R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lucas CS-1 / Vocal mic shootout strategies  (Read 35442 times)

bob ebeling

Lucas CS-1 / Vocal mic shootout strategies
« on: August 21, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »

[Moderator note:  I changed the title of the thread because there are a couple of different things in play.  That will happen as threads grow to multiple pages and mutate -- but there is good stuff all the way through]

____________________________________________________________ ____________________

The Lucas CS-1 Microphone.  It took me a while to get it.

This mic does have a large learning curve.  Similar to that of a Massive Passive if you've experienced that.  You have to learn to get out of the way and let the mic be the powerful lens that it is.

I could see most experienced engineers fumbling around for a while just like I did.  If you are a first reaction only guy, you will pass a judgement and totally miss this.

I am getting the technique down.  Do not eq.  Find that spot in your preamp where you have alot of headroom.  I'm talking gain within the steps of input gain.  

If you are a one trick pony guy, which I must admit I am alot, this mic could confuse you at first.

Having been through the confusion, having learned the real way, on the job, under fire, with the $2 per minute clock rolling....the Lucas CS-1 is a state of the art tool.  

Sure it's a mic, it's a simple path, expensive component mic.  But Oliver Archut uses his ears and I don't know what happens in that process, but something magical does happen, and those who give this mic one chance, treating it like it's a U87,  sliding it in their normal positions and pulling the inputs from one mic to replace them with the Lucas, are going to be puzzled and lost.

If it's not your thing, I understand, but I also believe you have not gotten it at all.  You cannot judge this mic in one setting.

I personally love tools that have new surprises hidden inside for you.  When I first got the API 5500 EQ, I could have sold it on my first reaction.  Now I love it so much.  The Lucas CS-1 has been a similar experience.  It doesn't have an easily definable trait.  It forces your engineering to be better and tools like that are not easy to come by.  

To Oliver and Terry and Jeff, especially Oliver, thank you from a deep respectful and thankful place.  There are few things left in the world that make every day an exciting experience.  You have made my lust for studio work increase.

To those few who have dogged the Lucas out early on, I think you may have rushed to judgment.  Also, if it legitimately wasn't for you, so be it, I get it.  It is a totally different beast, thank God.

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Podgorny

Re: Lucas CS-1 Microphone: Whispers secrets acoss the ages.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:55:04 PM »

Dude, it's a microphone, not a magic wand.

Speaking of which, I would buy a mic from David Copperfield.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »

Thanks Bob. I know what you mean, because I had quite a learning curve when we were refining the prototypes.

Reminds me of what Butch Vig wrote me after he had used his for a week or so:

Hi Terry and Oliver,

Just wanted to let you know that we've been really enjoying the CS-1's - they are really capturing all the detail and depth of whatever we put them in front of. We've tried them on acoustics, banjos, ukelele and drums and while there is a bit of a learning process in regards to placement and pattern choice, they really are great. I was particularly surprised when i was getting the drum sound together and when i pushed the faders up i thought "wow - that sounds pretty awesome right out of the box"...

then i noticed that the only channel assigned to the stereo buss was the CS-1!

it was all right there - the attack, balance and space - and i hadn't really placed the mic.. it was just randomly pointing at the kit!

still have a lot of experimenting to do as all the habits i have don't really apply to them and i have to rethink things a bit but needless to say we're very happy with 'em!

b

The bold was his, not mine.

But I guess Kyle is also right, it's "just" a microphone...

bob ebeling

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »

Butches room must sound pretty spectacular.  I can imagine he had a moment of idetification when he heard the solo'd mics.

There is something clinically truthful yet the fairy dust is sprinkled ever so right to taste.

Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Podgorny

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 11:46:55 PM »

Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice microphone.

But still, it does its thing. Brilliant on many sources, not perfect for everything.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

bob ebeling

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 01:51:37 AM »

Are you describing the U47, C12, 251, M49, or CS-1?

Can you expound on your findings?  What is 'it's thing'?  What is it brilliant on and what is it not perfect on?  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Podgorny

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 12:21:08 PM »

bob ebeling wrote on Sun, 22 August 2010 00:51

Are you describing the U47, C12, 251, M49, or CS-1?

All of the above?

Honestly, the CS-1 didn't blow me away for pop vocals (of the close-miced variety).  Certainly not the way an M49 or 269c does.

For instruments, it was great. As has been said, it's like a lens into the recording room - like being there. But that's not always what I desire in a microphone.
And while I do have complaint's about the CS-1's lack of shock-mounting, I think it's a wonderful microphone, and look forward to Oliver's other offerings.

marcel

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:48 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Sat, 21 August 2010 17:55

Speaking of which, I would buy a mic from David Copperfield.

Like this?
Best, Marcel

bob ebeling

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »

Fair enough.  Sounds like you spent some time with it before you parted.

The 'clinical lens' description does no justice.  You'd think it's a Schoeps mic from the way this is primarily proclaimed.  But far from that, there is a wonderful euphonic cradle and grind around this accuracy.
As for the close micing for vocals, great voices sound amazing.  Soft vocals sound amazing.  Screamy or loud or questionable tone vocals sound horrible.  So it can flatter and expose.

Oliver is a technician, not purely, but the mic is definitely a technical mic, maybe too much so for some?  But the man grows veggies and raises animals and is all the beautiful parts of the German folk that I grew up with (I'm a full 50%). This mic has that technical outwardness (a near 7 foot tall German engineer) but underneath is a uniquely textured sensitive tone.  These qualities are slightly protected and not worn on the sleeve, but the more time I spend with it, the more complex and mystifying it becomes.

Yup, it's just a mic.  And this is just life.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

J.J. Blair

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »

I think the problem for many people is that they see the mic and expect a C12ish sound.  If the mic had a shape with no prior association, I don't think anybody would say anything other than "this mic is amazing."  

It is definitely a unique beast.  In a couple apps, it's the best mic I ever used.  In the applications where I expected to love it, it wasn't my favorite.  But where it was amazing, I would not have expected it.  

I bought them to replace my UM57s as my OH mics, because the UM57s are a pain in the ass.  I wanted something new that works all the time.  I am overjoyed with how awesome these are in that application.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Kris

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »

I'm not so sure there is a problem for 'many' people!  Maybe a handful on the internet... that's a given.  In my studio it's been an absolute love fest 100% of the time so far.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 03:00:45 PM »

Kris, I haven't really seen internet complaints.  I just know from my experience with the people I let use mine that they were expecting one thing, and found something else, and it was hard for them to get their head around.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Barry Hufker

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »

I own a pair of CS-1s. Are they my favorite mic? No.  Are they good mics?  Yes.  Did I have an preconceptions about their sound?  No.  Do I use them much? No.  They just don't "do it" for me.  But I'm glad to have them as they could be the perfect mic for me at some point.  I'm glad others like them...  they make me think of a very pretty girl with a very large butt.

Barry

DigitMus

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 02:23:07 AM »

Quote:

title=Barry Hufker wrote on Tue, 24 August 2010 16:41...  they make me think of a very pretty girl with a very large butt.

Barry

Which would make her even prettier, according to many current cultures. May we then assume you're from a culture who considers that a detraction from beauty?  Very Happy

Scott

bob ebeling

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 06:41:27 AM »

This mic, more than any other I've come across, is room dependant and position dependant.  The 'move it a few inches' talk on the extended thread is right on.  Also, the pattern changes are like changing microphones more than patterns!  A singer can sound like hell on true cardiod or clicked towards fig 8 and then you click it over towards omni and it becomes heavenly. (or vice versa, or vice vice versa--true cardiod is great, don't get me wrong)
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.