

I'm with you Adam, but my only 80 proof pleasure anymore is watching MASH reruns.  MASH is a good word for the resulting colon oriented state that I get left in by even the aged best.

I used to use Jack or Jim, maybe Johnny Red a bit, for alot of people, but the method was only a cap full.  The vocal tone is instantly smoothed out by even a tad bit.    
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Fletcher

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »

On the liquor front -- I once brought a singer out of a "red light fever" state by giving up on a vocal session, leaving the bass player running the machines, and a couple of bottles of Jim Beam in the control room.  They didn't get anything useful that night but it least it got him singing without fear... and I got a great take in the morning [the song we worked on was about being hungover - so he was "in character"]... one of the other nice things about "residential" studios.

Generally the "liquor" thing is more about managing the phlegm in the back of a singer's throat than anything else... and like most intoxicant's - "a little dab'll do ya".  The "capful" concept is usually sufficient... though some work well on a full shot, and others work well for about 15-20 minutes on a full shot then need an hour to regain "pitch".

I've found that every singer has a comfort point and that the difficult thing is to find that comfort point.  If its a "one off" session [like a guest appearance] then you do what you can do - and if you're wise, don't try to "coach" too much.  If its an album project then you can take the time to find the "comfort zone" [happy place?] and work from there.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Podgorny

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 04 October 2010 13:33

like most intoxicant's - "a little dab'll do ya".  The "capful" concept is usually sufficient... though some work well on a full shot

Some work best after having a flu shot.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Fletcher

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2010, 06:52:53 PM »

Never seen that happen - care to elaborate?
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

compasspnt

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2010, 07:08:51 PM »

I've had a singer here and there who needed to be shot.

Fletcher

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »

Please Terry - do tell...
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

bob ebeling

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2010, 06:11:57 PM »

Well, there are the ones who show up at 7pm on a noon start, lay on the couch, call their manager and beg for more coke.....
....but then again we did get a vocal out of him later that night and he did get a 1.4 million dollar deal.  But those days are oh so gone.  Aren't they?  Justin Beiber isn't a cokehead is he?

(Live and Let Die is playing in the background as the credits role...)(Seriously)
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Steve Hudson

« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »

Back on topic, here's a shot of Kim Deschamps (Cowboy Junkies, Blue Rodeo, Charlie & Bruce Robison), whose Dobro and acoustic guitar sounded just killer with my CS-1 last week. The Wunder is just there out of the way until we tracked Kim's vocals.

index.php/fa/15554/0/
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

bob ebeling

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »

CS-1.  What a great great mic.  That mic makes me happy.  I just keep recording alot of vocals, constantly.  One or two people who it didn't work on and it wasn't gonna work with any condenser for those two.

Nice to hear some feedback on instrument results Steve.  Please do tell, I don't get to do alot of that right now.

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 19 queries.